Sign in to follow this  
Falcon Redwing

Starfleet Ranks

In the show, I am confused about the Starfleet ranks (on the show, so don't tell me about the site ranks VBG) in several areas.

First of all, what's the deal with enlisted crewman? They are rarely mentioned, and I don't remember if they have pips, but if I remember correctly, they comprise of over half the crew. How come they are different from officers? This one stumps me.

Second, I know mostly about the higher ranks (the ones in the gold square) One pip is Commodore (though we only see a commodore once, and that one is in TOS so we don't see the actual pin (thanks for startrekfans.net!). Two pips is rear admiral (on the show they say vice admiral but I don't think there is a difference. Three pips is Admiral. So what is four pips? Is it a higher admiral? I really don't know.

And I'm pretty sure there is no five pip rank in the higher ranks on the show (You must think really much of yourself to give yourself that rank VBG)

Okay, Enlisted personel are people that have enlisted to be in Starfleet but did not attend Starfleet academy so they cannot hold rank. Here are the other ranks, to the best of my knowledge,

1 solid gold pip Ensign

1 solid gold pip and 1 black pip with gold outline Junior LT.

2 solid gold pops Lieutenant

2 solid gold pips and 1 black pip with gold outline LT. Commander

3 solid gold pips Commander

4 solid gold pips Captain

1 solid gold pip with square black/gold outline Commadore

2 solid gold pips with square black/gold outline Rear Admiral

3 solid gold pips with square black/gold outline Vice Admiral

4 solid gold pips with square black/gold outline Admiral

4 solid gold pips with square black/gold outline

(on both sides of the collar) Fleet Admiral

If anyone has any different information please let me know.

The academy is for people that want to become officers, not inlisted personel. It is alot like our current military. People can enlist without going through officers training, which is basically what the academy is. These people can serve but they cannot hold rank.