Sign in to follow this  
master_q

How to ‘boom’ the space industry?

How to ‘boom’ the space industry?

My thoughts

Space Tourism

I think we should really try to push something like this because just think of what will happen if we can build up a 'space travel economy'. With a flow of money coming in and business putting there funds into this then just think how space travel and our science into the heavens would increase. We would have good funding for our space exploration and it would boom.

Maybe I'm going a bit overboard, but still something like this would create a chain reaction.

Of course maybe in the future we can find other ways of making money in space, but right now I think the best thing we can do and thing that we really can do is create a tourism industry. Dennis Tito paid $20,000,000. But currently it is said that it would only cost around $15,000 per person to take a trip! And that’s it! That sounds more then reasonable to me. And again just imagine the chain reactions. I would be the first one up there for that price along with tons of others. Now then we have a major funding! And that would really pay off all of the work to actually make shuttles transporting people and some kind of station quickly. And then after that with all of this new money floating around in this new industry companies would start to fund space projects. This is a very big possibility.

In fact the founder of Amazon, Jeff Bezos is staring to do just that. He and his group are working on building a cheap and reliable way shuttle that would transport people to and from space. This firm is called “Blue Origin”.

If we want space exploration to “boom” space needs to make money to fund it!

And the best way to do that right now and at our present date is to create a Space Tourism industry

What does everyone else think?

And if it does cost only $15,000 per person to go into space in the near future would you do it?

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I think Space Tourisim is a great idea! It would generate revenue, as well as getting people involved. I would probably go for 15,000, that is pretty cheap considering what we have now!

I am not currently sure about the idea about space tourism.....I mean I can see where the funding is badly needed(I mean I have been planning to become an astronaut since I was about 3, so I have basically kept up to date on that subject)... But, then again I also am not sure about bringing people up into space just for fun and profit (why am I seeing images of "Airplane 2!!" in my mind right now?!)...people train for months to prepare for a mission, and a lot of that training is to prepare them for the risks and rigors of space, training takes money...and now again we are back at square one.

Would I pay $15,000 to be a space tourist?? As much as I love the mysteries of the final frontier...I would rather train to become an astronaut, and use that $15000(If I EVER have that much in my life, Lord I WISH) to buy a new car or finish getting my Bachelors Degree, and begin Graduate school(with hopes of getting a PhD.)

As you know if space makes money then space funding will go way up. Exploration, technology, the understanding the universe, . . . all of those things would be greatly benefited. And just that is a big reason. Maybe in the future we can find other ways to make money in space, but this is all that is foreseeable right now. Truthfully I don’t see any negative for doing this. Yes we would have security issues and the like, but if we want to get up and “go where no man has gone before” we would have to push something like this. Get people evolved. Get more companies into space. Funding! Money is the issue. As they say it makes the world go around.

I see nothing wrong or going against or working against the people that train for years to go into space. The people that really want to do that will do that. That will *not* change. And not only . . . that I think that space tourism would actually encourage people to work for NASA, another agency, or . . . .. (and so on)

Master Q

I don't think space tourism is such a great idea right now... with what we have. Maybe, in the future, if we can make some sort of "space bus" and take people around in that... yeah. But right now with just a shuttle? Wow, those things are small. They're not made for many people.

And like Yillara_Soong was saying. There are people who work so hard for this. People who live almost their whole lives wanting to be astronauts. They go through all of this training and rigorous courses and things. It just doesn't seem right to just send up someone who can pay the money. There are some things you have to earn... for some things there are no short cuts.

Would I pay $15,000 to go up in space? No. If I ever have that much money available, I'll put it towards a house or a car. Plus, I would be scared out of my mind to do that! And I get motion sickness. -.-;;

I'm not totally against the idea. I just don't think we have the resources to do it now. I think that right now, the only people who should go to space are the astronauts. And later, when we have better resources and things, maybe then we can start thinking about tourism.

I don't think space tourism is such a great idea right now... with what we have.  Maybe, in the future, if we can make some sort of "space bus" and take people around in that... yeah.  But right now with just a shuttle?  Wow, those things are small.  They're not made for many people.

And like Yillara_Soong was saying.  There are people who work so hard for this.  People who live almost their whole lives wanting to be astronauts.  They go through all of this training and rigorous courses and things.  It just doesn't seem right to just send up someone who can pay the money.  There are some things you have to earn... for some things there are no short cuts.

Would I pay $15,000 to go up in space?  No.  If I ever have that much money available, I'll put it towards a house or a car.  Plus, I would be scared out of my mind to do that!  And I get motion sickness.  -.-;;

I'm not totally against the idea.  I just don't think we have the resources to do it now.  I think that right now, the only people who should go to space are the astronauts.  And later, when we have better resources and things, maybe then we can start thinking about tourism.

I’m not saying right now, but we should push something like this. And some corporations are already trying to get in. And in fact they are working on something similar to a “space bus”. We are more capable then you might realize. We are much more capable. Yes, we have lots of difficult times ahead before something could be pulled off. And I in no way say 'lets drop everything and start sending up unprofessional'. However, I think we *should* push something like this.

In no way does this take away from the people that train for years to actually get to go into space. They want to be professionals. One time I wanted to be astronauts, but right now I don’t and I can say that it is not going to take away from them. Astronomy is a passion! And in no way would a passion of being a professional change in someone’s hopes and dreams. It escapes me that someone might think that. In actuality it would have really no effect. And in fact befit those professionals. And create more of them

The input seems to only look at the short term and not that of the long. For one you have to remember I’m talking about pushing for this and *not* to go ahead tomorrow. The benefits in the *long run* outweigh the negatives.

Master Q

it would be quite troubling if some of the space tourists would die.It would bring bad publicity to space tourism and eventually all would be lost.I think we're not yet ready for the "real" space tourism...But,nevertheless,if they would offer it,I would take it

it would be quite troubling if some of the space tourists would die.It would bring bad publicity to space tourism and eventually all would be lost.I think we're not yet ready for the "real" space tourism...But,nevertheless,if they would offer it,I would take it

I agree that we are not ready for Space Tourism quite yet. I mean the industry is still trying to work out the reasons for the Columbia distaster (and yes, I do know that it all goes back to lack of funding)...so I really think it is too soon to try and send more than a standard shuttle crew into space. Maybe in the next decade or two when the program gets back on to its feet. Now if the government will turn its attention towards the needs of space industry we will just have to see before booking that interstellar vacation.