Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

News on Star Trek 11

Everyone, I found out news on the 11th Star Trek movie.

Rick Berman: "Prequel" Film in the Works, Plus Developing New Series With Braga

By Steve Krutzler / 12:42, 22 April 2004 / General Star Trek

After over a year of silence on the future of the STAR TREK feature film franchise, producer Rick Berman has finally dropped the first hints of a new theatrical project for the franchise. The news comes in the new issue of Dreamwatch magazine, just coming out in the UK.

Speaking in issue #117, Berman confirms for the first time that he is now developing a STAR TREK feature film project: "I am involved in the very early stages of what could be the next STAR TREK movie," reveals Berman, in an excerpt provided by Dreamwatch. "It's something I will be producing with two other producers."

Unwilling to offer many details he cryptically describes it as "a prequel" without any further elaboration. The names of his producing cohorts will have to remain unknown for now, as well. This follows a report earlier this week from Dark Horizons that Paramount may be working on a project the site described as "Starfleet Command." Coincidentially, former TREK producer Harve Bennett (STAR TREKs II-VI) revealed recently that several years ago he had pitched a Starfleet Academy-based STAR TREK movie concept.

On the television front, while the future of their first series remains in limbo, Berman confirms that he is developing a non-STAR TREK sci-fi series with partner Brannon Braga. Both Berman and Braga have development deals with Paramount. If a new series begins development in earnest, TrekWeb insiders suggest Berman and/or Braga might take a reduced role in a fourth season of ENTERPRISE, though this is entirely speculation.

For the full interview and much more, check out issue #117 of Dreamwatch magazine in the United Kingdom.

Sorry about that, I got so excitied, I forgot to copy'n paste the article. If you all would like a link, you can find the article here. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link changed to the direct article, not to his forum

Edited by master_q

Uh oh sounds like a bad plot...

Prequel...

Remember Generations.....

Sorry about that, I got so excitied, I forgot to copy'n paste the article.  If you all would like a link, you can find the article here. :frusty:

Link changed to the direct article, not to his forum

What's the difference between linking to Imagination Island and TrekBBS? There both message boards, and I'm not even competition. :frusty:

Umm, am i the only one who thinks they completely forgot about DS9/Voy?

I get the impression the writers would have a time making a DS9 or VOY film based on the ways in which those series ended. I'd go see it if they did though.

The whole 3-part prequel rumor that's going around really has me worried. I think that it'll just contribute to the non-sci-fi fans' confusion as to the difference between Star TREK and Star WARS. :frusty:

I mean, it might be cool to see something based on the Eugenics Wars or something like that... but like I said before... I'm skeptical. Very skeptical.

:frusty: :P :P :hug: Sounds like very good news I can only hope it stays with Gene Roddenbery's dream. :frusty::bow::bow: :P

I hope they stay true to there values. I will just wait and see what will happen.

Uh oh sounds like a bad plot...

Prequel...

Remember Generations.....

Generations wasn't a prequel, but I agree that it had a bad plot.

I don't know how I feel about this but as long it's not dead then there is hope! I still wish they would make a DS9 movie. It was by far the best series.

My guess is that they will try to deal with the Romulan War in the pre-quel. Trek fans are looking for it, and if they deal with it in the movies, they donot have to ahve a protracted conflict in the series.

OR

They might deal with the founding of the Federation! :assimilated:

I think something fishy is happening here and it doesn't smell good.

There had been a rumour floating around the web regarding this "Trek news" but nothing official had been issued. Until I receive an official press release I would take this rumour with a grain of salt. I will be geniunely surpirse Berman will be granted the green light to proceed after the poor box office performance of Nemesis.

IT HAD BETTER BE DEEP SPACE NINE.  THEY HAVE CONCENTRATED ON TNG WAY WAY TOO MUCH!!!!!

Mr Berman states in the interview that this movie , if given the go-ahead, will be a prequel. Sorry, no DS9 there. I just wonder if any of the characters we know and love will make cameo appearances...for example, Picard begins telling a story about his days in the academy, and *flashback* the movie begins...

I won't go see a PREQUEL ... it's as simple as that. I detest prequels with a passion in any franchise (Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom -- sucked. Those retarded Star Wars prequels -- both sucked. etc. etc.)

Nemesis was an all right film and I agree with Captain Jean-Luc Picard, the marketing of that movie was what hurt it at the box office, the release date, etc. Those things had nothing to do with Rick Berman. I mean, honestly, they should have waited until January to release that film, not the week before Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers! Who is that stupid? Whoever's decision that was should have been fired. Believe me, there are worse flicks than Nemesis put out there every day that do just fine because of when they are released. This is not rocket science.

But back to the topic at hand ... If they do a ST movie that does not include any of the cast from DS9 or Voyager, that does not incorporate the happenings from DS9 in regard to the Dominion War, the wormhole, the tentative alliance with those wacky Romulans, Martok the new chancellor of the Klingon Empire and an explanation of what in the hell Worf is doing back on the Enterprise, I will not go see it.

The whole "prequel" premise is why I have not been able to get into Enterprise (although I did vote to save it, folks, 'cuz I know that many of you like it.). Prequels are horrible ... just my opinion.

Reading one of the four links to this news today, I am a little concerned that B&B are in the process of developing a new scifi series that is non-trek. Of course they have the right to flow wherever their creative juices lead them, but it makes me wonder if they are committed to Enterprise's survival.

But I would want to see the new Star Trek movie, even if it turns out to be a pre-quel.

Im a little scared of a prequal too...i just dont know about it. i will always go to a star trek movie of course....but im a little unsure about it. we will see more in the future.

Maybe they are gonna make a STARTREK comedy with Weird Al as captain, and Jim Cary as the funny Vulcan :bow::naughty:

I won't go see a PREQUEL ... it's as simple as that.  I detest prequels with a passion in any franchise (Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom -- sucked.  Those retarded Star Wars prequels -- both sucked. etc. etc.)

Temple of Doom was a prequal? :P That's cool not liking prequals, but in doing so, you're missing out on some awesome stories. Why does being a prequal automatically make it bad? :bow:

Nemesis was an all right film and I agree with Captain Jean-Luc Picard, the marketing of that movie was what hurt it at the box office, the release date, etc.  Those things had nothing to do with Rick Berman.  I mean, honestly, they should have waited until January to release that film, not the week before Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers!  Who is that stupid?

Studio executives. :naughty:

Whoever's decision that was should have been fired.

Agreed. :P

Believe me, there are worse flicks than Nemesis put out there every day that do just fine because of when they are released.  This is not rocket science.

There are movies out there that are some of the worst I've ever seen, and some how, they manage to become a box office smash while Nemesis fails. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the movie was release at a bad time and that people prefer pretty scenery, mindless action, and stupidity over a good story.

But back to the topic at hand ... If they do a ST movie that does not include any of the cast from DS9 or Voyager, that does not incorporate the happenings from DS9 in regard to the Dominion War, the wormhole, the tentative alliance with those wacky Romulans, Martok the new chancellor of the Klingon Empire and an explanation of what in the hell Worf is doing back on the Enterprise, I will not go see it.

Ya know, they made a huge leap from the TOS movies to TNG, so why not take another huge leap, only this time backwards? As long as it expands the existing fictional universe and tells good stories, I'm all for it.

The whole "prequel" premise is why I have not been able to get into Enterprise (although I did vote to save it, folks, 'cuz I know that many of you like it.).  Prequels are horrible ... just my opinion.

To me, the purpose of a prequal is to tell the beginning which was never told. For example, Enterprise shows Humanity going out into space and explorring the galaxy for the very first time, something that Star Trek didn't show. With TOS, we already had an avanced ship, a brave crew, and saw that Humanity had become a major power in the galaxy. However, we never got an origin story. Fortunately for the Stargate franchise, they will never need to do a prequal, becuase it all started with the movie.

As for a prequal movie, I don't want to see a prequal just for the sake of seeing a prequal. If they're going to do a prequal, it had better be one that people would have wanted to see. I always wanted to see the 22nd century of Trek, so that's why I love ENT. Hopefully, this new movie can pull off an equally good story. :bow: