Sign in to follow this  
gdog243

Shore Leave

I usually don't get to watch much Star Trek, but friday evidently, Sci-fi was playing a marathon and I was able to see this episode for the first time ever. Trek sure had a way of being weird, and this episode is a prime example. I mean a planet that is really an "Amusment Park" (I loved how they decided to actually take the literal meaning of amusment) and seeing something like alice and the white rabbit was just odd but enjoyable. Shore Leave was also funny because of the conflict between Kirk and his acadamy rival. Like I said, the episode was weird, but fun.

What are your thoughts on this episode.

Always liked Shore Leave even though as you say it was wierd...But that's TOS for ya. At times they didn't take themselves seriously and just had fun with it.. :) I liked Kirk and his academy rival..That was entertaining..Too bad they didn't have the budget for some cool alien monsters..I bet Sulu and the rest of the landing party could have conjured up some scary monsters..But then again it wouldn't have had the charm of Alice and Wonderland.. :) Alice and that White Rabbit was a bizarre way to start the show..It was fun though..

It's a great episode, but I don't know that I would like to go such a place without knowing beforehand what exactly was going on. That way I could make some kind of attempt to control certain thoughts. Imagine that though, you could have anything you want (or anyone :)) at anytime you wanted it. What a place.

It's a great episode, but I don't know that I would like to go such a place without  knowing beforehand what exactly was going on.  That way I could make some kind of attempt to control certain thoughts.  Imagine that though, you could have anything you want (or anyone  :)) at anytime you wanted it.  What a  place.

Sounds like paradise...more or less. B) :)

Imagine that though, you could have anything you want (or anyone  :)) at anytime you wanted it.  What a  place.

hehehehehe, I would wreak havoc and nonsense across Amusement Park Planet if the good olde Doctor of 42 paid a visit to there..... :) lastresort.jpg42.gif

The Adventures of STF.net

Shore Leave is quirky and fun. The first episode that made an eleven year old - who was watching reruns to see what this show was about - absolutely fall in love with this show that, as stated, didn't always take itself horribly seriously.

It's one of my favorite episodesof TOS. ( I have about fourteen of them!)

"I just saw a large rabbit pull a gold watch from his vest and claim that he was late."

"That's pretty good. I got one for you. The rabbit was followed by a little blond girl, right?"

I love that episode. I mean, it's a classic! :wow:

I also found that Finnegan guy pretty annoying, but I guess Kirk thought the same, so I'm not alone on that :wow:

It's one of my fave TOS episodes. I love Bone's face when he sees the white rabbit. :P

I always found it interesting that 2 characters so closely involved with Kirk had such similar names:

"Hello, Captain! Nothing to say, Captain?" Finney -Court Martial

and

"Hey, Jim baby! I see you brought reinforcements." Finnegan -Shore Leave

Interesting to see this old thread pop up! Shore Leave is one of my favorite TOS episodes too. The Knight, the Japanese warrior, Finnegan were all interesting looks into the thoughts of the main characters. The show girls who show up at the end were a funny touch! Definitely a fun, change of pace show.

I found it interesting to read about the way this episode was created, it was done 'on the fly' as they were shooting. Roddenberry was literally sitting under a tree writing it as they were shooting. There is of course more to the story than that but it was one of those things where they just couldn't use the script as it had been written and they were out of time to start shooting, so it was re-written during shooting.

I had always hoped to see TNG, DS9 or even Enterprise show up at that planet.

It would have been cool, to see the 'Master of Ceremonies' descendent welcome the Federation folks back...but, with holodecks so commonplace...

In the holodecks though, the participants know they're in a holodeck and picked the holostory that's playing. On the amusement planet it's their random thoughts that 'pick' the adventure.

Would have been cool to see, but probably wouldn't have worked.

Oh, SORRY-right!Forgot. Yes, it detected their brain patterns....as said, still neat to have seen it. I always loved tie-ins in the series to TOS..such as 'Flashback', or 'Trials and..'

It was a great episode, it must have been we named a convention after it.

In my opinion this is a very good and funny episode, but a little bit weak. The highlights for me was Dr. McCoy spying Yeoman Barrows, the participation of Bruce Mars as Finnegan and know a little more about Kirk's past.

I loved to watch Star Trek:Shore Leave-I Do really needed a shore leave A unrefusingly amust amusement dan motivational times. rolleyes.gif