Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Dumb grammer question...

OK, here are 2 sentences.

Picard demanded Worf to, "Get off my bridge."

Have you ever watched the WB series "Everwood?"

Now, in the first example, the exclamation point is part of the dialog, thus it goes within the exclamation marks. What about the 2nd example, though? When it's just a single world within qoutation marks, does the senence-ender (can't remember the word) still go inside the qoutation marks? This has been bugging me for a while... Thanks! :look:

In your first example quotation marks would not be appropriate. If you reworded it to read "Picard demanded to Worf, 'Get off my bridge.' " this would be the appropriate use of quotation marks. (Note since I was quoting you I used double quotation marks around your sentence and inside the quote I used single quotation marks. Of course if I wasn't quoting you I would use the double quotation marks around "Get off my Bridge")

With your second example it would go outside because "Everwood" is a title of a tv show. If the series were called Evenwood? then the quotation marks would go after the ? mark.

PS you misspelled grammar and " " these are quotation marks ! this is an exclamation point :look:

Yes, I figured "grammer" didn't look right... and I think I misspelled it again. My spelling's gone all to crap. :oops:

Anyway, thanks for explaining the title & quotation marks, and yes, I see that I accidentally typed exclamation and not qoutation! :look:

That's it? No more talk of Grammar? Aw, come on. Is this the best you could do? I think this thread should go back on the active list for a while. :laugh: Here we go! :)