Sign in to follow this  
shadowfigment

The Day After Tomorrow

What Did You Think Of "The Day After Tomorrow"?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What Did You Think Of "The Day After Tomorrow"?

• I Loved The Movie
    • I Hated The Movie
    • I Have Neutral Feelings About The Movie
    • I Will Not Go And See This Movie
    • I Will Not Waste Money And Will Wait For The DVD or VHS
    • I Have No Opinion, I Am A Meat Popscicle...

I just got back from watching "The Day After Tomorrow." I thought it a pretty interesting film. Has anyone else seen the film? If so, what were your thoughts on the movie?

<_<

Guest Mike_Hines01

I haven't seen this film yet, but I'm hoping to. From the trailers and previews it looks like an interesting movie and will cast a vote as soon as I've watched it.

That is movie I will later in the day. Much later!

I thought it was ok, it seemed pretty implausable, but it was still good, had some very touching moments. I almost cried.

I really want to see it...

I've seen The Core, which I liked...

Major climate changes... hehe :hug: <_<

Waters shall rise like 30 feet if the ice caps melt....

By-the-way, is the choice: I Have No Opinion, I Am a Meat Popsicle, a reference to the movie: The Fifth Element?

If it is, it rocks :hug: <_< lastresort.jpg42.gif

I saw it last night and I'm pretty neutral about it. The effects were great, but I didn't get interested in the storyline til the second half. The acting wasn't always great, and like QSMB said, the entire plot and developments were so freakishly implausible. Plus, it was a little propaganda-like. It pretty much beat you over the head with the 'stop-polluting' argument. I don't think the writers knew much about subtlety <_< .

It was decent, and I'm glad I saw it. I just wont be buying or renting it when it comes out.

I don't want to see it as I heard it has no plot line really and the whole thing is really cheesey....

I also know by watching the commercials that this cannot happen....

The Ice Age doesn't occur every 10,000 years....

It happens every 100,000 years or so....

Look at the any geologic timeline and it never say every 11,000 years...

Anyways an Ice Age is unlikely as we are still warming up from the last one....

Also the thing is that an ice age would not cause tornadoes...

If you live in New York state, you would know where the fingerlakes are.... Those were carved by continental glaciations which flatten the terrain. there would be no rise in sea level like in the movie, there would be a 500 foot drop in sea level....

People who direct movies have no common sense....

Edited by WEAREBORG4102

WAB, has there ever been a disaster movie that was realistic?

Reviews do suggest the science is pretty bad but I'll probably watch it when it comes out on video. It can't be any worse than Armageddon.

I don't believe we will ever have an ice age nor do I believe it will ever happen. I also didn't buy the "global super-storms". However, it was a fun work of fiction, so I enjoyed it from that aspect. The only part that bugged me was them beating me over the head with the "stop polluting NOW, or we'll have global warming any day now!" propaganda. :blink:

Have not seen it yet Will withhold my vote and comments till I do.

Mmm, meat popsicles! :blink:

I didn't see the movie yet but the people who are saying we will have a global warming are the very same people who predicted global cooling 10 years ago. Apocolyptic visions such as these are simply based on bad science.

Mmm, meat popsicles! :laugh:

I didn't see the movie yet but the people who are saying we will have a global warming are the very same people who predicted global cooling 10 years ago.  Apocolyptic visions such as these are simply based on bad science.

Thank you Van Roy, I hate when people come to such conclusions with so very little evidence. We have had warming and cooling occur so often in history, even while men were walking the Earth. This was before automobiles and so on...

I love this movie, the effects are great and Jake and Dennis are

perfect for their roles, the movie delivers exactly what it says it's

going to......pure entertainment :angry:

I don't care about the possibilities of whether it could happen or not,

that's a discussion for a documentary and it will ruin the movie for

you if you go in that frame of mind....it's fiction for now!

I was really excited about going to see this movie. Mostly because I was working on an Independent Study Project on the Kyoto Protocol. It just seemed too well timed.

My opinion on the movie is that it had some amazing effects and I liked the plot. I felt the acting was weak and the science behind the movie is a bit of a stretch, in that it depicts something as bad as possible as fast as possible.

My opinion on global warming is very much pro-Kyoto Protocol. I just think the consequences are too grave to ignore and doing nothing could be worse than enforcing the Kyoto Protocol. While there is some debate as to whether or not global warming is a natural process or not, I think we're better off safe than sorry. Even if it is natural, I don't think that gives us a free pass to continue pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

As a side note, some events have already occurred that are similar to those in The Day After Tomorrow. Such as the touching down of 75 tornadoes in one day in the U.S., a hail storm killing 25 in China, and a piece of the Larsen B ice shelf larger than Rhode Island breaking off (the piece in the film was roughly the size of Rhode Island). I admit the movie is not entirely plausable (though, Roland Emmerich did read a book entitled "The Coming Global Superstorm" that provided inspiration for the movie).

For all of you who hated and/or loved the movie... Check out "The Coming Global Superstorm". This is the book that the movie is based on.

Personally I went back to watch the movie again. While the outcomes of the movie seem a bit extreme, saying that the outcomes themselves are impossible would be silly. Anything is possible, including the North Atlantic Current taking a more southerly route due to the desalination of the ocean.

Check out the book, I think that at least some of you will find it interesting

Edited by shadowfigment

I have seen the movie and found it to be very interesting. Weather is very much a hubby of mine and also part of my job. Wither what happen in the movie can or can't happen I really don't know. I don't believe that the climate can change that fast in short period, but there are evidence that it did in some parts of the world. The only thing that I know is the weather is getting worse not better. If the ice cap melts we might face an ice age.

It was ok, the CGI was great but I probably won't see it again. Well not until its available at the video store.

OK, I seen it. It is good entertainment but still not scientifically accurate. My viewpoint on this supposedly fragile planet we live on has not changed.

Bad (meaning inaccurate) environmental policy can do just as much damage as good policy ignored.

Stardate:214236.7

Im one of those people that doesnt care if the movie is real or accurate.I liked it myself and thought the effects were awsome.

I saw the movie, I liked it.

The science is of course a stretch, as regards to global warming, I am skeptical. Earth goes through natural periods of warming and cooling, and I look upon the environmental lobby with a degree of suspicion. I think that their policies and beliefs have more to do with more politically left ideologies rather than a more objective view of the environment , although I do belief that a complete lack of environmental concerns is not advisable.

It was a decent movie however. The politics sometimes annoyed me, like Emmerich's preaching over "Americans entering Mexico" and the US President being humbled by "The Third World". The director should have remembered that the emigration of the world's people from the North to the South had more to do with the fact that the temperature was higher in the Southern Hemisphere more than anything else. That's why they moved to the South at the end, not because they were "grateful" to the poor countries of the world.

What was he saying, that we should value the Third World countries of the world even if they are dictatorships, poorly governed, unable to run their economies, and are about 100 years behind the West, simply because we can use them if the climate changes as a kind of "environmental lifeboat"??? Third World countries also pollute the world.

:(

Edited by The King

I thought it was implausable, well, at least how the new ice age came about so quickly, but it had some really touching moments, and I really liked that aspect of it.

Did anyone else notice all the poorly done product placement?

I might see it...

Kinda good plot, but

HELLO!!! THIS MOVIE IS AS LIBERAL AS IT GETS!!! (excluding Micheal Moore...)

I might see it...

Kinda good plot, but

HELLO!!! THIS MOVIE IS AS LIBERAL AS IT GETS!!! (excluding Micheal Moore...)

I agree. It looks and sounds like propaganda that we're doing too much to the enviornment...