Sign in to follow this  
WEAREBORG4102

Why Would People Want To Leave This Site?

Diversity?

MJ I think you need to read some of the silly posts on kronos!

Diversity?

I have been here a long time and you have missed a lot of arguments in Risa, the precursor to Kronos. You have missed arguments on affirmative action, for instance.

You are not the only one here who is not a libertarian or a conservative. I consider myself moderate, since my Chrisitian perspective causes me to be conservative on some social issues.

But I am a life-long Democrat, so I have been disagreeing with Ed and MasterQ for a long time. It is just that, because I follow the restricitons and philosophy of this board, I have not developed an attitude where I show disrespect because we deeply disagree. To contrast this to what you do, which has repeatedly gotten you into trouble, you called the posts in Kronos "silly," which is disparaging. Why not just say there are some really extreme views expressed there? You think that sometimes the moderators are overly sensative. But it just takes a few pejorative remarks to cause a heated discussion to descend into a flurry of insults.

Members of this board differ vastly. They differ in age, nationality, gender, professional or work life, political perspective, family status, race...you name it! It may be that more of the political conservatives frequent Kronos, but there are a lot of people on this board who are here for Star Trek, and they do not bother to go to Kronos.

Indcidently diversity characterizes the moderators of this board. They differ in age (a thirty year age span), nationality, gender, professional or work life, education, political perspective, family status...just like the board. They also differ vastly in personality and tempermant.

But they do not differ in the ability to behave maturely, and respond with restraint to the situations that occur at stf.net. They know how to work cooperatively with one another, and to respect ownership, experience, and rank. These charactersitics are what caused them to be asked to be moderators....not identical beliefs with VBG, or political conservatism.

I have no comment to the above,.If i do..i will be queued again

I'm sure mj isn't trying to query you or push you into a corner, she is just trying to explain things to you and trying to answer you're reply, much better then I could as well.

Okay, I'm not going to query you then, I'll just get on with my post.

I do tend to drop out from this site for weeks or even monthes at a time and then come back with a burst of posts then fade... Its partly the reason why I average one post a day yet have been at this site for over thirteen monthes. I don't really know why, I just don't feel as attached to this site as I used to. I think this is partly because the site seems a bit lifeless, compared to what it used to be. When I first joined, my first post was in a debate on the merits of Wesly Chrusher on TNG. And this was a proper debate, not a nonsenical post or a flame war. There just don't seem to be any real debates other then in Kronos right now, and whenever I go in there there are always posts locked. Not that I am blaming the Mods in any way, shape or form. Its just the way things are.

I don't know, I just look at the topic dates in, say the General Star Trek Forum, and I realise that there are three new threads in four days... It just doesn't seem as lively as before.

Meh, maybe I'm just being melodramatic. Anyway, I still like coming on this forum but just not as much as I used to.

Edited by NordicBearskin

I still can't comment besides..i ahev somthing to say and its not gonna be pretty

I couldn't get into this site for a couple of days. My link just stopped working - I wouldn't be here if a member on another site hadn't told me she was able to get in here. Anyway I have visited some other sites over the last couple of days.

There is a much greater variety in topics on other sites. It is also true that some of the behavior is very different than it is here. A lot of the "f" word and outright flames at startrek.com - but also some interesting topics.

I remember some of the ugly threads in Risa but I also realize that some relevant social issues are not being discussed here because of the revamping. I realize that part of that is because a couple of members made very insulting remarks rather than discuss the topic objectively.

All that long ramble essentially means is that people go where they can find the sort of posts that appeal to them and that's not going to be the same to everyone

I find the people here at this board are much better than the ones at startrek.com...

Too much inaction by the mods...

I couldn't get into this site for a couple of days.  My link just stopped working - I wouldn't be here if a member on another site hadn't told me she was able to get in here. 

Apparently stf.net was moved to a new server, which temporarily made the site inaccessible.

Diversity?

I have been here a long time and you have missed a lot of arguments in Risa, the precursor to Kronos. You have missed arguments on affirmative action, for instance.

You are not the only one here who is not a libertarian or a conservative. I consider myself moderate, since my Chrisitian perspective causes me to be conservative on some social issues.

But I am a life-long Democrat, so I have been disagreeing with Ed and MasterQ for a long time. It is just that, because I follow the restricitons and philosophy of this board, I have not developed an attitude where I show disrespect because we deeply disagree. To contrast this to what you do, which has repeatedly gotten you into trouble, you called the posts in Kronos "silly," which is disparaging. Why not just say there are some really extreme views expressed there? You think that sometimes the moderators are overly sensative. But it just takes a few pejorative remarks to cause a heated discussion to descend into a flurry of insults.

Members of this board differ vastly. They differ in age, nationality, gender, professional or work life, political perspective, family status, race...you name it! It may be that more of the political conservatives frequent Kronos, but there are a lot of people on this board who are here for Star Trek, and they do not bother to go to Kronos.

As for silly... well, there are silly posts. Search "Kumbaya" within that forum for a very good example.

Debates don't have to turn into flame wars. If someone insults you, post and say you refuse to get into a flame war, and then say whatever you need to say about the opinion. Not the opinion of you--the opinion on the idea. Common sense and maturity are the first things that're going to make someone listen to you, I've found.

And if you've got those and can say what's on your mind in a way that people respect... and back that up...

Well, then, it really doesn't matter how old you are, who you are, or what you are. That's why I love the Internet.

I still can't comment besides..i ahev somthing to say and its not gonna be pretty

If it is just going to be a series of insults and accusations, keep it to yourself.

If you can express an opposing opinion in a responsible way, without attacking people, then state your case.

Before I was asked to be a moderator, while still a member of ship's crew, I had many arguments and strong disagreements, some with moderators. For example, I argued with ddillard (and others) about affirmative action, with VBG and others about women's history month and black history month, with bysty about young people and studying, with AE several times in Risa. I PM'd TM and others about some posts. I was asked to rewrite a post by a mod. (I don't know if they even remember some of these things, but I do.)

Sometimes I was involved in threads that were shut down.

What I learned in my dealing with the moderators was that sometimes I was right, and somethimes they were right. When I was right, I found that stating facts and making a clear case brought about a retraction. What I learned about myself when the moderators were right, was that (in the past) I had a bit of a tendency to contribute to a thread getting way off-topic and mired in heated debate of the off-topic topic. I discovered this by looking at the closed thread, why the mods said the thread was closed, and my own posts, and deciding whether or not I had contributed to the problem. It helped me modify my behavior on this site, but it did not silence me from expressing my differing perspective.

My experience with the moderators on this site caused me to stay, not leave this site.

I did not find them to be perfect, errorless people. I found them to be reasonable and fair-minded, but definitely representing a particular perspective as to what behavior should be allowed here. The only way I reached this perspective is that I also evaluated my own behavior from time to time...I did a self-assessment. I did not go to another site and find people who would concur with me that I had been wronged, justifying only my own perspective.

Ei Chimeny, this thread is getting ugly. *Jumps overboard*

What was ugly?

I have no problem with you jumping overboard...you are a Navy man...you can swim! :eekout:

As for silly... well, there are silly posts. Search "Kumbaya" within that forum for a very good example.

Debates don't have to turn into flame wars. If someone insults you, post and say you refuse to get into a flame war, and then say whatever you need to say about the opinion. Not the opinion of you--the opinion on the idea. Common sense and maturity are the first things that're going to make someone listen to you, I've found.

Tina was referring to something very specific, not to threads like Kumbaya. AE allowed a few silly threads in Kronos because at the time the tension was so high in there, he decided to leave that thread ( and a couple of others) to lighten things up, rather than move it to a more "appropriate" forum. Tina was not talking about that in her remark about silliness, but about ongoing situations.

I was trying to share my experiences as a way of responding to things, giving an alternative approach.

When was Risa was completely shut down due to the fights and insults, it was clear that the moderators were going to have to keep close watch on personal insults, because the hostility even spread outside of Risa (now Kronos). That may come across as nitpicking to some.

I think some people participate less, or have left, because unlike in the old days, where you could argue in Risa and still have a good star trek discussion with that same person in Star Trek:TNG, people were carrying anger into other forums. Many new people were used to freely flaming each other on other sites. People have been learning to treat each other civilly as they move between Kronos and the rest of the board, but it did require editing out personal insults, and giving warnings to accomplish this.

I had to leave for a little over a month during Finals this year, and will probably have to take that month off for the next few years as well. Other than that, I haven't had any desire to leave. :eekout:

The only good reasons (IMO) someone might wanna leave this site are:

1. They can't handle following rules which are in place for the safety and protection of all members.

2. (As a result of reason #1) they leave looking for a site where flaming and warfare is allowed. (try st.com)

A vast majority of our members like it here BECAUSE of our rules designed for their safety and fun online. :eekout:

Ive had my doubts last week whether i should leave or not but that was bcuz I was decieved by someone and i got very upset and depressed about it,but now I know the truth and wouldnt wanna leave this site for a million :eekout:

I left for awhile because of my schedule; now I'm back. I'll be leaving again for awhile in a few weeks, also because of my schedule.

As for startrek.com... erk. I'm only there occasionally (when I'm looking for someone to get into a flame war with, which is not often.) I don't like it at all.

As for Commodore Harry Kim... no idea. But what about emojams, and a few others? Also no idea. People vanish from bboards all the time.

I was at camp... I'm back now...

I feel that if I decide to leave it's because of personal insults. They hurt. They hurt anybody, not just me. But some people throw insults when they are upset at whoever is handiest.

This venue of discussion, I mean the computer, allows us to retaliate, believing there is no consequence. Because we can't see the person's face when they read it.

But there IS consequence. I know everyone I've talked to today either on the phone or in Im, PM or Chat, has been affected by all this that is going on in here right now. WE are like a big family in here. I consider many of you my friends. I share laughter and tears with many of you as well as anger and frustration. We all run the gambit of emotions in here. Some people are very firm in their beliefs others are easily swayed. Some people can't see past their own nose, others are eager to hear others opinions. Some people are fair and some aren't. So when we all have to follow the same set of rules there is going to be conflict. This conflict is hurting us all. Sadly, I don't know how we can avoid it, I wish I did.

Edited by Jeanway

Why take anything personal

most people you meet here you will never meet in person so why let it hurt you its one persons oppion no one can be loved by all

Edited by tokar

Why take anything personal 

most people you meet here you will never meet in person so why let it hurt you  its one persons oppion no one can be loved by all

I know that Tokar, I just said that very thing to someone not an hour ago. It wasn't in here, it was in my real life. This is my " VIRTUAL" LIFE. JUST AS IMPORTANT TO ME THOUGH. Because behind all the words I read on this screen there is a person somewhere talking right to me, and I to him/her. Just like, no not JUST like, but kind of like reading a book. Understand?

Okay I'm throwing my two cents worth in. I've not been able to be on line much in the last several weeks due to RL...When I can get on, I check my mail and then get off because of time, which I don't have any of lately, lol. It's not that I don't want to come here, it's I just can't make it. I wish I could spend more time in here, but RL is RL and I can't change that. I sometimes check the board as a guest just to see what is being discussed and if I want to respond then I log in and respond, but most of the time it's the email, which is mostly spam lately anyway, even with the 'spam-killers' that they have, and then back to RL, which is what I'm about to do now. :eekout: I love this board and everyone here, but my family comes first. :laugh:

Katy

:blink:

If it is just going to be a series of insults and accusations, keep it to yourself

Nope just VERY big opinions

. They can't handle following rules which are in place for the safety and protection of all members.

2. (As a result of reason #1) they leave looking for a site where flaming and warfare is allowed. (try st.com)

A vast majority of our members like it here BECAUSE of our rules designed for their safety and fun online

I don't think thats fair to say that. I know a couple of people that left to open thier own sites. I am not here that often because i Moderate on other sites and i have weird hours because of my job

As for the rules...thats a topic i ain't touching!

1. They can't handle following rules which are in place for the safety and protection of all members.

I don't think thats fair to say that. I know a couple of people that left to open thier own sites.

I could give you that one 'cept for one minor detail; they (all) didn't (yet) completely leave now did they?

A good place for flaming is ST:Academy, Me and Ace are members, i'm not too fond of the place, the flaming prevents discussion.

Yeah,the did

Anyway i don't flame people (that often). And i am already a member of some really nice trek sites

I have to admit I am not as hopelessly addicted to this site as I once was.

I have found that sometimes the modding can be overly excessive in force. That isn't to say I disrespect the mods just that I sometimes disagree with their decisions.

I mod at 2 sites, I have a good idea where to draw the line and yes some people go over it. BUT trying to excessively sanatise things just leads to a growth in a subversive counter culture, which in turn becomes more disruptive than the original infraction.

I think sometimes you have to walk away from what ever is going on and just say whatever as a member. As a mod you have to own up that you aren't from that persons background, they annoy you whatever it is and just let it go.

sometimes a person is argumentative purely because they don't have the life skills to adequately articulate their feelings (irrespective of their education level) Perhaps it is the moderators job to help these people more than simply repromanding them and seeking to ban them.

I don't think thats fair to say that. I know a couple of people that left to open thier own sites.

I could give you that one 'cept for one minor detail; they (all) didn't (yet) completely leave now did they?

erm I could let that point slide, but I do know of one member who doesn't frequent this board, purely for the reason of setting up and perfecting his board.