Theunicornhunter

Atkins Diet - Have You Tried It?

Have you tried the Atkins diet?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Have you tried the Atkins diet?

• Yes
    • No
    • Never heard of it

Wouldn't want to. It sounds downright unhealthy, I like my heart too much to poison it with fatty foods like this one is supposed to.

I agree with UA, all that saturated fat would make your cholestoral go through the roof, in fact, studies have shown that the best thing for your heart is to eat NOTHING that comes from animals (no meat, dairy, or eggs) and no overly-processed food (i.e. potato chips, twinkies, donuts, other various ta't sty things) My mom used to have a book all about it, don't know what happened to it though. In fact, I used to eat in the above manner (I took supplements and ate spinach for iron; soy, nuts, and beans for protein) not because I wanted to lose weight or anything, I just didn't like the way that they treated the animals, and I didn't trust processed food. I never felt healthier before in my entire life, but I also lost a lot of weight, and since I already have a slender build, I had to start eating eggs and dairy again. Now I'm a vegetarian, and carbs are inevietable.

Nope never tryed it i dont know why but i can eat what i want with out putting on weight,but then again i work out so i guess i burn it all off :wow:

Nope never tryed it i dont know why but i can eat what i want with out putting on weight,but then again i work out so i guess i burn it all off :wow:

ditto! my fast metabolism+lots of weight training=very HOTT QSMB!

Carbohydrates are in the diets of most every culture in the world....so why cut them out? I actually eat less meat than I used to, and have more overall balance in my diet. I have no intention of trying Atkins.

Well techinically the diet will work mostly by placebo.....

The best diet is low carb, low calorie, low fat, and lot;s of exercise....

The best diet is moderation, low carb is highly unhealthy for you because that is your main energy source. Most people on the Atkin's diet don't have enough energy to exercise because they are taking energy from their protiens and fats which is unhealthy because you are losing energy rather then gaining.

I won't touch the diet. It is unhealthy. Sure, it is a fast way to lose weight... temporarily. And the human body needs carbs. Why not just eat healthily, and stay active. That's what I do and I love my body.

I haven't tried this diet myself but my supervisor and her husband were both doing it. They cut carbs completely from their diet for about 2 months, then one night her husband had some wine with dinner (very high in carbs, they didn't know it though) and the next day he had a doughnut at work. He ended up in the ER with breathing problems and chest pains because of the sudden change. I'm sure this isn't a common problem, but his doctor strongly encouraged him to stop the low carb thing because people tend to go to the extreme with it. Then when they lose the weight they want to lose and go back to normal eating habits, they often develop health issues. Carbs are a very necessary part of a balanced diet and cutting them is a bad idea. As was stated above, the best way is to eat in moderation and exercise on a regular basis.

I haven't tried this diet myself but my supervisor and her husband were both doing it. They cut carbs completely from their diet for about 2 months, then one night her husband had some wine with dinner (very high in carbs, they didn't know it though) and the next day he had a doughnut at work. He ended up in the ER with breathing problems and chest pains because of the sudden change. I'm sure this isn't a common problem, but his doctor strongly encouraged him to stop the low carb thing because people tend to go to the extreme with it. Then when they lose the weight they want to lose and go back to normal eating habits, they often develop health issues. Carbs are a very necessary part of a balanced diet and cutting them is a bad idea. As was stated above, the best way is to eat in moderation and exercise on a regular basis.

This kind of thing may have happened to a friend of mine, too. She decided to cut out carbs almost completely. Now, everytime she drinks wine she gets stomach pains. I'll ask her when they started and see if there's a connection.

I haven't and don't plan on ever doing so, if i try a diet it's going to be the catabolic diet, which sounds like the healthiest to me to go on.

People need to eat a variety of foods. This diet may work for a while but I think you hurt yourself in ways that aren't apparent at the time. Everyone I've ever watched on it did lose alot of weight but they were miserable and all the weight came back anyway so why bother. Just learn to eat naturally, the way GOD intended and watch out for Gluttany, one of the 7 deadly sins. People have survived for thousands of years without junk food, or stuffing themselves everytime they eat. Just think about it.

Stardate:214372.9

Diet! HA HA HA HA

There is a Simpsons episode where Homer is running around and he sees a sign that says DIE so he screams,then the wind blows and moves a tree and the sign say DIET so he screams even louder and longer.

That is my reaction to diet.My fat a$$ would go into shock and die if i went on a diet :wow:

I think it's extremely unhealthy. Sure you can lose weight on it, but there are plenty of unhealthy ways to lose weight. Losing weight doesn't mean you're a strong healthy person.

Regarding carbs - I've read the real problem is the kind of carbs - not enough whole grains - too much refined flour. I've read this before but this time it was in an article about proposals to change the food pyramid.

Isn't it sad that in one of the most technologically advanced nations on the planet - the people don't know how to eat? My mom was a child during the depression (she actually misses the good old days) and they lived on a farm. She said they ate lots of beans and rice and fresh vegetables from the garden. Maybe we were better off when we were poor.

My diet alters according to how much I physically do. If I don't do much, I don't eat much, If I am busy and rush I eat like a pig. And usually stuff like veggies raw onions coleslaw fish and meals that aren't fried for the most part, though I have a thing for fast food when I am out.

This diet has lead me to lose 6 dress sizes and feel really healthy most of the time and have a quick recovery time when I do get ill

I think if you are going on a diet it should be a life long thing of altering your thoughts and perceptions on food, and also altering food intack to match your energy output.

It's like any diet. It will work for some poeple and not others. I know a vegan and another junkaholic who went on the diet and in the last year they lost a TON of weight. One of them is even a personal trainer now. Will it work for everyone? No. But 2 out of the 2 examples I know personally isn't bad.

Jenny Craig, however, I have no respect for. I know two people on that plan and swear by it. They have been on the plan forever. In the entire time I've known them they haven't lost a single pound, but every other word out of their mouth is how well the plan is working!

For myself I'm on the McDonalds diet. My problem is I don't weigh enough. Seriously. I'm 6' tall and only 135 lbs.

Edited by lt_van_roy

Yes, I tried it and I lost weight very fast...but I miss my fruit too much

and so I try to eat less carbs, but I'm not on it as strict as I was at first....