Sign in to follow this  
Falcon Redwing

Changlings

One thing I don't understand about changlings is how they can have seperate personalities even though most of them spend all their time mixed with other changlings. How do they keep their form seperate? How come when a changling is cut in half, you don't get two changlings (that would be cool and confusing?!?!)

My guess is that the Great Link was once one gigantic organism that evolved to split up its personality in a type of Mitosis, creating a kind of society. What do you guys think?

Interesting question, I would just assume that while they are in the link they are still "solid", meaning that they aren't broken into little pieces but rather are a blob unto themselves. They are interconnected to all of the other changelings and can communicate throughout the link but their entity exists in one place as opposed to being split up into thousands or millions of little bits spread around the whole link... if that makes sense. lol

Interesting question, I would just assume that while they are in the link they are still "solid", meaning that they aren't broken into little pieces but rather are a blob unto themselves. They are interconnected to all of the other changelings and can communicate throughout the link but their entity exists in one place as opposed to being split up into thousands or millions of little bits spread around the whole link... if that makes sense. lol

350661[/snapback]

I think I agree with this. I believe that the changelings all melt together. Consider, if you will, a huge transporter buffer. We know that they can usually only hold 5-6 or even less, and only for a short period of time. Imagine a transporter buffer that can hold a thousand with no time limit. To use the more familiar Federation terminology, assume the thousand Federation officers beam into the buffer for a period of 8 hours. Their data (both biological and neural) is all mixed up in there, but there's a file that says what belongs to whom. When the transporter goes off in 8 hours, they all re-energize. This is actually how a computer's hard disk works as well. All the data fragments together, but the file allocation table (FAT) keeps track of what files hold which data in which sectors, on which plates, in the hard drive. (Your hard drive has 2-5 3.5" steel plates, data stored on both sides, and the readers kind of look like record player arms.)