Sign in to follow this  
Captain Bolivar

How Would You Rate "The Council"?

What rating would you give "The Council" out of 10?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "The Council" out of 10?

INTRO:

Hello StarTrekEnterpriseFans of StarTrekFans.net!!! "The Council" should be interesting. As usual I didn't read about the episode in spoilers but I can only guess that this episode will bring Archer in front of the council. If so, it should be a very interesting episode indeed. Now, as members of "The Council" cast your votes for tonight's Enterprise or face destruction of your home world you Xindi scum! Bolivar out!

MY REVIEW:

This episode was a fantastic one. It made me really want to see more. And by really, I mean "really" with a capital R, capital E, capital A, capital L, capital L, and capital Y!

What was not to love? How about the battle scenes? Darn tootin'. They didn't take up too much time to reduce the greatness of the rest of the episode, and it was done in very well. It was very fluid and dazzling.

What else was there to love? The deception on all accounts! That's what! In other words, the deception by both the "guardians" and the reptilians. I loved how the reptilians are so powerful they can take control without the necessary votes. It shows how powerful people can be, and how powerless people can sometimes be to stop the crazy minded, death loving people.

Oh how about the hope of peace. I know I can love that. Tucker actually began to make peace with the man he hated most. And in return Degra found some good in Trip. That is what Star Trek is all about: hope. But it was that forgiveness on Trip's part that makes the next point so much sweeter.

The shakespherian-like death of Degra. If you didn't love that part, you gotta be biased towards Enterprise to the Nth degree because it was fantastic. He was duped like all those who die in shakesphere stories. What I loved was when our most favorite (and consequently disliked) Reptilian stepped into the chamber with Degra. All you could see was the shadow of the Reptilians antennae crossing Degra's face. At that point you could tell that "something was rotten in the state of denmark". Of course we all knew the Xindi hadn't truly accepted the evidence but the fact that Degra didn't know that was brilliant.

Moral of the story: Hope can sometimes be blind. But it's better to be blind than hopeless. (Hey I like that one, I'll use that again someday)

I also loved everything else that happened. The other characters had some interesting and light hearted interactions. From the Doctor's tapeworm story to Archer's tales about visiting the Principal's office. But most importantly, regarding other character interactions was that hoshi actually got some screen time. I was very happy about that. Not to mention that ending... wow. Can't wait to see what happens.

That's not to say I couldn't find anything to critisize, but anything I did would be very trivial. For example, I didn't like how random the beginning of the show was when the sphere builders (guardians) were conversing in some weird white background. I also wouldn't have minded a slightly less sudden death for the Marine guy. And although I loved how Degra died, I am in a way somewhat disappointed such a great actor is down and out for the count. But that, like I said, is all trivial and does not take away from the value of the episode.

WHAT I GAVE "THE COUNCIL":

So, can you count how many times I used the word love or loved in the above? I'm sure you can. That's why I'm sure you also know what I'm about to give. Seriously, you must know I'm going to give this a nice big ten. It certainly deserves it! But then again, most do.

Edited by Captain Bolivar

Excellent episode. Even though I missed the first 15 minutes (I forgot what time it was) I am giving this a 10. The episodes are growing better each week!

I'm going with a ten. This episode really filled in a lot of gaps and expanded our knowledge of the Xindi. ( I especially like the fact that the Xindi characters were finally given names).

Click for Spoiler:

The battle scene was good and the death of Degra was suprising in that I didn't think it would happen til closer to the end of the arc. Corporal Hawkins death was semi suprising because the preview gave away the fact that someone would die and Hawkins was the only 'expendable' member of the away team. Overall, I thought it was a good episode with a lot of information and it sets the stage for "Countdown" and "Zero Hour".

I gave it an 8, my lowest score this season for

Click for Spoiler:

royally depressing me. Though I have to admit the scene with Degra and the Reptilian started out amazing. The (fore)shadowing reminded me of an old movie, "Gaslight" I think (which is fitting given the Reptilian deception).

I give it a 10....I could not have given less.

Excellent buildup to the final two episodes.

Click for Spoiler:

Ah...and so it was that Degra met his fate at the tip of a reptilian dagger. Shame...Trip was really starting to reconcile with him. What a beautiful moment the two shared, eh? Of course, all good things must come to an end *cough*.

And what of Mr. Reed? All of this death is really starting to get to him. It was quite obvious that T'Pol is starting to respond more often to human reactions (emotions), judging by how quickly she tried to comfort him.

Wonderful episode...but all of this leads to much speculation!! Hoshi was taken by the reptilians!! Probably not a wise move, since Archer is not going to like that one bit.

The promo for next weeks show states that "some will not return", indicating that someone important is about to die off. Of course, from the promo, it seems like Hoshi might be the one to get the axe, but maybe that was just what the promo wanted you to believe. My, how the anticipation is building. Just what I'd expect from ST.

Wonderful acting, good action, plot movement, and some humor thrown in. 10 - No Less.

I've only got one major complaint. I didn't like T'Pol quoting Spock. Other than that, the episode was excellent.

I have no choice but to give it a 10..And I rarely give out 10s..But I can't find anything to bring that score down..An awesome episode..When the closing credits popped up I screamed "NO WAY !"..I didn't want it to end there..I just didn't want to wait a whole week for the comtinuation..

Click for Spoiler:

Of course I'm distressed that the weapon is on it's way and Hoshi was kidnapped..And the tag line for next week "Some will not return"..Well, doesn't that just grab ya ? Which cast member are we going to lose..The obvious choice is Hoshi..But I wouldn't be so sure..Can't wait for next week.. :force:

This episode of Enterprise gets the first 10 from me ever for Enterprise. What a cliffhanger ending, I can't hardly wait for next week. This season is going out with a bang! :force:

ABSOLUKA 10!!!!! THE BEST BATTLE YET. Only have ominous feeling right now, don't know why about the series. I think maybe someone is trying to tell us something :force: Anyone else have this wierd feeling too? I just can't put my finger on it.

I gave it an 8.5..it did a great job building up to the next two episodes

but it was a bit of a lull from the last two.. which is what building up is

all about.... :force:

Click for Spoiler:

I really hope they don't get rid of Hoshi, and the scenes for next week look intense....I was sorry Degra had to die but I wasn't surprised....can't wait untill next week!

I give tonight's episode a 10 out of 10. The episode - The Council had a nail biting climax.

Click for Spoiler:

I dislike the idea of Daegra being killed by one of his people. He started to see the error of his people's ways and began a means of restoring faith in an the human race. The Reptilians should have tried harder to come ro a compromise to help save their race as well as ours from their so called gods. Those beings were without honor and deserved to be destroyed. They only want the universe for their purposes. The Reptilian Xindi only see what they want-power. Once their gods are done with them, the Xindi will be destroyed.

Click for Spoiler:

I feel sorry for the Xindi. They will loose their lives because they chose to listen to aliens from the future. I know now that the war is ser in stone because the Xindi-Reptiles kidnapped Hoshi. They will pay for their deception. Capt. Archer will not stand for any more deaths of his people. He will fight to the end if need be. Only time will tell if the Xindi and Terrans can coexist together in the future. All we can do is watch and see what will happen next.

A solid 9; I liked it. :thumbs:

Click for Spoiler:

It was very entertaining (great space battle), and if she doesn't get axed, Hoshi may actually get a part now! Even with the season finale's tagline, I don't think we'll be losing a main character. They've tricked us before. If we do, I'd say Travis is most likely to get it.

Only problems:

The "Emissary"-like scene with the sphere-builders was... odd.

Reed seemed to be a little too emotional for an officer of his station (even if warranted).

I knew Degra was going to die, but I prefer he hadn't.

Other than that it was really good. :)

Edited by Ace

'Twas very very good....

Now, the first part wasn't as great, but rose up to a higher score for me.....

The Sphere-Builders scene was awesome!

The battle scene in the end was very very good, and it boosted my score up, and I can't wait for Countdown....

(Btw, there is a Doctor Who fanfiction [under the same title] about Doctor Who trying to stop September 11th, although I haven't read it, it got good reviews...)

The Xindi species got a much better focus than some of the earlier episodes, and plus another Xind-Avians reference! :) (mentioned before in The Shipment....

Got alot of other things I like, but I have it taped :thumbs: so I'm going to watch again! :)

lastresort.jpg42.gif

The Adventures of STF.net

Edited by drwho42

I voted 9 just because I don't do 10's. I thought it was definitely one of the better episodes but then they have been quite good lately.

Click for Spoiler:

I was very saddened by Degra's death. I think he is definitely my favorite recurring character. There was a great deal of depth in his portrayal - and that scene with Trip was wonderful

I didn't see the preview for next week but if it makes it obvious Hoshi isn't coming back then Hoshi will definitely be back.

There is really a lot being addressed by this episode. Did you note how Degra said he taught his children to give gratitude to the sphere builders for their help - and they used the term having faith. Think what a difficult decision for the Xindi council - two competing theories - each resulting in the loss of the Xindi civilization and both with evidence to support it.

But I am beginning to wonder why no one can find a clean uniform.

Also, just an observation - all the sphere builders in their council were female - the only male we've seen was the test subject.

I gave it a 9. I felt they could have done better with the begining of the show. I really liked the battle at the end though. I immediately thought of the Diminon Wars. Also I do not know if anyone else has spotted thid but we have seen the creators before. The Klingons, Cardassians, Federation, and Romulans all had a certain sample of DNA, which everyone except for the Federation thought it was a Mass Destruction Weapon. This episode was in the TNG series and I don't know the name of it but it was a good episode. Once the Klings, and Feds showed up the Romulans, and Cardassians showed up too. The Picard with his Tricorder activated the hologram of the "Creators". The only thing I have a problem with in the whole Enterprise series is that they are making up more history. I have the Star Trek Encyclopedia and they start with World War 3 and Cochren's Warp Flight. But now the Enterprise creators have just added all of this crap to it. I like the story line but they are complicating this, ecspecially since they ran into the Borg years, and years before Picard was supposed to when Q sent them to see how Picard would do with First Contact to such a Supreme Race. Well those are my thoughts. Keep posting, I want to know yours..

Excellent comments have been made and I almost feel bad for giving the show an 8. However, even after further reflection I'm sticking with my vote. Don't misunderstand, 8 is good in my book. The show just wasn't as excellent as episodes such as Azati Prime, Strategem and even E2.

Click for Spoiler:

There were excellent elements such as those noted above, but this episode did have issues. The segments were disjointed and without flow from one event to the next. For example, T'Pal and the others in the shuttle were in the sphere; their actions did not intertwine with the remainder of the plot, not even at the end. We were left with a mere "Tell the shuttle crew to stay put, we'll be back for them." Someone mentioned the Sphere-makers/Domion like scene. That also was disjointed, even a bit perplexing.

Overall I did like the show and can't wait until next week. As always, I enjoyed reading your posts and loved the comments made.

Guest Ktrek

I really enjoyed this episode. I gave it a 9.5 because it was an almost perfect episode. I want to watch it again. It did give me a sense of anticipation for next weeks episode. I think getting news that the show was gonna be shortened to 24 episodes from the normal 26 actually may have helped the show. The pacing has definitely improved and the shows lately have flowed much better and haven't bogged down anywhere. Good job Berman and Company! :thumbs:

Ktrek

Edited by Ktrek

Something has occurred to me about last nights show..

Click for Spoiler:

The Reptiles need 3 codes to launch the weapon against Earth..They only have 2..The Insectoids and the Reptiles..Where are they going to get the 3rd ? Could that be why they kidnapped Hoshi ? Are they going to try to get some info from her that she doesn't know she possesses ? Must be..Don't know how else they'll get that 3rd code..

I gave this episode a perfect 10, it was excellent, especialy the ending battle. I can't wait for next weeks episode.

Something has occurred to me about last nights show..

Click for Spoiler:

The Reptiles need 3 codes to launch the weapon against Earth..They only have 2..The Insectoids and the Reptiles..Where are they going to get the 3rd ? Could that be why they kidnapped Hoshi ? Are they going to try to get some info from her that she doesn't know she possesses ? Must be..Don't know how else they'll get that 3rd code..

Click for Spoiler:

Archer and his new allies among the Xindi Council attempt a full-scale assault on the superweapon being deployed toward Earth by the rebellious Reptilians and Insectoids, before a kidnapped and brainwashed Hoshi can decrypt the weapon's encoded arming mechanism and unleash its devastating power. Meanwhile, T'Pol and Trip hatch a plan to destroy a Sphere which they believe will disrupt the entire network of Spheres responsible for the Expanse's spatial anomalies, bringing the transdimensional "Sphere-Builders" directly into the fray.

Maybe this will clear things up for you spacetigger.

Maybe this will clear things up for you spacetigger.

I usually don't read spoilers before I see the show Mike..But I read yours and that explains some questions I had..I'm so anxious for next weeks show.. :thumbs:

Did not think it was as good as it could have been

I had to watch this again. I found

Click for Spoiler:

Degra's death more disturbing than I realized. I thought about it today. How sad the last words he heard were the Reptilians threats against his family.

In fact, I think Degra was probably a more complex and developed character this season than most of the regular cast. Here was a man responsible for developing a weapon that killed 7 million people and working on another to wipe out an entire race. He didn't revel in death - he couldn't help thinking about the children. But his people had come to him and convinced him it was the only way to save his people. He eventually distanced himself from that plan but well aware of the consequences if he was wrong. What a troubled man and yet what a man of conviction and principle - williing to risk it all to do the right thing.

I miss him but then war is a tragedy

I've only got one major complaint.  I didn't like T'Pol quoting Spock.  Other than that, the episode was excellent.

Well actually she did not qoute Spock, What she said is part of the Vulcan philosphy. Even Tuvok has said it on Voyager.I guess all Vulcans say it once in awhile.

I voted 10 as well. This episode was so much like TOS, and I was on the edge of my seat thru most of the episode!

Amen Captain Bolivar!

Click for Spoiler:

Overall, I thought it was a good episode with a lot of information and it sets the stage for "Countdown" and "Zero Hour".

Yeah that's exactly the way I feel about the entire arc, one after another it just keeps building up. Excellent!

And what of Mr. Reed? All of this death is really starting to get to him. It was quite obvious that T'Pol is starting to respond more often to human reactions (emotions), judging by how quickly she tried to comfort him.

That is going to be so sad if by continuing to be preoccupied with the losses he makes a senseless mistake thus getting himself added to the list, hopefully T'Pol will help herself by helping him...

ABSOLUKA 10!!!!! THE BEST BATTLE YET.

For a moment during that final battle scene I actually felt some motion sickness from the way the camera was moving in that "you are there" way. Excellent cinematography!

Only have ominous feeling right now, don't know why about the series. I think maybe someone is trying to tell us something  Anyone else have this wierd feeling too

The feeling I'm getting is one of everyone associated with the creation of this show being out to prove the bashers wrong about it. They are succeeding!

I dislike the idea of Daegra being killed by one of his people.

I thought the idea of Degra being killed by one of his own was within ENT continuity, wasn't it established earlier that the reptiles had killed off the Avains?

T'Pal and the others in the shuttle were in the sphere; their actions did not intertwine with the remainder of the plot, not even at the end.

I've watched it twice now and I'm also still perplexed over that b story, did they go on the mission because Tpol discovered that sphere was different (machine inside) or what? Going to look again...

We were left with a mere "Tell the shuttle crew to stay put, we'll be back for them." Someone mentioned the Sphere-makers/Domion like scene. That also was disjointed, even a bit perplexing.

Some of the ending confusion must be tied to what's left to be seen in the remaining episodes, their "baiting" us to return! I'm hooked!

ENT has made me proud to be among it's supporters from day one, FOUR MORE YEARS! (And beyond...)

i liked it even though i missed the first 35 minutes of it. Other than that it was a really good episode. I think the next episode is going to be said. The commercial says some people might not be returning. That is all Iam going to say for right now. Y'all have to figure it out yourselves!!!!

I missed the episode Wednesday, so had to wait until today. I enjoyed the episode very much, but I still gave it an 8.5. I think I like it as much as last week's episode, which I also gave an 8.5

Click for Spoiler:

I, like others have said, was saddened by Degra's death. Interesting how Enterprise, like true Trek caused us all to care about one of " the enemy."

He will be honored eventually as he never would have been, had the final weapon succeeded. As TUH pointed out, these people were considering evidence against beings they revered as gods. It says a lot about the character of most of those that sit on that council.

The difficulty of the episode is that right now it is kind of soap-opera like.....storylines are left dangling so you will come back for more, and the part with the sphere mission , though necessary for the final resolution , contributed nothing to this episode.

Sign in to follow this