Sign in to follow this  
master_q

Genetic 101 Discussion

First, Genetics is very interesting and probably my second favorite field of scientific interest. (First being Quantum Physics and Theoretical Physics)

Okay, that impresses me - seriously

About "designer babies" - this technology is still pretty futuristic.  I think it is a very tough issue.  For example, if you asked people: "is it right to genetically modify ourselves to remove a cancer-causing gene?", almost everyone would say yes.  If you asked: "is it right to make people smarter, or stronger, or better-looking?" you would get mixed replies.  I, personally, am in favor of genetically manipulaing human to make ourselfs better.  This, in the future could allow humans to rise to heights never before dreamed of.  We could rise above poverty, greed, malice, and a whole host of counter-productive human traits.  I think the main problem with this is some stigma from the way it has been used in the past (like hitler).  Keep in mind, these are just my opinions.

I think the ethics part lies primarily in the "experimental" nature of our technology and that attempts to clone an individual could result in a real ethical disaster. I think another ethics concern is the psychological baggage that dsbs referred to that might be dumped on the newborn individual.

As for designer babies: I don't think it would elevate the human race. Call me a pessimist I think it would be much like things are today. The benefits go to those that can afford it so we'd have a wealthy, advanced, healthy class and a poor genetically inferior (non-modified) class that does the low-level jobs. hmmmm

I do believe that cloning organs has real potential to improve the quality of life

Now, I am getting on my soap box. One reason I hate the idea of cloning (and other extravagant reproduction techniques) is that we have thousands of children in the US that need loving homes. We have antiquated laws that place nearly impenetrable barriers to adoption. Children are left in the "system" so long that they become unplaceable. And then we have people jumping through painful, expensive hoops to conceive. Yes, I think cloning is useless when there are so many children that need parents. .. I am packing up my soapbox now.