Sign in to follow this  
WEAREBORG4102

Voyage Home Scene With Emotional Spock?

Remember when they see the whales and they play in the water? You can see Spock laughing. I cannot explain it.

Remember when they see the whales and they play in the water? You can see Spock laughing. I cannot explain it.

I don't recall seeing that..I've watched that movie many times and I don't recall seeing that..I think you're mistaken but I'll have to watch it again before I say for sure..I mean..How could I miss that ?

You can see him laughing in the background. I'm sure of it.

Yes, you can see him laughing, I notice that every time. I always just figured Leonard Nimoy was laughing and it slipped into the movie. You do have to really look to see it.

Also if anybody remembers Amok Time

Spock was so happy that Kirk was alive he SMILED as he said JIM

I think its because he is half human,so maybe there is where the slip lies..Also Vulcans Voluntarily Supress thier emotions. So maybe Spock did not want to supress them at the time

And in the action, fueled several years of truly awful slash.

Seriously, though, I think he was just plain happy. Hey, a smile from Spock is the equivalent of a human running up to someone and hugging them and maybe even crying...

Oh yes, I've noticed that everytime I've watched it. I always thought that he let his character slip a little and it was actually Leonard Nimoy instead of Spock playing around with the rest of the actors in the water. I think they were just having a good time messing around. It happens right before Kirk throws him in the water and he's laughing at the others who are playing around in it.

I think it only fair to point out here that Spock does indeed laugh, smile, sing and show emotions from time to time. If you watch the entire TOS series you will see evidence of this. In this movie he has gone through death and resurrection and if you recall at the top of the film he was quite out of touch with his emotions. He didn't comprehend the computer's prompting,"How do you feel?" Spock's mother does explain that since he is her son he has emotions and that they will surface. Spock acknowledges that since she deems them of importance . . . and then goes on to spend the entire movie seeking them out, noting that Kirk seems to be a man of deep feelings. He is constantly analyzing them. At the end, he has found his own feelings again and begins the journey of rediscovering and reinventing the one called Spock. So, it is not a mistake that you see him laughing and playing at the end of this wonderful movie. Spock has found himself. In many ways, this was the "search for Spock" over the other film with that title, in my opinion.

FWI, the official biography of the Spock character, found at StarTrek.com notes that he has come to terms with his emotions and if you watch, in the later movies he seems more comfortable in his own skin. He truly became the best of both worlds.

T'Bree

I AGREE WITH T'BREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

T'Bree's got it right on.

I also wanted to add that in Leonard Nimoy's book I Am Spock Nimoy points out the whole journey Spock takes throughout the movies. In the first movie, he's tried to reject all emotion and everything that makes him Human by undergoing the rigors of Kolinahr. In the second movie he dies for his friends and is brought back in the third. In the fourth movie he struggles to refind himself and in the end after hearing his mother's and Kirk's mini-lectures -- "Feelings, Spock, as my son you'll have them" and "You're half-Human, Spock, can't you care?" (or something along those lines) -- he realizes that he is indeed half-Human and decides to finally come to terms with that side of himself. So his laughing at the end of that movie is not a mistake. It's just Spock being Human for once. The journey does continue, but I'll just pretend a majority of Star Trek V never happened, and I've never seen Star Trek VI (I really need to get around to that!).

But yeah, Nimoy says that Spock comes to terms with his emotions. He went from trying to purge all emotion in the first movie, to finally accepting that they're a part of him by the sixth. Sure, he still doesn't show them all too often, but like T'Bree said. He seems more comfortable in his own skin.