Sign in to follow this  
headborg

Fish In Space

How does a xendi aquotic build a starship...without hands, fingers, or interposable thumb? How does a fish "operate"/work the controls? Now this is a area for alot of speculation/ and if they join the federation why didn't they share that technology...would b nice to have "no touch" controls! Gives new material for jokes like...how many Aquitics does it take to screw in a light bulb? Now I understand why they are so slow in making a decision, very deliberate...it must have taken thousands of years to figure out how to build without hands!

I was just wondering about that myself. The ship they have is Huge compared to everyone else's, that has to be of course for all the water. But maybe they don't build thier own ships maybe they do out sourcing to another branch of the Xindi tree. :tear: Who the H*LL knows. Let the writers tell us. E them! Ask Tim.

Yes, I had the same thought. Although, technical point - I believe they are sea based mammals like dolphins- not fish .

In truth the entire Xindi concept strains credulity. One of the differences between insects, reptiles and mammals is the nervous system and higher brain functions. Once an organism develops those functions it wouldn't be an insect under our classification system.

But didn't Degra assign the building of the Xindi weapon to the aquatics, because of their deliberative nature? So they must have the physical capacity to build. ( I love the aquatics, because they are slow and deliberative, like me! They have to get on the others' nerves because they think about the same thing over and over and over, and finally reach a decision. That's me!)

I guess I do not have as hard a time believing in the possibilities presented in the Star Trek world once I decide to enter in. The hardest thing for me to find believeable if I sat and thought about it is warp travel, a sense of "now", and humans (who are johnny-come-lately's in the world of species involved in warp travel) leading the Federation.

I used to love to sit out at night and look at the stars. One of the most profound aspects of a night sky for me was the fact that I was looking at diffferent stars from different times at the same time. Light from star A left 4.3 years ago, light from star x, 132 years ago. So in star trek, since they travel faster than light speed, they have to make star charts reflecting where each star actually is "now". They kind of skip over that thought. Any comment about how wrong the stars "look".....do they mean visually look, or look on accurate star charts?

Well, getting back to the main topic, if Degra gave the aquatics the the task of building the waepon, they had the skill, and maybe the best skill. When they were first going into space, their ships had to pass through two mediums; water, then atmospere.

Is it really any stranger that they would have ships filled with water than that humans have to have ships filled with air?

The Xendi arc ..is now a new time string ..if Xendi join the Federation....I don't remember seeing any large Tanks on the "Constitution-Enterprise or any of the others....A, B, C, D, E, F?, G?, H? I? ----J must have had "fish tanks" or they In a different time-line all to gether.....pity Kirk, Picard, Janeway...Never happened!

But don't they also have some species in the Federation who do not breathe the same air as humans and those on the Enterprise? Those species would have to serve on their own ships. Didn't they have some species in TNG that wore something that pumped his own air in his nose? I don't think the Federation consists only of oxygen breathing species.

It's one thing to have a machine pumping oxygen into your nose. It's another to need water. Not only needing to be completly surrounded by FRESH water, they will need it around their whole bodies so they don't dry out.

HMMMMMMMM ..Dried Fish... Yummi

taste like chinees water dragon

<_<

The Xendi arc ..is now a new time string ..if Xendi join the Federation....I don't remember seeing any large Tanks on the "Constitution-Enterprise or any of the others....A, B, C, D, E, F?, G?, H? I? ----J must have had "fish tanks" or they In a different time-line all to gether.....pity Kirk, Picard, Janeway...Never happened!

Enterprise is in the same timeline as the previous Trek shows. If Xindi were serving on the Enterprise-J in the 26th century, as Daniels informed Archer, they're probably Xindi-Primates or Xindi-Aborreals.

HMMMMMMMM ..Dried Fish... Yummi

taste like chinees water dragon

<_<

"COME HERE, QUIT RINNIN" :: CHASES HIM, TACKLES ILIKESEVEN, GIVES HIM A NOOGIE:: :eek::nono:

Ok-if they are mammals and not fish like someone pointed out earlier...that only makes it more complicated..cause mammals like whales..have to "come up" to breath...now u need a starship with both water and air-space above.....in a enclosed ship...in zero-g...must be very powerful inertia deponing system...all that water/air! bet it makes "cornering" tricky!

It's one thing to have a machine pumping oxygen into your nose.  It's another to need water.  Not only needing to be completly surrounded by FRESH water, they will need it around their whole bodies so they don't dry out.

not that hard, really. we have the technology to do it now, on Earth. actually, even if they are mamillian, we have the technology. see, on Nuclear submarines, they use a specific type of system to turn Salt water into fresh water. that same system can also be modified to clean the water the same as the air scrubbers found on the space shuttle and aforementioned submarines. and for all we know, the Aquatics could build their ships---and the weapon, for that matter, since it was built in an enclosed environment--underwater. if the ships can travel with any sort of decent speed in space, it can easily acheive orbit from the ground. it wouldn't be too far fetched, I think, to say that the ships are built underwater, floated to the surface, then lift off and make for space.