Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Warp 11, Red Alert

If you buy only one Star Trek-themed hard-rock CD this year, make it Warp 11's "Red Alert."

If nothing else, I have to admire the focus of the band. Most bands come together and decide what type of music they'll play. Covers or originals. Rock or country. Death-metal or polka. Warp 11 chose "Star Trek."

W11_1.jpg

And that's all. Warp 11 does Trek, and nothing else. Don't look for a "Star Wars" joke, because it ain't there.

Warp 11's aim is very concise, but your lack of "Trek" knowledge doesn't exclude you. A friend of mine who has seen the Trek movies, and maybe an episode or two of the original series, listened to the CD. He didn't understand 80 percent of the references, but totally dug it. But then, I'm the same way about Bruce Springsteen.

W11_2.jpg

Unlike many novelty bands, where the music is incidental to the comedy, Warp 11 are a fully-functional rock group that just happens to sing about "Star Trek." Their sound is metallic and straight-up hard rock-ish.

I'm a fan to a freakish extent of novelty music, or more accurately, as the Dr. Demento radio show would put it, "funny" music. "Star Trek" is a subgenre unto itself. The best known may be "Star Trekkin'" by The Firm, and the funniest is a sketch by Bobby "Boris" Pickett, "Star Drek." ("I tried stuffin' a weiner in the warp drive, cap'n, but it's no use!") Also recommended: Dana Gould's bit on the writer of the "Amok Time" fight music.

Several Warp 11 songs can proudly stand alongside them, like "Everything I Do (I Do With William Shatner)". Surprisingly, it's not a Bryan Adams parody. It rhymes "Shatner" with "put on our cowboy hat-ners."

I would include a smattering of song lyrics, but divorced from the songs, you're not going to really get the full effect:

W11_3.jpg

OK, just a couple:

"I'm like Scotty when I party, 'cause I need more time to get with all the honeys, at least 7 of 9." ("Yeah Brother.")

"Are you a wizard? Are you a god? Are you just here to piss off Picard?" ("Q")

"Start at my head, and move to my feet. You can be the admiral, baby, and I'll be your fleet." ("Suds Me Up Sulu.")

I still cannot shake the mental image from "Suds Me Up Sulu." Thanks, Warp 11.

The band's knowledge of "Trek" data (and Data) is deep enough that the references and jokes don't fizzle after the usual subjects, "Kirk likes girls," or "Spock is smart." Listen for references to Gowron, Sto-Vo-Kor, and cordrazine, among others.

The CD cover itself is proof that the band knows its audience: It features an extreme close-up of a red-suited yeoman's miniskirt top, with a cleavage shot of two very popular pieces of the female anatomy. (Breasts.) The cover by itself should generate sales, but if that's your only reason for buying, I require your shame. Dude, you know you get the "Trek" references.

W11_6.jpg

The best song on the CD is "Old Country Doctor (The Ballad of Bones)." This song is a very funny tribute to DeForrest Kelley, and an exact musical depiction of McCoy. By all rights it deserves to be the band's "Free Bird." It should be demanded by the crowd at every Warp 11 concert, with lighters aloft.

This CD should be on your shelf, right now, if you consider yourself a "Trek" fan. (Even if you take it a tad too seriously, and have no room on your shelf unless you move some novels.)

It's obvious that Warp 11 loves "Trek," and they've transferred that into lyrics and music that are great fun. Let your geek flag fly; "Red Alert" is required listening.

W11_4.jpg

RevolutionSF humor editor Joe Crowe has been looking for a word to rhyme with "Shatner" for years.

RevolutionSF

I'm glad someone else has seen the greatness of Warp 11. However, I thought "Red Alert" was a huge let down. "Suck My Spock" was much funnier.

Now that Trekkies 2 is about to be released people will be introduced to all the major Trek fan bands that have been around for years. My personal favorite is No Kill I, they were the original Trek Punk. Check out their website at nokilli.com

interesting, I had never heard of them...

I'll look into it.

On their site they have a section that you can download 2 videos of theirs..Here's the link in case anybody is interested..I have the 'Red Alert' CD ordered from Amazon..I'm anxious to get it..I probably should have gotten their first CD too..Oh well..Prehaps that's next... :theking:

Warp 11 Video

"FLATTEN HER"? :clap:  :theking:

Funny lyrics huh ? I don't expect it was easy to find something that rhymed with Shatner... :clap:

Are they local As in a certain part of the country?

Listned to there song was great.

Are they local As in a certain part of the country?

Listned to there song was great.

I believe they're from Sacramento, California..Certainly a long way from me..

Is their CD available through CD Lagoon or CD Universe Tig?

Not sure about that. I'm not familar with those 2 services..If you go to their website it lists a couple of stores/websites where you can buy their music..

On their site they have a section that you can download 2 videos of theirs..Here's the link in case anybody is interested..I have the 'Red Alert' CD ordered from Amazon..I'm anxious to get it..I probably should have gotten their first CD too..Oh well..Prehaps that's next... :clap:

Warp 11 Video

Thanks for the link ST. You have to get their first album!

Order it off the "Warp 11" site- they are alot quicker than Amazon.

My Red Alert CD arrived in the mail today. I've listened to it a couple of times now..And it rocks !! Great music to work out to which is what I just got finished doing..There is only 1 song that I don't care for..The rest of it is great..I gotta get their first CD..I'll have to get it thru Amazon though..I didn't see a way to buy it thru the Warp 11 site..

Favorite songs so far..

Red Alert

Warp 11

Everything I do(I do with William Shatner)

Replicate My Love

7 of Mine

Rand

Old Country Doctor

I've also heard that their 3rd CD is going to be released at the end of this summer..Awesome :flex: