Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Work ethic - what is it? Do we still have it?

How would you define work ethic? Do you think Americans still have it? Do other countries think America has a work ethic? Is it a problem/issue in your country?

I've spent a lot of time as a temp and I've had people comment on my work ethic more than once. All I do is show up and do my job. Apparently showing up isn't all that commonplace. I have a relative who has talked about where she works - how often people will call in for any number of reasons.

I've worked with people who make certain they use every available sick day they accrue. I've worked with people who spent half the day on the phone on personal calls and stay late to do their work while earning overtime. I've worked with people who consider thinking optional - they only do what they're told to do.

What is your experience in the workplace?

I've obviously worked with hard working people but it's the rotten apples that seem to stick out.

**edited to change word

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

I am not sure but this is what I understand from school.

Work Ethic = Your Atitude towards your Job:

Determination, Lazyness, Tardyness, On Task, showing up at all, you know what makes a good/bad worker

and that you can have a good work ethic or a bad one.

Maybe I am wrong tho.

I also think that too many americans have a bad work ethic.

The term "too many" is rather subjective. As I see it, if any of us have a "bad work ethic", it's too many. Having a job is a blessing, & as such should be appreciated; it's much better than the alternative (i.e. unemployment.) As I see it, anyone who doesn't want to do their job is welcome to try the alternative for themselves. I've been on both sides of the coin, & believe me, having a job is better.

i believe that it is not the fact that you have a work ethic or not but how many people have say a good one and how many people say have a bad one, it all depends on motovation, if we work at what we like though we can be motivated

I think having a good work ethic is important. if I run a business, I expect my employees to be there and to do their jobs, and if they don't show up, and don't work, They will be fired. How can you expect to keep a job if you don't show up, and don't work?

I think having a good work ethic is important. if I run a business, I expect my employees to be there and to do their jobs, and if they don't show up, and don't work, They will be fired. How can you expect to keep a job if you don't show up, and don't work?

Not much experience in the corporate world huh? Can you say "threat of lawsuit"; even though most states have employment at will laws - most corporations go through painstaking procedures to document why they terminate someone. So some people can get away with a lot and still keep their job and some people even if rightfully terminated will sue former employers - who even if they win still lose because of the cost.

You know that feeling when you're running around at work and you feel like you're the only one lifting a finger?

I hate that feeling.

When I was in restaurant and retail management, I would never ask an employee to do something I was unwilling to do right along with them. I'm a strong believer in leading by example.

The way I see it, there's a lot of people setting the opposite example. How often do you hear about someone's boss who sits in the office and literally plays Solitaire and talks on the phone all day while their work ends up on someone else's desk? I worked for that guy. I never blinked when his job became mine because he didn't feel like doing it. I worked extra hard while he took long lunches to Stuart Anderson's.

I think "work ethic" has to do with two things, first how you were raised and second, how much your job means to you.

I don't about others, but some people at my place of work call me a work acholic. I'm rarely ever late and I give everthing I've got every time I go. Sometimes I think that part of the problem with Americans is that they are constantly on the go somewhere and they get worn out so there productivity at work goes down.