Sign in to follow this  
Angela

Consumer issues

Okay I read Kyra Ashleighs thread on spolied milk and thought this would be a good idea.

If you have a problem write about it. You can complain about bad service and vent a little

This is also a thread to solve some of these disputes legally and non agravationally with your local mini mart, K-Mart etc

I hate how product quality has diminished, things don't last the way they used to.

We have a fan made in the 50's, still works like brand new. We have two other modern fans bought just last summer that are falling apart before our eyes.

Our first VCR was one of those with the pop-up tape mechanism, on slow (SLP)recording speed it would lay down a playback picture BETTER than the SP recording speed of our modern VCRs.

I could go on with more examples but you get the idea; everything has become disposable garbage, it's such a waste of resources and money.

I could go on with more examples but you get the idea; everything has become disposable garbage, it's such a waste of resources and money.

I agree completely. I've got three Beta VCRs that still work like new... yet I've got two newer VHS VCRs that have major issues. There's a very noticeable difference in manufacturing quality these days. We have a very "throw it away" society and that's sad.

I've got a Tandy 1000 computer that still works perfectly even after all the abuse it's taken over the years. Yet, I have had to replace three PC's in the last five years. It really says a lot about the quality of electronics.

Okay I read Kyra Ashleighs thread on spolied milk and thought this would be a good idea.

You know, I dumped that milk out. I should have gone back to the store and made them taste it just to be evil.

I'll also lodge another major complaint. There's a convenience store by where we used to live who threatened to call the cops on me, alledging that I had a fake ID! Ok, you'd figure that a person worknig in a convenience store would recognize a valid driver's license! I'm 27, why would I need a fake ID??? :blink:

I have another nasty convenience store story I thought I'd share. When I was growing up, we used to spend summer up at my grandparents lake house. They had this little convenience store about a mile and a half away and we'd walk there for ice cream pretty often. Not so bad, right?

Well, the ice cream was safe, they made it themselves... but on occasion we'd get sent to pick up a canned item or something to go with dinner. All the cans had this big thick layer of dust on them and you had to be careful of expired stuff that had been forgotten about. Kinda like an old-style general store in the middle of nowhere, ya know? The rule was that if it didn't have a date on it, you shouldn't buy it. Quite often we'd make the 40 minute drive to town to get stuff that we knew was safe.

This same place was finally sold when the owners decided to retire. It's a gas station now and here's where it gets even nastier. My cousin was in there last weekend to pick up a few things and we had decided that the new owners had probably gotten rid of all the old food when they remodeled. Turns out one of their coolers has gone out. My cousin was going to get some butter, but when the package squished in her hand, she decided not to. She told the people, they flipped on a breaker and went about their business like nothing happened.

So, all the thawed food, sandwiches, eggs, butter, etc, just stayed there. The guy told my cousin, "oh, it'll get cold again!"

Please people, if you're ever driving through Chelan, Washington on 97A, don't buy a sandwich at the 971/S. Lakeshore Rd cutoff. You'll thank me for it!

Our local K-Mart is now converting into a "Sears Essential" store and with it everything that made K-Mart a convenient affordable place to shop is going bye-bye. :dude:

My biggest complaint right now are my uniforms. The quality control sucks big time. Most likely I spend more money to get them tailored to fit me than actually buying them. :dude::dude:

I've been disappointed with the way Via Com has handled the licensing of Star Trek episodes and shutting down fan websites.

Currently I'd very much like to find a place I can download DS9 episodes. I'm more than willing to pay for them. I'm currently living on an island in the Caribbean and can't get DVD's shipped to me. Most will disappear before they're delivered and have a heavy duty tax if they do arrive.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've been disappointed with the way Via Com has handled the licensing of Star Trek episodes and shutting down fan websites.

Currently I'd very much like to find a place I can download DS9 episodes.  I'm more than willing to pay for them.  I'm currently living on an island in the Caribbean and can't get DVD's shipped to me.  Most will disappear before they're delivered and have a heavy duty tax if they do arrive.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

320589[/snapback]

I haven't heard of that before, which sites have they shut down?

There are a couple threads around somewhere with links to sites of downloadable episodes, I never do that so I lost track of where sorry.

I heard recently that gas prices keep going up because tptb know we can absorb the extra cost & that we won't complain! :laugh: :laugh:

My experience with modern day products has led me to believe that it's not about quality anymore. Ethics have changed. Products today are made to last only a short period of time...........so that you will be forced to buy new ones...........putting more money into the hands of the big companies who make them. This includes not only electronics but autombiles, washing machines, cameras, hot water heater, furnaces...........everything you purchase today, for the most part will not last like the products of yester-year. I have a small freezer that I bought back in 1978. It is still going strong. It has out lasted four frost free refrigerator/freezers. When my electricity goes out during winter storms; that freezer saves all of the food in my frost free freezer from going bad. The ice in that old freezer takes a very long time to melt. So I unload the frost free freezer into the old one...........I wouldn't sell that old freezer under any circumstances. It may be old fashioned, it may be old...but it's a lot better and reliable than what's on the market today. :laugh::laugh::hug:

I hate how product quality has diminished, things don't last the way they used to.

We have a fan made in the 50's, still works like brand new. We have two other modern fans bought just last summer that are falling apart before our eyes.

Our first VCR was one of those with the pop-up tape mechanism, on slow (SLP)recording speed it would lay down a playback picture BETTER than the SP recording speed of our modern VCRs.

214920[/snapback]

That is so true Gotabite, right on the money.

Does anyone know if it's true that soon in the US unless you buy a digital TV or subscribe to digital cable you will no longer be able to recieve television signals?

I heard unless you shell out the dough one way or the other your TV screen will go blank within a year or so.

If this is true it make me very angry. :laugh::laugh: I am really so very tired of all of the controls that industries are putting on our lives.....forcing us to switch from cassette tapes to cd's and from VCR's to to DVD's etc. There was nothing wrong with any of those older products, just as people shouldn't have to switch to digital in order to watch TV.... people should have choices in life......and what about people who can't afford digital cable or TV's with digital signals?...........I still play my cassettes and VCR tapes from 10 years ago. I have CD's, and DVD's that skip and get scratched within a month's time, and never play correctly again. I like to make my own choices and decisions............But lately all I can see around me in this country, is control, brainwashing and greed. :hug: :)

That is so true Gotabite, right on the money.

Does anyone know if it's true that soon in the US unless you buy a digital TV or subscribe to digital cable you will no longer be able to recieve television signals?

I heard unless you shell out the dough one way or the other your TV screen will go blank within a year or so.

321146[/snapback]

321146[/snapback]

(linky)

321146[/snapback]

(linky)

321194[/snapback]

Yep that's it. The saddest part is the REAL reason they're doing this; digitally perfect products in commercials will look better than ever prompting us to spend, spend spend!