Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Enterprise Too Militaristic

I guess the closest thing we have today to Starfleet would be NASA. NASA is part of our military budget. NASA is supposed to be about exploration but a lot of times it has to be involved with work that is directly involved with the DOD. Without that, no funding.

They use our present day Naval ranks, correct.

Pretty much, you are correct about the ranks.

As for whether or not Enterprise has become too militaristic, I cannot say as I have not seen beyond the third or fourth episode. (Was not too interested in the series, preferred TNG. I went to give the series another chance, and it was at that point in time that my area stopped having UPN)

I guess the closest thing we have today to Starfleet would be NASA. NASA is part of our military budget. NASA is supposed to be about exploration but a lot of times it has to be involved with work that is directly involved with the DOD. Without that, no funding.
I agree that one could say that NASA is the closest we currently have to Starfleet. Plus many of the astronauts had or have military backgrounds. Edited by Yillara_Soong

the biggest difference between Nasa and Starfleet is that if we ever get invaded by aliens, NASA is useless. like I said, Coast Gaurd. Exploration and research, as well as the preservation of lives in our home territories are the main goals of the Coast Gaurd, not unlike Starfleet. also like Starfleet, the Coast Gaurd can be mobilised for Defense. something Nasa can't do.

Enterprise is just getting too militaristic for my tastes.  I enjoyed it for a story arc and understand that Starfleet is a kind of military, but it's nothing like what we have today.  Infact, I'm wonderring if it's a new kind of organization that doesn't exist yet, perhaps some kind of organization hybrid?  Anywho, that's not the point of this discussion.  My point is that there's too much fighting and not enough explorration and scientific missions.  Yes, conflict is needed for a plot, but Trek has done it years with a ship of explorration and with scientific missions.  I sincerely hope we can go back to the goold old days and perhaps even have the really out there episodes like "Vox Sola".  What do you all think?  Should Enterprise return to the mission of seasons 1 and 2, but with story arcs, or embark on "mini-missions" instead of explorration?

I guess you have not seen much of TOS. Starfleet is basically millitary. They use our present day Naval ranks, correct. Also, things are not all that peaceful in Archer's time. Kirk got into some nasty battles with the Klingons and Romulans also. I guess you are used to TNG, which was more about exploration. Most of TNG takes place during treaties. As you get into DS9, there is the war with the Dominian. I guess if there is no real war going on, Starfleet can devote more time to exploration.

Well, I've only seen a handful of TOS. Most of my Trek viewing comes from TNG, DS9, VOY, & ENT. DS9 showed war, VOY was isolated, and ENT is a prequal. With that said, I always believed Trek should be about explorrating when there wasn't a war going on. I'm not saying that war is bad. I'm not saying the Xindi-arc is bad. I'm just saying that I want classic sci-fi and episodes dealing with their mission of explorration.