Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Can Phlox Have More/less Than Three Wives?

Do Denoblians have to have three wives? Do they have to get married at all? What if they want four wives/husbands? Is dating or sex with someone other than a spouse socially acceptable? (okay Stigma answered that) Can Denoblians just live together?

So what is the Denoblian purpose for marriage anyway?

Anyone care to speculate?

It may be a cultural thing and completely normal for the Denobulan society. It may of had to do increasing the gene pool. There are many reason why and it doesn't have to do with sex. Perhaps Phlox will enlighten us with the anwsers to this in the next season. I hope!

Edited by BlueCrystal

Stigma made it clear it wasn't about sex - but my question is what purpose does it serve?

Genetic diversity can be accomplished without marriage.

Again what about people that don't to get married at all? Is marriage required in Denoblia?

If they're like humans money and property would be big issues.

Suppose you have one rich and two pour husbands, the rich one is killed with one of his wives. You and the other wife each inherit one half of his property. Does this mean each of your remaining spouses are entitled to one third? Do they get around this by eliminating property laws altogether?

If there are no property laws and sex and marriage are unrelated - again what is the point of marriage?

Do you live primarily with one spouse? Does everybody have their own home and no one lives together. What if two husbands want a wife to have a child because neither of their other wives can. Does the order of acquiring spouses give one precedence over the other? Which parent gets primary custody with children or are children raised in communes?

If they're going to throw something out there - they need to have at least some logical structure for it...human relations are difficult. Some people can barely maintain a relationship with one spouse so I think they need to think this thing through more.

If I were ever get married I think two husbands might be nice. They can fight with each other and leave me the H*ll alone. :)

Think about family homes and children. Do they all co-hab in one big house or do each have a private home with the other mate. It could be a pain to figure out who's home and when or where.

If I were ever get married I think two husbands might be nice.  They can fight with each other and leave me the H*ll alone. :laugh:

You'd be lucky to get one husband with that attitude! I couldn't have more than one wife, i feel that a connection two people can share is unique and that trying to divide it would be futile.

:laugh:

If I were ever get married I think two husbands might be nice.  They can fight with each other and leave me the H*ll alone. :laugh:

You'd be lucky to get one husband with that attitude! I couldn't have more than one wife, i feel that a connection two people can share is unique and that trying to divide it would be futile.

And what makes you think I even want ONE, HUH? The way men treat women, I don't think so! I'll earn my own d*mn money. I don't like the idea of marriage anyway. Just live together. When two people are in love and get married they either fall out of love eventually or drive each other insane, or both, No Thank You.

I'm not stupid enough to fall into that trap.

:o

And what makes you think I even want ONE, HUH? The way men treat women, I don't think so! I'll earn my own d*mn money. I don't like the idea of marriage anyway. Just live together. When two people are in love and get married they either fall out of love eventually or drive each other insane, or both, No Thank You.

I'm not stupid enough to fall into that trap.

Your generalising, you also appear to be sexist. Did i say it's wrong to earn your own money? You've also got some pretty messed up idea's of marriage too, in some cases it's true, but there are SO MANY that aren't like that. You'd be stupid not to try it first, before bad mouthing it.

Yes it is legal slavey, BC.

I've witnessed 3 marriages in my life that were horrible. Cheating, lying, fighting, all had the same thread running through them. They all loved each other once. I'd be a total FOOL not to see what marriage is. You guys are all nice and sweet in the beginning then once the chase is over and you've got her, her life is over. Everything she does, eats , wears, everyplace she goes, friends she may have, where she lives, are all subject to approval by the husband. No thank you, I don't want to live in Stepford. Try it? Aren't you listening? :laugh:

Edited by Jeanway

But then in thinking about it, if I had to be enslaved by anyone I'm sure glad it's to the man I refer to as my husband. :laugh:

That's slightly better, but i don't understand why it is anything like slavery.

Yes it is, BC

I've witnessed 3 marriages in my life that were horrible. Cheating, lying, fighting, all had the same thread running through them. They loved each other once. I'd be a total FOOL not to see what marriage is. You guys are all nice and sweet in the beginning then once the chase is over and you've got her, her life is over. everything she does, eats , wears, everyplace she goes, friends she may have, where she lives, are all subject to approval by the husband. No thank you, I don't want to live in Stepford. Try it? Aren't you listening? :laugh:

I've witnessed many go wrong and many go so perfectly.

Not all men are the same, i believe you ladies would be offended if i said your all alike. I'm nice and sweet always, for me the chase never ends, it's a life time of discovery, growth and experience, which i would not miss for the world.

Any girl i have ever been close to has appreciated the freedom i give them, and i'm there when i'm needed. I treat people as i would expect to be treated. I know not all men are like this, but i'm not alone.

Slavery is forced unpaid labor.

Exactly, a wife is not expected by law to work for a man, therfore not slavery.

If you ask me, when women fought for equal rights they tried too hard and didnt just get equality theny gained supremacy, behind every great man is a women telling him what to do, and he will obey, because it's not hard for women to take advantage of our biological weakness. :laugh:

I like equality, but i hate feminists because there are no masculinists to fight back to even the playing field, you'll take over and we'll be slaves.

Edited by ARMS

HOLD IT, right there. " Appreciated the freedom you GIVE them"??????????? Their freedom is theirs not yours to dole out to them as you see fit. You take away ALL their freedom then hand it back to them in little pieces when it's convienent for you. This proves my point, EXACTLY! Your the one with the thinking problem. :laugh:

I've never been married but I do know people that are happily married

My sister-in-law told me one day that even if they weren't married they would have become friends because they just like each other so much. And I have to admit they have always been fun to visit. Statistically their marriage should not have lasted more than a few years (very, very young ) but they've been together over 40 years.

I think calling it slavery overlooks the many happy marriages where people really work together for common goals and interests. I think a lot of our young people aren't taught how to find a good spouse - but the happy couples I know share common interests. They doesn't mean they have everything in common but at least they share the things they both consider important.

I had a good friend once, who once made the comment he didn't understand why really great girls always wanted to date jerks...and I knew exactly what he was talking about. Women can be as shallow as men....I hope that doesn't shock any of you too much.

HOLD IT, right there. " Appreciated the freedom you GIVE them"??????????? Their freedom is theirs not yours to dole out to them as you see fit.  You take away ALL their freedom then hand it back to them in little pieces when it's convienent for you. This proves my point, EXACTLY! Your the one with the thinking problem. :laugh:

I could nag them into not doing things i don't approve of, women have been doing this to men for years, i don't. I just let them get on with it. This doesn't affect freedom, but nagging does influence choice. Like you said it's their freedom, how can i take it away?

I'm tired of this 20th century thinking, it's the 21st it should be equal terms, but no your kind won't give up, go on enslave me.

That entire statement is wrong. Of course she is expected to work for her husband, in anyway he wants her to. By 'Law"? What law? I never heard of such a law. You can't just make and untrue statement then refer to it as proof that what your saying is true. That's a called, 'feathering your own nest'.

I've never been married but I do know people that are happily married

My sister-in-law told me one day that even if they weren't married they would have become friends because they just like each other so much.  And I have to admit they have always been fun to visit.  Statistically their marriage should not have lasted more than a few years (very, very young ) but they've been together over 40 years.

I think calling it slavery overlooks the many happy marriages where people really work together for common goals and interests.  I think a lot of our young people aren't taught how to find a good spouse - but the happy couples I know share common interests.  They doesn't mean they have everything in common but at least they share the things they both consider important.

I had a good friend once, who once made the comment he didn't understand why really great girls always wanted to date jerks...and I knew exactly what he was talking about.  Women can be as shallow as men....I hope that doesn't shock any of you too much.

Thankyou for saying something TUH, i've been waiting for something like this.

It is true marriages can work!

It is also true that men are very much like women, we wan't the same, we just go about it differently.

BTW you'll notice i said me like women, this because the female, is much older than the male by evolution, we were created to add diversity to the species.

That entire statement is wrong. Of course she is expected to work for her husband, in anyway he wants her to. By 'Law"? What law? I never heard of such a law. You can't just make and untrue statement then refer to it as proof that what your saying is true. That's a called, 'feathering your own nest'.

Your nitpicking.

I didn't say there was a law against a women working for a man, i just said there is no law saying a women MUST work for a man.

Station Break

Okay, this was my thread so I'm waving the flag here - I think you have all proven a point that relationships are hard and communicating with another human being is difficult.

So for ST writers just to say Denoblians all have 3 spouses and sex is freely participated in outside of all marriages is a little short sighted to what relationships involve.

Does anyone have anything to say about whether Denoblian marriage could work?

You ARE slippery. I'm not playing word games with you. It's obvious you have nothing to back up what you say. You make totally incorrect statements and when I call you on it you start playing word games. I'm done. This discussion is not governed by any rules, your just making them up as you go along and I'm not playing, you keep moving the goalpost to make yourself look like your right, not fair at all. :laugh:

You ARE slippery. I'm not playing word games with you. It's obvious you have nothing to back up what you say. You make totally incorrect statements and when I call you on it you start playing word games. I'm done. This discussion is not governed by any rules, your just making them up as you go along and I'm not playing, you keep moving the goalpost to make yourself look like your right, not fair at all. :laugh:

If you can't win an argument, then don't bother trying.

The evidence i have is my grandparents are still happily married, my parents are happily married, and i'm happily engaged, that is my proof.

Now i believe TUH is putting an end to this debait.

Station Break

Okay, this was my thread so I'm waving the flag here - I think you have all proven a point that relationships are hard and communicating with another human being is difficult.

So for ST writers just to say Denoblians all have 3 spouses and sex is freely participated in outside of all marriages is a little short sighted to what relationships involve.

Does anyone have anything to say about whether Denoblian marriage could work?

If that's the traditional custom for Denobulans then it must work for them. As for humans I have no idea.