Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

What's Up With Spike Tv?

I HAVE NO IDEA

And its getting on my nerves

Its on during the day at 1pm though

But its still not enough!

I've tried to watch Spike TV on several occasions but I find their constant advertising of Spike TV during the episodes too distracting and rather annoying. Plus I also find their concept of "The first network for men" to be rather silly.

I watch spike tv. For trek but must agree with VBG first station for men is plain silly

It's definitely annoying, I'll say that. <_<

I don't believe it's gone permanently. It'll probably come back after the NBA finals in a while (week to a month; I dunno).

Its annoying i must admit

But still..give us TREK

Yeah it's goot that they are airing it. BUt I just watch my DVD's so I don't have to put up with their annoying advertising. Besides, they put Star Trek on because it's a "Guy show" when clearly Star Trek has a large female viewership also.

I am so ticked off! I missed the entire week (when I've been trying to tape all the eps) b/c I didn't know it was on at 1:00 pm. WHY DIDN'T SPIKE SAY ANYTHING??

They sure run enough other promos. I didn't learn about the switch till tonight. I do agree, tho, that DS9 probably will return to its original slot; however, what kind of way is that to run a network. If that's a 'Network for Men' you can keep it.

If anyone has a spare thousand dollars lying around, I will buy all seven DS9 seasons, and we can have a DS9 party at my house! Big screen TV and popcorn included. There are no ads and we are definitely female friendly! (Duh, I am a girl). no silly time changes, and we have the joy of the pause button! Dun dun dun.

In all seriousness though, this is really annoying. Spike has changed the Trek schedule around so much this year. Perhaps if we the Trekkies sent out a bunch of e-mails begging for more stability and more Trek...

In all seriousness though, this is really annoying. Spike has changed the Trek schedule around so much this year. Perhaps if we the Trekkies sent out a bunch of e-mails begging for more stability and more Trek...

Their website does have a link to send feedback. I already sent them one concerning Trek at 7 and 8. So I say send them letters!

If they put it on there they must consider them important.

I've tried to watch Spike TV on several occasions but I find their constant advertising of Spike TV during the episodes too distracting and rather annoying. Plus I also find their concept of "The first network for men" to be rather silly.

That's my chief complaint about Spike tv. They turn TNN into one of the most moronic channels on tv and call

it the first network for mwn. What an insult!

I do watch Trek on Spike, because I am unable to afford the season sets, but I have to agree that the constant advertising in the bottom of the screen is extremely annoying.

Someone from another site also suggested to use the feedback form on their website. But he cautioned to remember to uncheck the little box at the bottom before you submit it or your e-mailbox will be swamped with spam!

BTW, it looks as if Spike is going to have a marathon of eight episodes on Friday the 18th. Unfortunately, someone said they are once again going back to Season 1. :(

yes we should swamp spike/tnn/nash(thats what its called in my tv guide) with letters so they fix ds9's time slot. i only recently figured out its on at 1:00 and it might become a nuisance. im soo mad. :dude:

they just care about ratings...

Well, it's a TV channel, what are they supposed to care about?

They want to make money, can't blaim them for that..

I don't get Spike TV here in Sweden, but I can understand why you guys are mad.

They will probably move DS9 back to it's original timeslot later on.

Spike TV is getting to the point were it is as bad as Fox, SciFi channel or worse. It removes perfectly good programming and replaces it with idiotic shows. :dude:

I know, I would think of spike as totally illogical if it didn't have star trek on. If I owned it, I'd change it to the Star Trek Channel. Hmmm, we could alternate series every hour. After the paid programming from 12:00 AM-8:00 PM we have TOS on at 8:00 AM, then TNG, then DS9, then TAS, then VOY, then ENT. On Friday nights we can have star trek movie night. Also, sometime in the say we can have Trek News. Hmmmm, sounds Loigcal

Edited by TSonofvulcan

Here we go, bashing poor Spike tv again. I really understand everyone's complaints but in today's highly competitive entertainment industry field, that is just the nature of the beast. Even though i'm involved professionaly with the broadcast industry, I too, hate those annoying pop up promos that Spike uses to promote their network, but I do understand why they are being used and right now, in case you haven't noticed it, these type of pop up promos are starting to be used at other networks and even some over the air traditional networks have begun experimenting with them, though not as lavish as what Spike is doing. It's advertising, the heart of the engine that runs all broadcasts, whether it be over the air or cable and satellite. It does ruin taped episodes when attempting to archive a series and it is really annoying to see them every five minutes or so. A top or bottom of the hour promo would be fine but not 5 to 6 times every half hour. If I didn't enjoy Trek so much I probably wouldn't turn to Spike since I rarely see anything on that network that really warrants my attention. But what they are doing is attempting to raise awareness, not so much with the regular viewers of the network, and I don't consider Trek fans getting their daily fix really much of a regular viewer, but with those viewers who do alot of channel surfing, i.e. young males. And even though I agree it's a little silly for Spike to call itself the "First Network for Men", (I always thought ESPN claimed that title years ago), is it any sillier then Lifetime calling itself television for women? And what about the Oxygen channel? What is it that they promote themselves as? I can't seem to remember at the moment but I believe it's squarely aimed at the female audience. What this all come down to is in today's multiple choice world of entertainment, being a little annoying can be a public relations boom and yes it will turn off some viewers, maybe even to the point of avoiding the network altogether, like Va Beach Guy, but it may also bring an awareness to people not familiar with the network who happen to chance upon it during a typical male channel surf night. This is an acceptable risk to the suits that run this particular network. You can complain about whatever you want to them but in their minds, by making you do that, they have proven their point that people are beginning to know them even if it's just the name and you have no idea what else they broadcast. In time the network will change, maybe even be bought again and morphed into something else, but for the time being they are going to continue to do what they are doing. Why? According to the trade publications that I read, the advertisers are liking what they are seeing out of that network. They do attract males 18 to 49, the Prime demographic, and even though it's small in relation to what other networks attract, it's still what the advertisers want. So from the accounting stand point, Spike is doing very well even though they've pretty much pissed off most ST fans with their promos and schedules. But let's face it, almost all of what is being broadcast these days are pretty bad. With FOX leading the way with pandering to the lowest common demoninator most tv shows these days have very little redeeming value and are produced and promoted to make the fastest advertising dollar they can. There is no longer a patience out there among the suits that is willing to wait to build an audience and ratings. That takes time and all networks want to have their cake and eat it too instead of building a loyal following with intelligent, well written and produced entertainment. We can all thank Rupert Murdoch for that. Unfortunately for us Trek fans, Spike owns the network broadcast rights to all of the Trek shows and I believe they have the rights to them for the next ten years. What does this all mean? Buy the dvd's