Sign in to follow this  
Q stole my bike

How does it stay in place?

Well, DS9 appears to be just floating in space, and I was wondering what keeps it floating in the same general location? It would be terrible if the space station just started floating around...

Superman, he's underneath holding it up. Course things in Metropoplis have gone to crap since he's been gone. :superman:

Superman, he's underneath holding it up. Course things in Metropoplis have gone to crap since he's been gone. :superman:

Then why do we never see him? He must have his own personal cloaking device.

He's Superman, he's moving so fast you can't see him. Don't start asking for logical answers from me now, smoke will start coming out of my ears. :theforce:

If space is a vacuum what would make the station move.  I guess the other ships docking and leaving?

If I remember correctly from last year's phsyics class, the fact that space is a vacum acctually makes staying in place harder because there's no air resistance. Whenever a force is applied to something, a force of the exact size and opposite direction is exerted back. Here's a scenario: Spaceman Bob is holding a big rock, and he's floating around in space. He throws the rock, then the force that he applied to the rock is applied back to him and he would float indefinately. My physics teacher was better at explaining it...

According To This Starchart Book I Have, It Appears That Bajor, DS9, & The Wormhole Are In Synchronous Orbit Around Bajor's Sun, B'hava'el.

Uh Hmmm, doesn't Bajor have 2 suns??? :theforce:

According To This Starchart Book I Have, It Appears That Bajor, DS9, & The Wormhole Are In Synchronous Orbit Around Bajor's Sun, B'hava'el.

Uh Hmmm, doesn't Bajor have 2 suns??? :theforce:

Maybe they orbit in a figure-8

If space is a vacuum what would make the station move.  I guess the other ships docking and leaving?

If I remember correctly from last year's phsyics class, the fact that space is a vacum acctually makes staying in place harder because there's no air resistance. Whenever a force is applied to something, a force of the exact size and opposite direction is exerted back. Here's a scenario: Spaceman Bob is holding a big rock, and he's floating around in space. He throws the rock, then the force that he applied to the rock is applied back to him and he would float indefinately. My physics teacher was better at explaining it...

How about an oppossing plasma venting system?

That's what I meant by the other ships coming and going - when a docked ship applied thrusters it would push away from the station - if the station wasn't anchored in some way the ship couldn't push off.

Actually, according to the book the physics of Star Trek - tractor beams are technically impossible for this reason.

Here We Are, From The Book

Note:Prior to 2369, Terok Nor was in geosynchronous

orbit around Bajor; the station was moved to a solar

orbit around B'hava'el in 2369 shortly after it was

recommissioned as Deep Space 9.

Deep Space Nine stays in at it's relative point in the same manner that the ISS and MIR kept their altitude. Reaction Control thrusters, governed by an onboard computer, make continuous minor adjustments, allowing the station to stay relativey where it's at. also, as VBG said, it rotates, very slowly, which helps in providing gravity aboard the Station. To correct something VBG said, Inertial Dampeners simply cancel out the forces of excelleration and decelleration.

^ That's the RL approach. In Emissary O'Brien used the station's thrusters to position the station just beyond the entrance to the worm hole. He used the manuvering thrusters again in Q-less when the cosmic creature was released from the alien egg Vash attempted to auction off. My theory is that the station is kept in place due to its magnetic anchor position relative to Bajor and the worm hole along with the constant rotational of the station creating the artifical gravity onboard.

I would say the the thrusters are used as has been said before to keep the station in place. This is something that is most likely handled by the computer unless there is a major shift in which manual input from a crew member would be necessary.

The Station is in orbit of Bajor. If it goes out somehow, the station can use its thrusters to go back into orbit. Of course, none of this can happen without the will of the phrophets