Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Can You Be Drafted?

Can people be drafted durring war like the Dominion War seen on DS9 for example? Since Starfleet is a human organization, would they only draft humans? I'm just currious as to how they'd handle this or if they'd consider that "barbaric" or whatever. :laugh:

I don't think so either. Except maybe just for marines. You couldn't pick just anybody to help run a star ship. But if you just needed ground troops maybe, but my guess is the Federation had a ton of people to use without having to draft.

Not all Starfleet personnel go to the Academy - just officers. They do have enlisted personnel like O'Brien and Simon Tarses (The Drumhead) and Worf's adoptive father was enlisted too. I would think drafting would be done only if necessary just like today. With the weaponry of the 24th century they probably don't need as many people to fight.

What about ground troops, soldiers, and security officers?

What about them? Can you be more specific as to what you are asking?

I don’t think so. Unless it was absolutely necessary and even if it were absolutely necessary most people would fight for their homeland without some kind of draft..

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I think that the Federation would have evolved beyond conscription at their point in time. The very issue is always controversial. In WWI and II, Canada's population was split apart by the very issue of conscription. It elevated tensions that have lasted from the country's creation to today.

Starfleet is always voluntary, because they live in an advanced society where money is not used. They join for the good of the Federation. The prospect of conscription must feel foreign to them.

Since Starfleet is a human organization, would they only draft humans?

I don't see Starfleet as a human organization anymore. Yes, it is during the time of Enterprise, but not in the later series. It is an organization that has grown to encompass every planet in the Federation, so I doubt that there would be a problem in finding volunteers.

I'm going to agree with ddillard on this,since the Federation has around 150 planets I'm sure Starfleet has plenty of volunteers so the draft would not be nessasary.