Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

STARTREKFANS.NET Convention

After reading the thread linked below and in it telling about a dream I had about a STARTREKFANS.NET convention the Mods and I began talking about trying to make this really happen.

The initial plan (which is in the infant stages of forming) would be to have a "convention" in the summer of 2004 in Las Vegas at the Las Vegas Hilton.

I've done some checking and the rates at the Hilton aren't that high. Around $70 per night, which is actually pretty low compared to other areas. Hotels here in Virginia Beach can be twice that or more, and we would be able to get some group discounts if we have 20 or more people attend. We would also be able to get some reservations for the Star Trek Experience as well.

Some of the things that have been discussed already would be to have STARTREKFANS.NET Tee shirts with our screen names on them and to have episode screenings of at least a few episodes. The way I would envision that would be for us to have a convention room at the Hilton reserved where we could watch one or several episodes of the various series and hold a discussion about the Episodes we were watching. If we watched 1 from each series that would be 5 to 6 hours. About 42 minutes per episode, and 15 to 20 minutes of discussion in between. If that's a bit much we could always pick a few episodes by running a poll and go from there.

I myself will be there next summer one way or the other. That's a done deal. I think it would be great if we could all plan this out as a "convention" though. I know not everyone would be able to do this, especially for some of the younger members. Convincing your parents to take you to Vegas for a "Star Trek Fans Convention" wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world to do (Unless they are Trek fans too).

We could plan this around the Official convention, or at a time that we would likely be the largest single group there. If we do it during the official convention there would be huge crowds to contend with, which has it's ups and it's downs. Prices would likely be higher during the official convention too, but then there would be some of the series stars on hand.

We'll continue making plans and looking into the details of setting it up while you all look into the possibility of attending.

One other thing we had discussed. We'd want this to be a "non-dress up" event. In other words, I can't wear my Quark outfit :laugh:. It was suggested though that if this grows and becomes an annual event we could have a banquet or something for dressing up (For those interested in doing that).

So, what are your thoughts? Below is the original link that sparked the discussions.

Trek News: Star Trek The Experience

Other links:

Star Trek: The Experience

Las Vegas Hilton

THAT WOULD BE GREAT. KEEP ME POSTED ON YOUR PROGRESS AND ARRANGEMENTS. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO ATTEND IF AT ALL POSSIBLE,HAVING NEVER BEEN TO A CONVENTION OR ANYTHING . IT WOULD BE A GREAT EXPERIENCE.

Print up my t-shirt baby, I'm there! Count my hubbie in too!

But 15 - 20 minutes for discussion? :laugh: i think we need longer than that! :laugh:

This is an AWESOME IDEA! :laugh: B)

This is a repost from a thread I thought was this one;

We've started our fund with

a big hunk of tax refund,

we are so there! drool.gif

Can't wait!

I'll be there too. :laugh:

I think it would be better to plan it for a time other than when the official convention is on. One of the reasons for a stf convention would be for all of us to meet and have fun together which would be more difficult to do when people would be wanting to go to the official convention too. And if we have a really large group go to Vegas there is the possibility that not everyone would be able to get passes for the official convention.

Mrs. Kirk - consider yourself coloured! :laugh:

and having to come from Georgia (me), Florida (Yillara) and Canada (Takara and Dsbs) i think the cheaper rates of a non-CON time woulb be better, but i think Takara and i can get into trouble no matter what else is going on. :laugh:

You can count me in! My brother-in-Law is a pilot for Southwest Airlines so I fly for free! This will be a rockin good time!

Southwest Flys to Vegas? Good, they have a Hub in Norfolk. Cheap tickets! You gotta love that! lol :laugh:

and having to come from Georgia (me), Florida (Yillara) and Canada (Takara and Dsbs) i think the cheaper rates of a non-CON time woulb be better, but i think Takara and i can get into trouble no matter what else is going on. :laugh:

That is the BIG question isn't it. Not whether we're ready for Vegas but whether Vegas is ready for US!!! :devil:

It looks like the Hilton will have everything we need to pull it off. We just need to get as big a group as we can. They have small convention rooms that will hold 50 people and they have larger rooms for larger groups. They even have he Audio/Visual equiptment we would need for Episode screening, for a price of course.

The catered event at Quarks should be pretty cool, I've always wanted to eat at Quarks! lol

If there's enough interest I'll make some calls to a few travel agents and see if we can get some group deals for a package that includes airfare.

In case you are starting a list or something we will not need transportation other than what we find for ourselves. Here in S.D. there are two shuttles daily to and from L.V. Unless I can talk an acquaintance to go and give us a lift, we will be taking the shuttle.

Mrs. Kirk - consider yourself coloured! :laugh:

LOL!! Thanks Takara! I hope none of these colors clashes with my "colorful metaphors"!

I probably won't be there unless it's at the same time as the Official convention. :laugh: I've wanted to go to an official convention for years. I've only been to one when I was a little kid. I'll have to wait and see.

To everyone who has said (and all who eventually have to say) you will not be able to make it-it won't be the same without you :laugh:

To everyone who has said (and all who eventually have to say) you will not be able to make it-it won't be the same without you :laugh: 

Very true. :laugh:

Try to be an optimist though - you still a year to try to pull it off!!! B)

Exactly...I can maybe save up enought to go and stay there a couple of nights...but I have to see what the new year brings....I WANNA GO....Why can't we have a 24th century economy now!?!?!? I WANNA GO but I can't even afford a new cheap used car! Or a season DVD boxed set of TNG yet!!!

Hey, for those who cannot come, we will take pictures and post then on the board for you all to see! :idea:

But you will be missed! :tear:

fathers days is coming...hubbie needs a video camera...don't you think? :D

Count me out...

1. I'm on the other side of the country.

2. I can barely afford to get a tv season set.

3. My family would never agree to me doing this, nor could I afford it.

:lol:  :angry:

Oh come on Jean-Luc show some ooomph!! You may be on the other side of the country.......I'm on the other side of the world(practically anyway). It would be great to all get together don't you think? Well at least think about it anyway, i understand limited finances only too well, but i am gonna try my damndest.

That sounds really fun! I don't know if i can go though. I guess you could say "I'm one one the younger members" mentioned by vaBeachGuy, but my dad loves trek, so he might take me. I also happen to live on the opposite side of the country so that might be a problem. It would really be cool though. Would it be open to only members of startrekfans.net? That would be so awesome! We could all meet each other and actually know the people we've been posting with for over a year- because then startrekfans.net will have existed for over a year.

It would be only for STARTREKFANS.NET members and their families. If someone wanted to bring a friend or 2 that would be ok too, just as long as non-members are with or sponsored by a member.

My hope in announcing this as far in advance as we have is that it will provide everyone enough time to start saving for the trip.

For anyone not able to attend though we may try to work something out where we are online for at least some time during one of the events.

Also, if all goes well and we continue to grow then we'll likely do it again the following year (2005).

I spoke to my mom about it, and I was worried that she'd say that I should save up to go back to college or say something about getting my bills paid off before thinking of going on a trip....Know what she said??? "So, Are you going?" and I said that I really wanted to go...She said"You're almost 23, and you have been dying to go to Star Trek: The Experience for years now. So save up and go for it!" Gotta love my mom, she has always been pretty cool about stuff like that...after all she let me go to Russia as a Student Ambassador when I was 13, and attend the National Young Leaders Conference in DC when I was 17! YAY! So unless I can't scrape up enough cash, and my mom is unable to help me with expenses...I WILL BE THERE EVERYONE!!!!!!!!! :angry: :lol: :D :)

YAY! So unless I can't scrape up enough cash, and my mom is unable to help me with expenses...I WILL BE THERE EVERYONE!!!!!!!!! :angry:  :lol:  :D  :)

Y~!~A~!~Y~! sun_smiley.gif

Definately...I joked with my mom about trying to take in the two Cirque du Soliel shows(Mystere and O) when I am there...ok,ok,ok so being the gymnast that I am, I actually said that I would try to sneak in to the show and get to perform with them...All she said was.."I knew you'd say that..." and then shook her head and laughed!