Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Data and promotion

:laugh:

Data should of gotten a promotion. There was even a trial as to whether he could make a decision about his future. That sucked. Please parden my emotional reaction. :blink:

No worries, Data! It's been very hard for me not to swear on this thread, myself...

Hear,hear on that one!!!

He didn't get promoted because Data would have looked funny in the cranberry uniform :wow:

Color has nothing to do with rank. The uniform color signifies department. Data could be promoted to Commander and still be Cheif Operations Officer, thus still wearring gold.

He didn't get promoted because Data would have looked funny in the cranberry uniform :wow:

Color has nothing to do with rank. The uniform color signifies department. Data could be promoted to Commander and still be Cheif Operations Officer, thus still wearring gold.

~crims~ was joking!

It certainly would have been great for Data to be promoted. Funny how it bothers us much more than it bothered Data. :)

I hate to stir the pot, but I just watched Nemesis again and Data is wearing LT. Commander pips. Should he not have received the new rank before this, as Commander Riker was most likely on leave until he assumed command of the other ship, and technically Data was already first officer.

I hate to stir the pot, but I just watched Nemesis again and Data is wearing LT. Commander pips.  Should he not have received the new rank before this, as Commander Riker was most likely on leave until he assumed command of the other ship, and technically Data was already first officer.

The promotion was to take effect after Riker left the Enterprise and Data assumed the duties of First Officer. It would have been nice to see him wearing the three gold pips just once. :laugh:

Edited by Takara_Soong

I hate to stir the pot, but I just watched Nemesis again and Data is wearing LT. Commander pips.  Should he not have received the new rank before this, as Commander Riker was most likely on leave until he assumed command of the other ship, and technically Data was already first officer.

The promotion was to take effect after Riker left the Enterprise and Data assumed the duties of First Officer. It would have been nice to see him wearing the four gold pips just once. :laugh:

I agree... :laugh: :laugh:

The promotion was to take effect after Riker left the Enterprise and Data assumed the duties of First Officer. It would have been nice to see him wearing the four gold pips just once. :laugh:

Well, if we're lucky...next movie? (please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please !?!)

Well, if we're lucky...next movie? (please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please !?!)

yes, tonight, before we go to bed lets all include in our prayers for another tng movie where data is promoted!

Data deserved to be a full Commander because he completed all his duties just like everyone else. Sometimes, Data did his job as well as other crewmembers duties. He even risked his life for his fellow crewmembers. This goes to show you how Lt.Cmdr. Data evolved over the years under guidance of his friends. :innocent:

l.o.l , Data will be missed.

He may have been an android but he was more human than anyone else that he came in contact with. He showed more compassion for those who deserved it and those who didn't.

Data will be missed. :laugh:

He should have been a commander :innocent:

lol, Data would have been a good embassador to the Klingons because his strength and speed are known and respected throughout the empire. :laugh:

He would have also made a good Vulcan ambassador aswell because he is more like a vulcan than human.

Also a possible ambassador to the borg as he is a sentient machine, closer to perfection than the average borg in my opinion

He should have been a commander :angry:

lol, Data would have been a good embassador to the Klingons because his strength and speed are known and respected throughout the empire. :martok:

He would have also made a good Vulcan ambassador aswell because he is more like a vulcan than human.

Also a possible ambassador to the borg as he is a sentient machine, closer to perfection than the average borg in my opinion

He should have been admiral! :P

He should have been a commander :martok:

lol, Data would have been a good embassador to the Klingons because his strength and speed are known and respected throughout the empire. :angry:

He should have been admiral! :P

Darn straight!!! Wait, wouldn't that mean he would go insane, think of all of the admirals we have seen in Trek?!....Ok, Ok...how about Captain instead???

No, Janeway...no wait, yes she did.

Ok, well he'll be the exception that proves the rule!

OK, works for me....Data becomes the first non-insane Starfleet Admiral!!!!

You know there is a precedent in Star Trek of having two Captains on a star ship. Both Kirk and Spock were Captains in the last few original crew movies. If puzzeld look at Spock's rank insignia. Kirk was just the officer in overall command. It's seems weird but there you have it.

Think about it. He could have been one of the most efficient Federation Presidents of all time.

Think about it. He could have been one of the most efficient Federation Presidents of all time.

Alongside VBG, right? :)

And yes he would have been, and still could be!

Data was able to be anything above Commander. I want him to be a Captain of a large starship that has its own series. The I'd see him ALL THE TIME!!!!! :bow:

Also, with respect, I hate people who join in a debate about something on Star Trek by saying, "it's just a show, that's why it wouldn't have worked..."

Hmmmm it was just my opinon Prometheus, And we were getting along so well. How about I try again. What I meant was that, to me, having Data promoted would not factor into the overall story, and I aplogize for coming late into the conversation, I can't catch them all. I didn't mean to dismiss Data's qualifications and agree he would make a good Captain, Admiral or Ambassador. Again, I just think Data served a better purpose being where he was then being pomoted higher. Sorry if you disagree

Data was able to be anything above Commander. I want him to be a Captain of a large starship that has its own series. The I'd see him ALL THE TIME!!!!! :bow:

Hey that is a good idea! I mean to see him as a captain of his own ship. (Well, and the getting to see him all of the time...is a definate GOOD idea....)

Alongside VBG, right? :rolleyes:

And yes he would have been, and still could be!

Of course that is what I meant. :lol:

Stardate:213422.9

I think that the only way Data would of been promoted would be to leave the Enterprise.I think that like Riker even if Data was offered a command he would of chose to stay with his friends and "family"on the Enterprise.But eventually he would of left after everybody else did.Kinda like in All good things were he is a professor at Cambridge.They didnt mention any Starfleet rank but i would assume that he was promoted at least once on he way to professor.Technically being a professor is a promotion of some sort anyways