Sign in to follow this  
removed

Suggestions from TV Guide Online

TV Guide Online posted this as suggestions to help Enterprise:

HOW TO FIX TREK

1 MAKE IT OMINOUS It's cold and dark in space. Enterprise needs real peril, dread and fear so that characters are tested to within an inch of their lives. Introduce a chilling, powerful, wholly original threat that can't be vanquished in an hour. The Suliban aren't bad, but they're no Borg.

2 MAKE IT MORE REAL Let the crew make grave mistakes. Let them argue and be driven by less-than-moral impulses. Let the phaser beams rip through metal and bone. And let there be dangling emotional threads that weave through the lives of these otherwise bland characters.

3 LET CAPTAIN ARCHER BE HEROIC As written, Scott Bakula has as much commanding presence as Cap'n Crunch. Archer, like his beagle, is benign and a little too cute. He has an annoying tendency to second-guess, which trickles down to the rest of his whiny crew. Either light a fire under this laconic guy or kill him in a blaze of glory that explains why starships, planets and star systems should one day be named Archer. (And while you're at it, take out that annoying Ensign Hoshi with him.)

4 OPEN FIRE AND CLOSE THOSE PIE HOLES Enterprise should expand our belief about what is possible and transport us to realms unimagined with its ideas. But if it can't also be packed with action and adventure, move it to Lifetime. We're weary of the endless Trek babble on the bridge, the shuttlecraft, the crew quarters. Enough!

5 GET US ON THE EDGE OF OUR SEATS You shouldn't be able to figure out what the general direction and ending of any given episode is by the first 12 minutes. "Oh, here's where Hoshi overcomes her fear of failure..." "Well, it looks like Trip and that belligerent alien are going to work together to save both their hides..." Why not try some longer, unpredictable story arcs? Cliff-hangers, big and small, give a series purpose, poignancy and punch. Make us miss you this summer.

What do you people think?

I've never put much stock into TV Guide, I don't know about the rest of you but I did miss ENT last summer and couldn't wait to see the series premier this season.

course if they do all that, then people will say it's not true enough to star trek. Why are they damning a show that's only about a season and half in and trying to compare it aganist 35 years of trek, p*** off. Who wrote this gem any way. Thanks for the info though bysty :D you :D . And doesn't it say Ways to fix Trek, looks more like a list of (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't)y, said by everyone else, obvoius things that will happen over time,

All i'm saying, is give Enterprise a chance.

course if they do all that, then people will say it's not true enough to star trek. Why are they damning a show that's only about a season and half in and trying to compare it aganist 35 years of trek, p*** off. Who wrote this gem any way. Thanks for the info though bysty :D  you  :D . And doesn't it say Ways to fix Trek, looks more like a list of (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't)y, said by everyone else, obvoius things that will happen over time,

All i'm  saying, is give Enterprise a chance.

Truth be told, the save star trek campaign does have a COUPLE valid points. The most recent of which brought to my attention is in an OS episode Spock speaks about the Mind meld traditions being ancient and respectable, of course in ENT that has been changed. I hold out hope this change has something to do with the TCW but I admit that is a pretty weak argument.

Well, Spock's comment could be an example of how history is rewritten. For example, Mistress Anne Hutchinson was a dissenting rabble rouser in her time. In our time she is known as an early martyr for the rights of women.

I'm trying to say that history for the Vulcans could have been rewritten to change the label of Mind Melding from "A criminal pursuit" to "a much overlooked and abused pursuit but one which has been practiced from the time of the ancients."

Capt

Very interestig..I think that some people still aren't over the fact that this is wayyy before TOS and they want to see some more established Trek..I don't think it needs any fixing per say but that it just needs time to dig it's heels in.

Enterprise is by no means my favorite show, but it is really good. I can't wait to see how it develops over the next few years. I think it's cool to finally see a show about a time in Trek history that we really no nothing about. I wish people would quit acting like they knew evertying about 22nd centurey and let the show be what it is. Did we know everything that was going to happen in Star Wars episodes I and II? Of course not! We knew a few things about how it all came out in the end, and that's really all we know about Enterprise. I don't care what T.V. Guide says, this is still the best thing on television at the moment.

Tank, what you say is exacatly why some do not like ENT at all. They thought they had everthing about this timeframe figured out (even me) then along comes ENT to squash those thoughts. I still like it however, it kinda puts my belief in the IDIC to the test.