Sign in to follow this  
StarfleetMarine

First Contact

You know in the scene when Starfleet engages the Borg? Well, I own ST: Armada 2 and there's several different classes of ships.

Nebula-class, Intrepid-class, Akira-class, Steamrunner-class, Sabre-class, and Aegian-class, Sovereign-class, Galaxy-class, Defiant-class and Venture-class ships.

I kept on watching First Contact and recognized these. Akira, Steamrunner, Defiant, class ships. I didn't see any Intrepid, Glaxay, Nebula, Sabre, Aegian, Venture ships. Could anybody recognize any other ships?

Well, I'm fairly certain that at some point or another there is a Nebula class ship, but I can't be totally sure.

At the same time remember that a good portion of the fleet was destroyed at the Typho sector. and there might have been a limited number as it, with the Klingon threat and threat of a Dominion invasion over by Deep Space Nine. Come to think of it, thats probably why Sisko, Kira, or Dax didn't take the Defiant to the fight.

You know in the scene when Starfleet engages the Borg? Well, I own ST: Armada 2 and there's several different classes of ships.

Nebula-class, Intrepid-class, Akira-class, Steamrunner-class, Sabre-class, and Aegian-class, Sovereign-class, Galaxy-class, Defiant-class and Venture-class ships.

I kept on watching First Contact and recognized these. Akira, Steamrunner, Defiant, class ships. I didn't see any Intrepid, Glaxay, Nebula, Sabre, Aegian, Venture ships. Could anybody recognize any other ships?

The following Starfleet ships can be seen in the battle with the Borg cube.

U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-E, Sovereign-class

U.S.S. Defiant NX-74205, Defiant-class

Nebula-class

Miranda-class

Orbeth-class

Four ship-classes designed for the movie:

Akira

Steamrunner

Saber

Norway (never seen again :bow: )

The Venture class is the same design as the scoutship in Star Trek Insurrection. I believe the Aegian and Iwo Jima class starships are not canon.

Venture and Aegian are not canon according to DITL which does not have them listed anywhere.

Here is the stuff about the

Norway class.

Type Destroyer (science/diplomacy enhanced)

Unit Run NCC 64923 USS Budapest

USS Norway

plus 297 others built in total. 231 have been lost in all.

Commissioned 2360 - 2370, class remains in service

Dimensions Length : 364.77 m1

Beam : 225.61 m1

Height : 52.48 m1

Decks : 12

Mass 622,0001 metric tons

Crew 1901, 500 person evacuation limit.1

Armament 1 x Type IX phaser bank

4 x Type VII phaser arrays, total output 9,000 TeraWatts

21 x Standard photon torpedo tube1 + 50 torpedoes

Defence Systems Standard shield system, total capacity 945,000 TeraJoules

Standard Duranium/Tritanium Single hull.

Standard level Structural Integrity Field

Warp Speeds

(TNG scale) Normal Cruise : 6

Maximum Cruise : 8.4

Maximum Rated : 9.71 for 121 hours.

Strength Indices

(Galaxy class = 1,000) Beam Firepower : 180

Torpedo Firepower : 250

Weapon Range and Accuracy : 200

Shield Strength : 350

Hull Armour : 50

Speed : 1,067

Combat Manoeuvrability : 5,000

Overall Strength Index 303

Diplomatic Capability 4

Expected Hull Life 80

Refit Cycle Minor : 1 year

Standard : 5 years

Major : 20 years

Notes : With the Akira and Steamrunner design projects well under way by by the late 2340's, Starfleet felt that it had cured the problems of fleet wide obsolescence and combat deficiency that had faced it. Starfleet Command now turned its attention to the other arenas. The Akira, Steamrunner and Saber classes had been rather more combat oriented than the average Starfleet design; concentrating on these vessels had left a gap in the more important areas of Science and Diplomacy. In 2353 Starfleet requested a new class of Starship to complement the Akira and Steamrunner classes. This new 'Norway' class was to have a 50% reduction in armament to allow two extra science labs, a set of ambassadorial quarters and a large conference hall complex to be inserted. This would allow the Norway to host multi-party talks and scientific conferences on a significantly larger scale than its counterparts could manage.

Development of the Norway class went relatively smoothly, with the prototype launched in 2360 and series production begun later that year. The ships have a single hull of triangular profile, with the two nacelles supported on struts which project aft. In most respects the design is unexceptional; lagging slightly behind the cutting edge represented by the Akira, Steamrunner and Saber classes, the designers generally chose reliability and low maintenance over performance. The ships have proved very popular in service, largely because of the good accommodation standards. Norway's have served with great distinction throughout the Federation, playing host to countless functions and events.

References

# Series Season Source Comment

1 Star Trek Deep Space Nine Technical Manual, Page 154

Comments

The Norway is a tough on to call - after writing pages for the Akira, Steamrunner and Saber classes, there wasn't much I could think of to say about yet another new design. I settled on saying that where the others where balanced a little more toward combat, the Norway was based more around the diplomacy side of things. Very little of the Norway entry is canon because we know virtually nothing about these ships - that I know of we haven't seen a single Norway class since 'First Contact'. I'm open to suggestions or comments about these ships.

Copyright Graham Kennedy Last updated : 30 Nov 1999

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: There are no Oberth or Miranda class ships. I'm pretty sure that those classes were discontinued waaaaaay before that battle with the Borg.

ditl.org is one of the best Star Trek Info websites on the web...

LOL! I skipped your information and right to the picture.  :blink:  *gags* Aweful design.

I don't know, I kind of like the Norway-class and am sorry to see it getting ignored

Hope to see it in Trek again at some point

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: There are no Oberth or Miranda class ships. I'm pretty sure that those classes were discontinued waaaaaay before that battle with the Borg.

When we see the Defiant fighting the Borg, you can see a Miranda-class ship making an evasive maneuver. Right after Picard gives the order to fire on the cube and we see the Enterprise from behind, just after it fires quantum torpedoes on the cube... you can see an Orbeth-class ship in the top, right-hand corner. It looks to be way off in the distance due to the ship's small size. The Orbeth-class ship is only visible on the widescreen edition of the movie though. If you have the movie on DVD and a DVD-ROM on your PC, you can spot it.

the Norway looks kind of like an inverted steamrunner.....

Guest -*StarfleetMarine*-

Really? Looks like it in a way.

Well you definately see a Galaxy class ship as that's what the Enterprise E is

259687[/snapback]

Sorry Mate...The Big E-E is a Sovereign class starship. The -D was the Galaxy class.

:wacko:

Intrepid

These are really science based ships built for speed and investigation. It's unlikely they would be used in battle, other than in VOY of course, but that's different.

Galaxy

This class was probably not used so the audience wouldn't be confused and think it was the Enterprise D (even though it was destroyed, but some moviegoers can be a little dense).

Nebula, Sabre

These two classes both appear in FC.