Sign in to follow this  
RikerChick

Deanna's hair

Did anyone notice that in Encounter at Farpoint Deanna wore her hair down and a regular uniform (dress) and then after that they totally switched it to the updo and pantsuits? Does anyone know why they did that? Was Encounter at Farpoint filmed much earlier then the rest of the episodes or something?

10102.jpg115032.jpg

They thought she looked like and I quote "An inter galactic cheerleader." :laugh:

In the first season her nickname on set was "bun head" :blink:

They thought she looked like and I quote "An inter galactic cheerleader." :blink:

In the first season her nickname on set was "bun head" :huh:

LOL! :laugh: Where did they say that?

Yup, the producers thought she looked too cheerleader like and wanted her to look more official.

Well I thought she looked pretty darn cute in the blue dress. :laugh: The updo was a bit much. She looked best in the movies with her natural hair.

The "official" explanation was given in Chain of Command when Jellico ordered her to wear a standard uniform. She said that Picard thought it was better for her to dress as she had been so the crew would open up to her more. :laugh:

Well I thought she looked pretty darn cute in the blue dress.  :laugh: The updo was a bit much. She looked best in the movies with her natural hair.

yeah so do I. I really hated her 1st season hairdoo! it bugs me so much I can't even watch half the episodes! lol

They thought she looked like and I quote "An inter galactic cheerleader." :laugh:

In the first season her nickname on set was "bun head" :blink:

LOL! :huh: Where did they say that?

I think they talk about it in the Star Trek TNG Companion.

Yup, the producers thought she looked too cheerleader like and wanted her to look more official.

Well I thought she looked pretty darn cute in the blue dress. :laugh: The updo was a bit much. She looked best in the movies with her natural hair.

I concur completely

I guess I'm in the minority. I liked the bunhead look. It certainly was an improvement over the frizz monster in Farpoint. :laugh: Other than in Farpoint I would have to say that the only other time I didn't like her hair was when it was like this main.jpg

I think I can safely say that the extensive use of cheerleaders is strictly a US phenomenon. I nearly fell out of my chair when I heard that they have scholarships for cheerleading!! I'm not saying we don't have cheerleaders in Canada but their use is certainly not prevalent. Very small squads for schools and CFL teams is about the extent of their use that I can think of. When my friend and I had season tickets to my CFL team we discovered the unexpected bonus that we sat in the section that had the least cheerleader time. Woo hoo!!! You can probably tell I don't have much use for the concept of cheerleading. This is certainly not meant to be a put down of the the people who do it or like watching it. A lot of it has to do with the sexualization of cheerleaders (more in the professional ranks) - practically non-existent costumes, etc.

Agreed! I always liked her after season 6, when she got into a normal uniform. Untill then, she bugged the heck out of me...(her hair too...intergalactic cheerleader? that's great, lol!)

Don't diss frizzy hair! Mine's like that, and believe me, if there's nothing you can do, there's nothing you can do...

They thought she looked like and I quote "An inter galactic cheerleader." :(

In the first season her nickname on set was "bun head" :huh:

LOL! :blink: Where did they say that?

I think they talk about it in the Star Trek TNG Companion.

yes in the companion and in "Journeys End the Saga of Star Trek The Next Generation" Rick Berman said it.. :laugh: oh by the way on the 6th season hair do my brother said it looked like she has a dead skunk on her head.. :o

I thought the hair was ok and did not get me much, but in the picture Takara posted...the chest! could she show more of her chest? I don't think so! and it bugged me. How could anyone bare their soul to her with her baring her chest like that? :oops:

I thought the hair was ok and did not get me much, but in the picture Takara posted...the chest! could she show more of her chest? I don't think so! and it bugged me. How could anyone bare their soul to her with her baring her chest like that? :oops:

Never thought of that. We want her to look more official so lets show her chest instead of her legs. Yeah that makes sense. ;)

Her catsuits weren't as bad as some of the others. Remember this outfit:

03.jpg

Personally I really liked this outfit but in Data's Day when they showing her preparing her tea and give that clevage shot. ;)

One nice thing about Troi's wardrobe is that they re-used so many of her costumes. A lot more real than other tv programs where you see an outfit once and never again.

Her catsuits weren't as bad as some of the others.  Remember this outfit:

03.jpg

Ack! I couldn't stand that outfit! bedlam.gif (no offence Takara) Not cause of the cleavage, but the leggings under the dress look. ;)

The leggings aren't my favourite part of the outfit either. I liked this outfit better than the catsuits though.

The leggings aren't my favourite part of the outfit either.  I liked this outfit better than the catsuits though.

Yeah, that's for sure. What's with star trek and catsuits anyway?? ;)

You have a point...Or how about the barely there costumes...like the Edo, or some of the TOS outfits?

You have a point...Or how about the barely there costumes...like the Edo, or some of the TOS outfits?

I honestly don't care if some people want to wear skimpy clothes, it doesn't bother me at all. But don't say you're trying to make her more official and then have her hanging out the top of her catsuit. ;)

kinda completely nullifies the effect of professionalism.

Yeah. :D On the other hand, for growing up with a mom like Lwaxana she's remarkably modest. ;)

Yeah. :D On the other hand, for growing up with a mom like Lwaxana she's remarkably modest. ;)

Oh, isn't that an understatement...

Yeah. :innocent: On the other hand, for growing up with a mom like Lwaxana she's remarkably modest. :(

Oh, isn't that an understatement...

and surprisingly not half MAD

can't imagine grewing up with har woman... :(