Sign in to follow this  
Cyclops

Cwo

Hi everyone. On the other star trek board I visit regularly, someone asked what duties a warrant officer (or is it chief warrant officer?) would have. Is a chief warrant officer the same as a chief petty officer or chief of operations, like O'Brien?

Edited by Cyclops

WAB, I don't think what this rank is at another site has anything to do with his rank here, does it? <_<

Is a chief warrant officer the same as a chief petty officer or chief of operations, like O'Brien?

212875[/snapback]

A CWO (Chief Warrant Officer) is an officer that rose through the enlisted ranks.

A Chief Petty Officer isn't an officer, he or she is an enlisted person. So the difference is enlisted vs. officer.

In the real fleet.... a CWO is a sailor who through technical knowledge is advanced to a rank that is actually a bridge between the enlisted ranks and the Officer ranks, They typically enjoy the same benefits as a Master Chief Petty Officer, IE no required to stand duty, even though most do, and treated as an officer, called sir, and Saluted. That is just a brief take from a sailor.

RP

Yeah. RP, who is a First Class Petty Officer, correct? Has to salute all Warrant Officers, Regardless of their Time in Service, or his. However, All Warrant and Chief Warrant Officers are junior to me (an O-2) and to all Ensigns/Second Lieutenants. Now, RP hit the nail on the head for WO and CWO duties in 4 of the 5 services (Coast Gaurd included.) In the Army, however, Warrant Officers can fly. The Army's Warrant Officer Flight Program allows Warrant Officers to become Army Aviators, flying Helicopters, including Attack Helicopters such as the Apache.

Yes Jim, I am a Petty Officer First Class Information Systems Technician, well at least for another month. MY title while on watch though is CWO (Communication Watch Officer). to confuse people more. I was approtched by the Army to be a communications, computers, and an inteligence CWO, but after they reviewed my Medical records, I was not followed up on. It would be an honor to salute you, bu tyou would have to fly out to San Diego between the 27th of September and the 7th of October to catch me b4 I start my separation leave.