Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Evans

My Only Problem With Voyager

Before you scream curses at me in Klingonese and come charging at me shaking your prized Voyager DVDs in my face, hear me out. Are you sitting comfortably... good... I shall explain.

Voyager is a great looking ship with a dedicated crew, but if you were me and you were touring the ship in dry-dock you would notice one small problem.

"Where's the bar?! I can find the mess hall, but where's the bar?"

Come on... this explain's a lot of things. On Deep Space Nine they've got Quark's bar. Horray! Cheers! P-a-r-t-y! Everyone's happy! Horray!

And on Enterprise-D, everyone's in 'Ten Forward', drinking Suarian brandy, Klingon blood wine, Irish whisky and Romulan ale. Two Ensign are standing in a corner pointing toward the bar and talking

"Do you see that... is that...?"

"Yeah... it's..."

"Oh, my god it can't..."

"It is! She was in that thing with nuns. You know... Sister act."

"It Whoopi... Whoopi... Whoopi Goldberg." The Ensign exclaims. Horray! Everybody party... it's Whoopi! Horray!

(Meanwhile on Voyager)

Voyager is flying through space. The Voyager theme tune is playing. On the bridge everyone is sat firmly in their chairs. Tom Paris is twiddling his thumbs. Tuvok looks like he might go to sleep in a minute. Chakotay keeps looking at his watch. And Harry Kim is thinking:

"Why did I sigh up for this. It's like a bad road trip."

Rewind a couple of decades and you've got Kirk flying around in the Enterprise. They haven't got a bar but Kirk makes sure they stop for one regualry. Scotty enters the bridge. Kirk turns to Chekov and Sulu.

"Mr. Sulu set course for a place where we can party."

"Setting course for Rigel VII, warp five."

"Alright!" Scotty remarks in his strong accent "The best Green slave girl strippers in the quadrant!"

Believe me when I say: "Voyager needs a bar."

:)

Edited by Lt. Evans

hehehehe, they should install a bar on Voyager....

But what did they have on the Enterprise NX-01??

T'pols Room!! he he he

Actually due to the extradinary vivid imagination of Voyager's crew.They had fun on the holodeck.Where they played pool,had a lua au and had a quaint french village..

Thats my idea of entertainment

On the other hand a bar would have been nice..BUT KEEP NEELIX OUT OF IT

:)

Edited by Ambassador tinadoll

(Enterpise NX-01 bridge. Captain Archer turns his crew.)

Archer: Say, why haven't we got a bar?

Malcom: Because we suck in every way. We haven't even got a briefing room.

Archer: Oh... so what do do we have?

Malcom: We have a transporter which can only transport cargo. But we got so bored so quickly we tested it on you within the first episode.

Dr. Phlox: Captain, I think the transport gave you brain damage!

Archer: Why?

Dr. Phlox: One episode you negotiated with pirates!

Edited by spacetigger

:jaw: No you did not just say that! They are so going to kill you over here!!!!!

:o :) :) B) ;);):wow::wow:

Much as I love ENT I can laugh cause it is partially if not wholly true.

Malcom: We have a transporter which can only transport cargo. But we got so bored so quickly we tested it on you within the first episode.

:) I love Enterprise but those are some funny comments LT. Evans..A few of them are even true..BTW, they do have that area off of the bridge they use as their briefing room to discuss situations...

But back to Voayger..

I just don't feel that having a bar is really necessary on a starship. That's like having a bar in the same building that you work in isn't it ? And they tend to have gatherings in their quarters more than anything. Don't forget they have those wonderful replicators in every room !..The Enterprise D is the only one that had a bar..And that was probably because it was more of a luxury liner than a starship..IMO.. :) Sure DS9 had a bar but that was a Space Station and that is something entirely different..Many different races not just Starfleet Personnel..Also the Voyager crew did get very creative in their holodeck programs so there probably wasn't a need for a bar on board..

hehehehe, thought that was funny, although I am a fan of Star Trek: Enterprise...lastresort.jpg42.gif

The Adventures of STF.net

Idea:

Maybe with alcohol Enterprise would be more interesting?

While reading this thread I had the idea that perhaps having a "bar" (thats is; a place where social drinking is allowed) on board Starships is a choice left to the Captain of each different ship...

Works for me.

It's a scout ship...

What do you expect..

The ship is for utilitarian not enjoyment purposes...

Actually the Interpid Class vessel was designed to fight the borg. I think of a Nova class ship as being more of a scout. Yes, Voyager did have a bar in its holodeck but that's only because Janeway realised as she was sitting on the bridge:-

"This is going to be one damn long trip... we need beer."

On the other hand a bar would have been nice..BUT KEEP NEELIX OUT OF IT

<_<

*shivers* I don't even want to think of Neelix drunk, or wasting liquor on some weird new mixed drink.

My problem with Voyager is that there are too many shots of it moving at impulse. A lot of episodes end with the ship moving at impulse. The story is over, why aren't they at warp? That's not the best way to get home. Drives me crazy.

*screams curses at Lt. Evans in Klingonese and comes charging at Lt. Evans shaking his prized Voyager DVDs in Lt. Evans' face!!!*

*screams curses at Lt. Evans in Klingonese and comes charging at Lt. Evans shaking his prized Voyager DVDs in Lt. Evans' face!!!*

Ummm, ok....

*eats something Klingonese*lastresort.jpg42.gif

spin.gifThe Adventures of STF.net

There were a LOT of problems with VOYAGER.

Alright, there were some decent episodes, but not enough for my liking.

The main problem was the concept of the show. It may have sounded good on paper, but having the action set in a distant part of the galaxy was dependent on having a very good cast that the audience could sympathise with and this required strong characters. Instead VOYAGER presented the audience with the most insipid and weak regular characters ever seen in Trek.

We got these losers:

Janeway: Not the worst character, but it was completely unbelievable that a crew that contained terrorists and mercenaries would go along with her when she passed up an opportunity to take the crew home in the first episode, in favour of saving some alien race that in all honesty no one could give a crap about. It was hard for me to watch and listen to any of her scenes because of Kate Mulgrew's horrible voice. Plus, where was the character development??? Someone should have told Jeri Taylor that character development must go further than having a different hairstyle every season.

Chakotay: Without a doubt, the most boring character in this show. And that's saying something believe me. Where was his character development??? In fact, no character in VOYAGER showed any kind of evolution and growth. This guy was such a committed and feared terrorist and he meets Janeway for five minutes and suddenly decides to be her subordinate??? Then he develops feelings for Janeway and that storyline goes no where. She cared more about coffee than she did about this tattooed moron. Did this guy do anything of interest on VOY other than stand around and look hard with his goofy head tattoo???

B'elanna Torres: OK so let me get this straight. She was at the Academy for a while. She served on some junkpile Maquis ship for a while. Then she moves onto an Intrepid class starship and suddenly this makes her qualified to be the Chief Engineer??? Why do the cadets even bother staying at the Academy??? They may as well only go to one class, then fly around an old shuttle and there you are!!! You have a fully qualified engineer!!! OK, so the deal with this character is that she was ""FEISTY"". Well, other than that she had an unlikely relationship with Paris (one season she hates him, then apparantly wakes up one morning and realises "Hey, that guy I thought I hate, well, as it turns out, I love him!!!" Yeah right. Did Paramount expect people to like this character??? She had so many moodswings, all I wanted someone to do was to give her a slap.

Tom Paris and The Doctor: Now these two were actually good characters, the best two characters in this wretched show IMO. So I won't complain about him. They were the highlights in an otherwise dull and tedious show.

Tuvok: The second most boring character. Yes, he was a Vulcan, no, he was not as cool as Spock. Spock had personality and character, he was torn between two worlds, being half human and half Vulcan. Tuvok was a full Vulcan. Well, full Vulcans are boring. What was the point of putting this guy on the show??? Again, a character who did nothing of interest on this show. Of course, it's not the actors fault, it's the poor writing.

Neelix: Oh dear God!!! Need I even say anything about this character??? The less said the better.

Kes: Another abysmal character. Her departure from the show was an improvement. Neelix and Kes should NEVER have been on this show.

Seven Of Nine: A big improvement on Kes. Obviously Jeri Ryan is very beautiful and her arrival on the show did freshen things up and did offer some exploration of the Borg. However, this I believe was the start of something that has severely affected ENTERPRISE. This character was introduced to add sex appeal to the show. Forgetting that Star Trek has always been a show that appeals to a more intelligent audience. It was the start of Berman's attempts to access the audience that tunes into shows like "The O.C.". It wasn't as bad with Seven because the character was interesting, but it's full horror has been realised with T'Pol. A walking pair of breasts whose unecessary displays of skin and T/A is so gratuitous that it is insulting.

Harry Kim: This character again, did nothing on this show. He was like the exact opposite of Wesley Crusher, he was annoying like Wesley, but instead of being a genius, Harry Kim was totally inept. His character was so green and nervous, I'm surprised that he graduated from Starfleet and if that was unlikely, it pales to the unlikelihood that on his first assignment he would be made Operation's Manager on a starship??? No surprise that he never got a promotion. Poor Harry Kim, destined to be an Ensign until his death. Although, he did play the clarinet quite well, surely THAT deserved a promotion? Maybe....Chief Bugle Boy or something?

:lol:

Edited by The King

In fact, no character in VOYAGER showed any kind of evolution and growth.

This is all *B*L*E*E*P*!!! Voyager had the MOST character development of ALL of Trek!

Ahem, B'Elanna Torres! From this brutal half Klingon to this calm half human.

Seven of Nine: From "everything is irrelevant" to let me teach the this somewhat human person.

Finally, the moment we've all been waiting for...

HARRY KIM!!! DUHHH!!! FROM THIS NERVOUS, DO EVERYTHING BY THE BOOK, KID, TO THIS LAID BACK, EXPERIENCED OFFICER!!!

Plus many others, including... THE DOCTOR!!!

I have to agree with The King on most points.. I've never felt that I cared for any of the characters on VOY accept the doctor.

Voyager had the MOST character development of ALL of Trek!

Oh please!

The characters developed from being boring to slightly less tedious.

Ahem, B'Elanna Torres! From this brutal half Klingon to this calm half human.

Were you watching the same show I was?

It was "Star Trek: Voyager" right?

Seven of Nine: From "everything is irrelevant" to let me teach the this somewhat human person.

Well her outfits changed, so not much development there.

Finally, the moment we've all been waiting for...

HARRY KIM!!! DUHHH!!! FROM THIS NERVOUS, DO EVERYTHING BY THE BOOK, KID, TO THIS LAID BACK, EXPERIENCED OFFICER!!!

Hmmm, not biased are you?

Harry Kim experienced??? Good God!!!

Plus many others, including... THE DOCTOR!!!

Well he learned how to sing and dance and stuff. What exactly would they do with him once they got back to Earth??? Just switch him off?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion King, please allow -HK- to have his. -HK-, same goes for those who dis-liked VOY.

Ahem

::restrains harry kim as she goes toe to toe with King::

Excuse me. You see every Trek show has thier kinks

Tos- too silly

TNG- too stuffy

DS9-too dark

Voy-too um all of the above

(Keeing enterprise out of this)

Your entitled to your opinions but there are limits. So whats your complaint? That the show was not up to your standerds..Excuse me.Have you seen Enterprise? Thats one crappy show.

So thank you for your opinions..Now move on :lol: :lol:

I agree AE..All opinions on Voyager are welcome here..

King you are really critical of Voyager..I respect your opinion but I disagree on most points except one..You see I like Voyager..I don't feel it's as bad as you make it sound..I really enjoy watching those episodes..Sure, some of the characters may be weak..Like Neelix and Kes but they are necessary to the show IMO..But what bothers me about Voyager is Chakotay..They certainly didn't do much with his character..With a few exceptions..I mean he is the first officer and should have been a major part of the show..

Hmmm, I like all Trek....

Just as I like most science-fiction....

The Doctor was a good character, holograms are cool in my opinion....lastresort.jpg42.gif

Everyone is entitled to their opinion King, please allow -HK- to have his. -HK-, same goes for those who dis-liked VOY.

I never tried to stop -harrykim- from expressing an opinion. I was simply responding to certain statements.

King you are really critical of Voyager

I think the main reason I am critical of Voyager is that aside from the fact that I personally didn't think it was a good show, but it was totally outclassed by DS9 which was being produced alongside it. I think it showed that DS9 was allowed to evolve as the best Trek show IMO without the intereference of Rick Berman who concentrated on VOY leaving more talented people in charge of DS9. I feel that Rick Berman and his crony Brannon Braga are not taking the franchise in the direction it needs to go. Star Trek IMO right now is in a very weakened state. VOY was the first sign of this decline of Trek in my opinion. I do however think that as bad as I believe it was, VOY is superior to ENT which I just cannot stand to watch anymore. I'm sitting out the rest of this tedious Xindi Arc and waiting for the next season.

:laugh: :P

Edited by The King

I didn't mind the Voyager crew. I just think they needed a bar...

I personally hope that Harry Kim got promoted to Lieutenant Commander after returning home. Then, after giving a few lectures on the Delta Quadrant at StarFleet Academy in San Francisco I hope he was posted on Deep Space Nine, under Chief O'Brien, I think they'd make a good pair... O'Brien could teach Harry a lot of useful things and Harry would make a good friend for O'Brien and Bashir.

It's something I never really thought of but to be fair they did all spend time in Fairhaven's bar and they weren't that shy about drinking in the mess hall