Sign in to follow this  
jdigs

I Am Thinking Of Getting A Dog

Okay my brothers and sisters of STF.net..I have been pondering getting a dog for some time now..everyone I know is telling me it's not a good idea but I'm not so sure and have been doing research. I spent the later part of my childhood with a dog and loved him, so far I am leaning towards the Labrador Retriever. Do any of you have a Lab? or care to share your thoughts on getting your own dog and the problems that come with it? I'd love to hear all about it, Thx.

I advise not getting a dog if anybody in your house is allergic to clear that up.

I don't have a Lab, but I do have a Golden Retriever. Now these are nice dogs. The same size as labs, but they are long-haired dogs, so they are softer and cuter. Lol.

i dont have a dog but my dad breeds chow chow...and there great....i would say get a dog

you've had experince when you was younger with dog's so why not, you know the responsabiltys

when i get a dog i want.....

#1 a house...and not an appartment

#2 a big garden(depending what dog i get)

#3 my dog will live out side...there animals and can handle it perfectly..just gotta

get um used to it.....i say this coz i know ppl and there dogs have taken over...

sad sight but true

Had a couple of (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't)z-Tzus when I was a kid but unfortunatley they went overboard and they were gone. But anyway, they were just the best little dogs. But since they are small, you should get 2, a male and a female. You should ONLY get a dog because you really want one, they are alot of work but very good company. I loved them very much. :clap:

OK, can you believe that?? They censored the dog breed! S H E E T Z T S U, is THAT ok? :clap::theking:

Edited by Jeanway

They censored the dog breed!

:theking: WE did nothing of the sort; the softwear did. :clap:

We have a cat.

Edited by Alterego

Sorry, AE, I knew it was the program that did it, I didn't mean you. I said They meaning the system, or program, Sorry. I should have just spelled it out this way to begin with. 'S H I T Z T Z U', LET'S SEE IF THAT WORKS.

Edited by Jeanway

I have two dogs, so here is my advice:

Dogs are wonderful loyal friends, if you are willing to have them they are great.

Here are the ups and downs of them:

1. Make sure you aren't allergic to them.

2. Make sure you've got the space.

3. Make sure you've got the right age. Depending on how much of a challenge you want, there are three basic ages and pre trained dogs...Pound dog (I've got two, they're very apprecietive), breeded puppy (challenging) or a breeded and partially trained one or two year old dog (these are generally easier if it's the first time you've owned your own dog)

4. Size. If you want a lab, make sure you've got lot's of space, they can be energetic and need exersise. They should also be walked a lot.

Dogs can also be much like children. They want attention and love and need a bit of dicipline. When we got our second dog, she was trouble :theking: But a year of patience has helped and she's much better behaved. :clap:

I would love to get a dog when i was younger and at home we had a Norwegian Elkhound. He was so cool. He was regestaired King Thor of Ruby Hills.

Live in A Apartment now Have a cat but love her just as much maybe more

just wish she would not sleep on my head

As a Doggie *mother* I would say get a dog but remember they depend on you as a child would a parent and if your not ready for that responsibility volunteer at the local non-kill animal shelter. I adore my little doggie son. He's going to be 6 on his birthday on 13 September. (I'm planning his birthday party for the family and he may have a little party at doggie daycare.) When we found out that I'm sterile, I was heartbroken and my husband when out and brought me home our little Travis Spencer. I guess I'm one of those people that allows the love of a gentle little hairy creature to take my heartstrings. Crystal

Edited by BlueCrystal

As a Doggie *mother* I would say get a dog but remember they depend on you as a child would a parent

That's so true. Dogs are like children(a lot of them think they ARE children). They need a lot of attention, so if you have any doubts over whether you have enough time and money, go with Crystal's advice and volunteer at a shelter. If you still want a furry friend of your own, but don't have the time for a dog, then I suggest a cat, they can be just as loving as dogs(even if they do act very differently) but they don't demand as much attention.

IMO: I think that since you want a lab you really should have a backyard of some type. They're big dogs and need space to play. If you don't have a backyard, then you could always get a different breed that's smaller or calmer. Personally, I've heard that greyhounds are (ironically) pretty laid back, and they're a good size too. If you don't mind little dogs, Havanesse are like teeny labs (personallity-wise) but they're rare and ridiculously expensive, but hey. sounds like a good little dog if you've got tons of money to burn

I am so happy that I got a dog 2 years ago. Astro has been a joy in my life. I can't wait until I'm back to Japan and bail him out of the kennel.