Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Angel Bites The Dust.....

This was my first complete Angel episode. I thought they tried to tell two much over the coarse of an hour. Had the show been two hours, then the story could be fleshed out more, and would probably have worked far better. However, the characters were dark, crude, lacked morals and principles... heck, some of them were creatures of pure evil, demons, whatever you want to call them. I also didn't like the implication that all you had to do was "be good" in order to go to Heaven. If demons are a major player in the show, then where is God, Jesus, and the Angels in this show? Why don't they intervene or help? I also don't like the idea of the series lead being a vampire. Spike was a vampire on Buffy, but he sacrificed himself in the series finale. That, too me, was the ultimate way for the character to come to an end. Realising that he's truelly evil and that as a result, he can't be good for Buffy, he sacrificed himself to save everyone. At least, that's how I interpretted it. In Angel's finally, you didn't have any self-sacrifice like that, just bad guys fighting other bad guys. Also, what's with the cliffhanger? DS9 ended with a cliffhanger, but the kind where the show ends, but makes you ask, "Is this it, or can we expect a movie in a few years?" Angel felt like a season finale. Where's part two? Where's the resolution? Do they die? If so, what kind of message is that? Evil triumphing over good? HA! Not in my book.

Conclussion:

I'm glad the show got cancelled, as I explained in my post, I believe the show had no redeeming value.

CJLP, why on Earth would you watch this show? (I mean given your strong religious opinions) To watch either Buffy or Angel you need to suspend belief and accept the characters within the entirely fictional world within which they operate. This was not a "realistic" view of the world

You also shouldn't try to judge an entire series from the final episode because you missed some things. The whole point of their last battle was to fight the hold the "bad guys" had on the planet and Angel did sacrifice - he sacrificed what he wanted most - the possibility of having his humanity restored - in order to free the world from dominion by the group of the Black Thorn.

As for the non-ending ending - there are rumors of the occasional Angel movie in the future.

As for redeeming value - the show had wit although the humor was often subtle.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

CJLP, why on Earth would you watch this show?  (I mean given your strong religious opinions)

I'm a sucker for endings. :laugh: I just wanted to see how it ended. Buffy started out good, but went down hill with all the evil stuff, homosexuallity, witches, and so forth. However, I was still interrested in how it ended. The Buffy finale was decent, so I thought I'd tune in for the Angel finale.

To watch either Buffy or Angel you need to suspend belief and accept the characters within the entirely fictional world within which they operate.  This was not a "realistic" view of the world

I guess that's true. Still, I didn't like the implication of a Godless world. :)

You also shouldn't try to judge an entire series from the final episode because you missed some things.

Well, I was judging the show on the dark feel mostly, and the absolute lack of morals in the main characters.

The whole point of their last battle was to fight the hold the "bad guys" had on the planet and Angel did sacrifice - he sacrificed what he wanted most - the possibility of having his humanity restored - in order to free the world from dominion by the group of the Black Thorn.

Well, I understood what they were fighting for, but what I didn't understand was why they would go fight something they knew they couldn't win. You'd think they'd pick their battles better than that, ya know? As for having a soul... how can a creature of pure evil have a soul? :look:

As for the non-ending ending - there are rumors of the occasional Angel movie in the future.

Well, if they go that rought, then I can forgive the ending. Still, you'd think that something advertised as a series finale would actually end. :lol: I felt so insulted when the WB did that "Thanks for watching!" tribute. I was thinking, "Yeah, thanks for waisting my hour with a story that didn't go anywhere."

I guess I had to be a regular viewer to get the humor.

I've more thoughts on this show, but I understand that people like it, so I'll just say this leave you guys with one more comment.

When it comes to cancellation, I know how you all feel. There was a show I used to watch called ROSWELL which ran two years on the WB and a third year on UPN before getting cancelled. I became a regular viewer at the start of season 2 and a fan at the start of season 3. Then they cancelled the show after the third season aired 18 episodes, fortunately the producers knew it was probably their last season, so they tried to wrap up the show in the last 4 episodes, which I feel they did nicely. Fortunately for us Roswell fans, we got an ending, although rushed. :bow:

CJLP, why on Earth would you watch this show?  (I mean given your strong religious opinions)
I'm a sucker for endings. B) I just wanted to see how it ended.  Buffy started out good, but went down hill with all the evil stuff, homosexuallity, witches, and so forth.  However, I was still interrested in how it ended.  The Buffy finale was decent, so I thought I'd tune in for the Angel finale.

the evil stuff was what it was all about! Homosexuality & witches was Willows character development!

To watch either Buffy or Angel you need to suspend belief and accept the characters within the entirely fictional world within which they operate.  This was not a "realistic" view of the world
I guess that's true.  Still, I didn't like the implication of a Godless world. :)

On the contrary, throughout Buffy and Angel there were many implications of dozens of gods!

You also shouldn't try to judge an entire series from the final episode because you missed some things.
Well, I was judging the show on the dark feel mostly, and the absolute lack of morals in the main characters.

They tried to save the planet!

The whole point of their last battle was to fight the hold the "bad guys" had on the planet and Angel did sacrifice - he sacrificed what he wanted most - the possibility of having his humanity restored - in order to free the world from dominion by the group of the Black Thorn.
Well, I understood what they were fighting for, but what I didn't understand was why they would go fight something they knew they couldn't win.  You'd think they'd pick their battles better than that, ya know?  As for having a soul...  how can a creature of pure evil have a soul? :laugh:

A human without a soul is ment to be a creature of pure evil, a Vampire is just a souless creature, now he's a creature with a soul, duh!

Well, if they go that rought, then I can forgive the ending.  Still, you'd think that something advertised as a series finale would actually end. :look: I felt so insulted when the WB did that "Thanks for watching!" tribute. I was thinking, "Yeah, thanks for waisting my hour with a story that didn't go anywhere."

It was intertaining, that's enough.

I've more thoughts on this show, but I understand that people like it, so I'll just say this leave you guys with one more comment.

Exactly the true fans get it :lol:

When it comes to cancellation, I know how you all feel.  There was a show I used to watch called ROSWELL which ran two years on the WB and a third year on UPN before getting cancelled.  I became a regular viewer at the start of season 2 and a fan at the start of season 3.  Then they cancelled the show after the third season aired 18 episodes, fortunately the producers knew it was probably their last season, so they tried to wrap up the show in the last 4 episodes, which I feel they did nicely.  Fortunately for us Roswell fans, we got an ending, although rushed. :bow:

It ain't Roswell get over it!!!

All those Christians could kiss my Butt..If you don't agree with it CHANGE THE CHANNEL

on the other hand I am a big Angel/Buffy fan. I love it. Did you all that Angel and Spike MIGHT be on Charmed 9another WB show)

Going to watch that then

I'm a sucker for endings. :rolleyes: I just wanted to see how it ended.  Buffy started out good, but went down hill with all the evil stuff, homosexuallity, witches, and so forth.  However, I was still interrested in how it ended.  The Buffy finale was decent, so I thought I'd tune in for the Angel finale.

the evil stuff was what it was all about!

I guess thas true.

Homosexuality & witches was Willows character development!

I don't like Willow. :lol:

I guess that's true.  Still, I didn't like the implication of a Godless world. B)

On the contrary, throughout Buffy and Angel there were many implications of dozens of gods!

I believe there's only one God. :)

They tried to save the planet!

Thas not good enough. :nono:

Well, I understood what they were fighting for, but what I didn't understand was why they would go fight something they knew they couldn't win.  You'd think they'd pick their battles better than that, ya know?  As for having a soul...  how can a creature of pure evil have a soul? :P

A human without a soul is ment to be a creature of pure evil, a Vampire is just a souless creature, now he's a creature with a soul, duh!

A Human without a soul would be a vegtable to me. As far as I'm concerned, Vampires are not redeemable as they are nothing more than demons possessing dead humans.

Well, if they go that rought, then I can forgive the ending.  Still, you'd think that something advertised as a series finale would actually end. :o I felt so insulted when the WB did that "Thanks for watching!" tribute. I was thinking, "Yeah, thanks for waisting my hour with a story that didn't go anywhere."

It was intertaining, that's enough.

For you maybe, but if I'm going to watch a TV's series finale, I expect an ending, otherwise I don't bother.

Exactly the true fans get it -_-

Kind'a like how you gotta watch SG-1 to understand why O'Niell's so darn sarcastic all the time. :tear:

When it comes to cancellation, I know how you all feel.  There was a show I used to watch called ROSWELL which ran two years on the WB and a third year on UPN before getting cancelled.  I became a regular viewer at the start of season 2 and a fan at the start of season 3.  Then they cancelled the show after the third season aired 18 episodes, fortunately the producers knew it was probably their last season, so they tried to wrap up the show in the last 4 episodes, which I feel they did nicely.  Fortunately for us Roswell fans, we got an ending, although rushed. B)

It ain't Roswell get over it!!!

I know, I was just explaining that I'd had a good show get cancelled on me to show that I understand you guys frustration.

All those Christians could kiss my Butt

I'll pass.

If  you don't agree with it CHANGE THE CHANNEL

I did every time it was on, except for the series finale. :P

on the other hand I am a big Angel/Buffy fan. I love it. Did you all that Angel and Spike MIGHT be on Charmed 9another WB show)

I thought Charmed was it's own "universe", so how can they do a crossover? :rolleyes:

Going to watch that then

I'm sure you will. :nono:

I guess that's true.  Still, I didn't like the implication of a Godless world. :eek:

I believe there's only one God. :nono:

How do you know he doesn't have a father, mother, brothers, sisters etc, how do you know he's not just some higher power kid playing with his Earth? Anyone who can believe there is a god, must atleast accept the possibility of other gods.

BTW totally agree with the SG1 thing :eek:

BTW BTW <_< I think Tina ment that Sarah Michelle Gellar and David Boreanaz would make an appearance not there characters.

I guess that's true.  Still, I didn't like the implication of a Godless world. :eek:

I believe there's only one God. :nono:

How do you know he doesn't have a father, mother, brothers, sisters etc, how do you know he's not just some higher power kid playing with his Earth? Anyone who can believe there is a god, must atleast accept the possibility of other gods.

Well, the Holy Bible doesn't imply that, thus there's no reason to believe so.

BTW totally agree with the SG1 thing :lol:

SG-1 was mentioned in this thread? B) :eek: <_<

BTW BTW :eek: I think Tina ment that Sarah Michelle Gellar and David Boreanaz would make an appearance not there characters.

Ah, now see, that makes more sense. B)

A vampire is a creature with a demonic soul, Angel has both a human soul and a demonic soul who are battling each other in his body. If he experiences the one true moment of happiness he losses one soul and the other takes over.

The reason why he has both is so that the demonic soul can torment the human soul and thus lead a punishment. this was the curse laid on by the Romany gypsy's

Yeah There was talks about a Charmed/ Angel Corssover

So i would watch that..And then i will go read my Harry Potter books ..

Afterwhcih i will go to hell <_<

Afterwhcih i will go to hell <_<

Watching TV and movies and reading books of a Satanic or Demonic nature will not send you to hell, but it's not good either from a Christian perspective.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I disagreed with a lot of the theology of Angel (and Buffy), but I still really enjoyed them. (I did stop watching the last few seasons of Buffy, though.) The characters were the main reason I kept watching :eek: . And something that the both of them did which isn't too common these days :eek:, is that they both had real evil existing, and that there is a fight, good vs. evil. There were definitely things that didn't make sense or I didn't agree with, but I think being aware of those things still allowed me to enjoy the show. (Like Angel's soul - since it was the demon who was inhabiting his body that did all those horrible things, why is he, with his soul, having to find redemption? That never made any sense to me.)

I liked the series finale. I liked Wesley's death (as heartbreaking as it was <_< ), I liked the Lorn twist, and I liked Connor's involvement. I think I liked Illyria best, though. :eek: The part where she thinks she's feeling grief at the end was just - amazing, I think. The part where I think it failed was it tried to replace the typical big-fight-action scenes (like where Illyria crushes the car and it's occupants) with more emotional ones, a 'this is why we do this' kind of thing. I don't think it quite succeeded in that respect. There wasn't enough impact, importance, in those scenes. Not enough connection to the theme, either. That was pretty much my only problem with it. :nono:

which means that there is a movie in the offing at somepoint. And UPN has an option on Angel. It came about at the time of Buffy being booted over to them.

Maybe they will be financing the movie??