Sign in to follow this  
poguemahone

Happy Birthday Kate Mulgrew

259918.jpg

Yes, Ma'am!

Kate Mulgrew has been in the news a lot lately. As screen legend Katharine Hepburn in Matthew Lombardo's one-woman play "Tea at Five," Mulgrew has been called "remarkable" by critics and was recently nominated for both a Lucille Lortel Award and an Outer Critics Circle Award. All of this confirms what Star Trek fans already know — that Mulgrew is a performer of remarkable charisma and power.

As Captain Kathryn Janeway on Star Trek: Voyager, Mulgrew was the first woman to headline a Trek series. Over the years, she infused Janeway with strength and passion as the captain led her diverse crew through the far reaches of the uncharted Delta Quadrant. Janeway took on intimidating new foes, such as the Kazon and the Hirogen, and had memorable encounters with old standbys like the Borg and Q. She was often forced to devise new and creative strategies for survival, all while leading her crew through a new and dangerous frontier. Through it all, Mulgrew kept Janeway human and added layers to the character with each episode. For her efforts, she received both a Saturn Award and a Golden Satellite Award.

Prior to being cast as Janeway, Mulgrew already had a long and varied career in television, theater and film. She starred in both Ryan's Hope and Mrs. Columbo (later known as Kate Loves a Mystery), for which she received a Golden Globe nomination. She also made many memorable guest star appearances — she was Sam Malone's councilwoman love interest on Cheers and an alcoholic news anchor on Murphy Brown. For the latter performance, Mulgrew received a Tracey Humanitarian Award.

In the post-Voyager years, Mulgrew continues to keep busy. In addition to her much-lauded work in "Tea at Five," she actively campaigned with her husband Tim Hagan during his gubernatorial bid for Ohio and continues to be a fan favorite at Trek conventions. Through it all, Janeway (who recently popped up as an admiral in "Star Trek Nemesis") continues to affect her life. "It wasn't until I did ["Tea at Five] that I realized how fiercely loyal [star Trek fans are]," Mulgrew marveled at 2002's Grand Slam. "People have come from all over the world, they have bought six nights, they have bought blocks of 50 seats in the theater, they have stood up in the back, and they've done this for three months straight in Hartford, Connecticut. [When] I walk out at night, and I'm taking my curtain call, I'm wanting to say, 'Thank you Captain Janeway, and thank you, you wonderful fans!'"

To comment please go to the Trek NewsForum

-FROM STARTREK.COM