Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Can Phlox Have More/less Than Three Wives?

Work? Gee what is that? I'll have to look into that term between scrubbing floors, laundry, walking my husband's prized birddog, being made to wash his car in semi-nudity as my husband insist that I wear a bikini top that is 3 times too small. Oh and shopping for food, not making eye contact with other males, also if by some chance I get stalked by one of them I have to prove I was a good girl and didn't encourage the stalker. I can also bring in the mail but mustn't read it, my husband was upset when he learned my parents sent me to school and actually educated me. My God to think I'm not a slave. That's nice to know.

B.C. I know what your talking about and I'm sorry for you :laugh:

ARMS, now you have changed this into a who wins and who loses thing, and believe me, you didn't win anything in my eyes and I said I was done with this.

UH. Denoblians, God bless them, if they have figured out a way. We can't hardly get the 'one on one' marriage right yet. I think owning another person's sexuality might be the key to all this. If ones body is their own to do with it what they want then maybe a 3 spouse marriage might have a chance. It's when jealousy gets into it because one person thinks they own another, lock, stock and barrel, as in a possesion. I think Denoblians respect a person's personal freedom, they must. I remember one of Phlox's wives or ex-wives came aboard and tried to make nice-nice with, who was it Trip? Or Malcolm? The Doc encouraged it, didn't he? Maybe they have their genetic roots in rabbits? :laugh:

Your right TheUnicornHunter. Most likely I sleep through the episode only picking up the more wild things. It's ashame Trip didn't give it a try but then he'd get the reputation as to being a universial slut if he keeps bed hopping. He afterall got pregnant too by and alien.

Edited by BlueCrystal

Station Break

Okay, this was my thread so I'm waving the flag here - I think you have all proven a point that relationships are hard and communicating with another human being is difficult.

So for ST writers just to say Denoblians all have 3 spouses and sex is freely participated in outside of all marriages is a little short sighted to what relationships involve.

Does anyone have anything to say about whether Denoblian marriage could work?

Well, think about how much Phlox is liked as a character. If Phlox represents the average Denobulan, then Denobulans are remarkably easy-going and of friendly temperament, and very well educated. We know that one of Phlox's wives was an expert in whatever equipment she and Trip are working on, so Denobulan women are educated, not slaves. Phlox had no problem with her flirting with Trip, which shows that there is not a lot of jealousy ( or fidelity) in Denobulan society. Their nature causes them at least to be suited to how their society handles marriage.

Of course, observing that their marrianges are consistent with their easy-going nature says nothing about why things came to be.

Jeanway this is just childish, i normally get along with you, but i can't agree with anything you have said in this topic.

You seem to think marriage is slavery, to me its the joining of two people who love each other as equals.

Click for Spoiler:

Thats all i can say except i'm sick of feminists nagging their way into dominance

Is there any woman alive with the patience to put up with 3 husbands? Holy Crap! :flex: :)

I'm a guy and even I couldn't put up with 3 other guys for very long before I had to just slug one of them, not even to mention washing all of their dirty underwear. :)

ARMS, I am not a child, now cut it! Saying we have to argue our way into dominance means you guys already hold that position. Got anything else stupid you'd like to say? And Fen, why if a woman had 3 husbands does she automatically be the one doing the laundry, can you tell me that, you, you. hmmm :flex: I thought I knew you better than that :) You may take the couch tonight, AGAIN.

It was Trip and Phlox's wife Feazil.

WHO IS FEAZIL? :flex:

Hmmm. LOL. I grew up with four brothers and they did their own laundry. As a teenager I remember having to wear a dark blue bra because brother no. 1 decided to dye something blue and didn't bother to see if anyone else had stuff in the laundry tub soaking.

Jeanway don't keep turning him out of the bed or you may find that not only had he left your bed he's left you. :) I have Endometriosis and more times than not I can't be the lover my husband desires so I understand why he leaves and takes consignments that leaves me alone for months at a time. :flex:

Edited by BlueCrystal

Your right Jeanway. My apologies, I was out of line. You know what is best for yourself and your relationship. I'm just not use to seeing a woman so in charge. Afterall most of the women I tend to be around are *Stepford* wives like I am. :flex:

Edited by BlueCrystal

WHO IS FEAZIL? :flex:

Please read the line you quoted. Feazil is Phlox's wife....one of them.

I believe that them having four spouses is a common practice. It is a cultral thing. This is how they survive. This topic was explained in one of the episodes but I don't remember which one. :dude:

Hmm 4 wifes...no wonder he took a job on a starship..lol...but if its in there cultur why not ,but i know one thing its not the kind of thing i would want :dude:

I guess part of my complaint with ST is they just make random, sweeping statements about cultural possibilities and everyone buys into it without much thought. Since most aliens that Star Trek introduce tend to have the same characteristics as humans - experience emotions etc you can't assume they will be that much different in cultural settings. Remember Phlox has children he isn't on speaking terms with.

Now, they've never made it clear what the living arrangements are other than it is not possible for anyone to live with all of their spouses and their spouses' spouses. And as I've stated, the sexual noncommitance only demonstrates that their marriage arrangement is based on something other than sexual fidelity - that would live property as a major factor in marriage - if they have individual property ownership.

The question I am asking I guess is what purpose does marriage really serve in any society.

This was supposed to be a purely theoretical discussion but some have made it personal. So here is my response. I know my views will offend and I'm sorry but I truly don't understand why people remain in bad relationships. Maybe I had exceptional jerk detecting radar but I always said no pretty early in the game (like the second date)

As regards the slavery issue - if you get some benefit out of the relationship - say you choose to wait on the t*rd because he provides you with a nice house it isn't slavery - it's voluntarily taking a low paying job. Dump him and go - I have a low paying job too but it ends at 5:00.

As for other remarks - please don't tell us the personal details of your life and then turn around and smack anybody that responds. If it isn't our business don't make it our business.

I believe that them having four spouses is a common practice.  It is a cultral thing.  This is how they survive.  This topic was explained in one of the episodes but I don't remember which one. :dude:

Yes, I know that, and I asked who Feazil was mj because I didn't recall her name, sorry. It sounded to me very close to Fenriz. Feazil/Fenriz, see what I mean? :dude: I mean she was only on that one time, right?

Sorry, BC, I didn't think I smacked you. I know you and I are on the same side.

I think there is a certain level of 'JERK' in all of us UH. But I also think marriage is sometimes treated like a business arrangement. And there has to be a 'Boss" and an employee. Usually is ends up with wife being the employee because she has to, in most cases, stay home with the children. And the person who pays the bills in the boss. I think taking care of a house, is one job, catering to a man, is another job, bearing and having and raising children is another job. So now the woman has 3, non paying jobs, financial I mean, and plus she has a boss. That doesn't sound too appealing to me. I think just living together makes more sense, and birth control. If you let fate rule your life and take no control, it can get out of control.

Edited by Jeanway

WHO IS FEAZIL? :dude:

Please read the line you quoted. Feazil is Phlox's wife....one of them.

:dude: Yeah, really.

OK, I've had a couple and I'm just about ready to join the fray. Alas, my comments will undoubtedly come across as rather bland compared to the rest of the mud-slinging in this thread. Such as they are...

I agree in part with TUH's comment that ST likes to make sweeping statements. They do this to illustrate a point. Usually the point is that there are other cultural values, beliefs and mores that may differ from our own. We are supposed to keep an open mind to them. Unfortunately, they rarely get into enough detail and the point often comes across as rather self-serving and condescending to some people. In general, I'm quite open-minded and agree with most of the values expressed by the program, but I can certainly see how some people would think so.

Picard once said that humanity evolved beyond poverty, yet we never hear how this was achieved. How nice that it happened without effort! I'd appreciate it if they'd go into detail on some of this stuff sometimes and explore the thornier issues.

Sorry, lost my train of thought there. Somebody pick up on it if you like.

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

Fray? What fray? This is no fray. We are just discussing some things that are sliding on and off topic. It's kind of interesting, don't you think? Yes, I agree with you RSV, I wish also they'd go into more detail about how problems were solved. I particularly like Picard's observation that "things are impossible until they aren't." and " Make it so." Great words to live by. Now can we slide on back to Phlox? :dude:

Edited by Jeanway

Fray? What fray? This is no fray. We are just discussing some things that are sliding on and off topic. It's kind of interesting, don't you think? Yes, I agree with you RSV, I wish also they'd go into more detail about how problems were solved. I particulaly like Picard's observation that "things are impossible until they aren't." and " Make it so." Great words to live by. Now can we slide on back to Phlox? :dude:

Yes, another shot. Make it so. Glad there's a spell-checker.

Shot taken, corrected it. :dude:  :dude:

Oh, actually, I was talking about the effect of alcohol on my own spelling and relieved there was a spell-checker to make sure I don't make any horrendous errors. I'm drinking blue Pepsi and, err, something else at the moment. It looks very Trekky. I can't imagine that Romulan ale is very nice.

BLUE PEPSI? Where are you? I never heard of it. I'd love to try some, give me a sip :dude:

I've had it before, it's just like Pepsi except it tastes blue-ish. :dude:

Would that be like a blue/gray, like stainless steel flavor or blue/green, like algae? Or more like a Blueberry? :dude: :pepsi: :pepsi: :pepsi: :pepsi:

Edited by Jeanway

We're just swopping sexism here and that's one of few times i've ever been called stupid, it's refreshing.

All i'm saying is why can't you look at marriage the way it was ment and is for some. I think it's an american thing, your TV is full of shows with beating husbands etc We have that here too but clearly not nearly as much, especially these days.

Nearly every involved guy i know is a slave to his women, and i personally dont like it, i'm for equality, i treat girls how i'd expect to be treated.

different culture with different liberal views on marrige...