Sign in to follow this  
Sam The Smuggler

I'm Thinking Of Going To College.

I'm Interested In History Courses..Maybe Leading To Becoming A Historian.

Or Maybe Something In Computers.

Gonna Start Out The Community College We Got Here In Town.

That's a good way to save some money and get some basic requirements out of the way. I almost majored in History myself. :flex:

Stay focused on your studies and save money!

If you get an advisor meet with them too b/c they'll help you.

And this works for me, but I read through the material 3 days before the exam, then again the next day, and then the next. That usually makes sure it stays in my brain!

1. Always read your assignment before class. take notes.

2. Engage in meaningful class participation - this will get you noticed - you'll need letters of recommendations from instructors at some point.

3. When you get to upper level - take an internship or spend a semester working for a professor - get experience and make contacts.

4. Get involved in some extra-curricular activity - volunteer or something. If you're interested in history maybe volunteer at a museum.

Your goal isn't just to get a degree but to get a job afterward. I didn't do the latter two as much as I should have - I don't like networking events but it made finding a job harder. This is advice from the voice of experience. :flex:

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

1. Always read your assignment before class.  take notes. 

2. Engage in meaningful class participation - this will get you noticed - you'll need letters of recommendations from instructors at some point.

3. When you get to upper level - take an internship or spend a semester working for a professor - get experience and make contacts.

4. Get involved in some extra-curricular activity - volunteer or something.  If you're interested in history maybe volunteer at a museum.

Your goal isn't just to get a degree but to get a job afterward.  I didn't do the latter two as much as I should have - I don't like networking events but it made finding a job harder.  This is advice from the voice of experience. :flex:

Perhaps I will take this advice too. I despise extracurricular functions but I may have to do them.

Sometimes Resistance IS Futile or it may not be but you end up making something harder for yourself in the end!

Get info on applications as soon as possible so you know the schedule of admissions for your college of choice or you might find yourself waiting for a long time to get in (up to an extra year).

Also, expect to spend a long time in school if you want to become a historian. You'll probably need at the very least a master's degree after you get a B.A. (likey 6 years all in) to get a decent job based in humanities or social sciences.

You should also do some research and find out what happens to people who graduate from programs you're interested in. What are their job details? Do they even get jobs or do their jobs often get outsourced? Where do they end up working? How much money do they make? What are their hours like?

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

go as far as you can, and do something you will enjoy doing, if you like history then become a historian... go for it, just go as far as you can and do something that you will enjoy :flex:

History is a good major, but also get something to back it up as your minor. I'd recommend minoring in Education, and getting your teaching credentials. that way, if you work on an advanced degree, you are qualified to teach. and with a Doctorate in History, as well as teaching Certs, you could find yourself a professor at a big name university.

I want to comment on working and going to school. The biggest problem my current students who work to support themselves in school have, is that they work too many hours to do well in school. For example, I have students doing poorly in class who I find out work full time ( 40 or more hours per week) and then attend school full time.

They can never make my office hours or supplementary problem sesions because they have to work. The problem with working full time is that all assitance ( tutors, faculty office hours) occur in blocks of ime where they work, so they cannot get help even they do not understand what is going on in class. They are also often physically exhausted while in class.

Just plan well if you work. It makes no sense to work all day to pay for a class and then barely pass or flunk the course! Don't go to school full time if you have to work full time....go part-time. See when you instructor's office hours are, or the hours the tutoring center is available, in order to make sure you can get assistance needed when stuck on an assignment. This may not be a problem in history, but you will have general education course which include college algebra even if you are a history major, if you eventually get a degree. Just plan how you will use your time.

Just give youself enough time to study and learn and actually BE a student!

I basically spent the 90's in college, and have two words of advice.

- Time management is important. Use time wisely.

- Don't wait until the last minute to do homework. Do it on the day it is assigned. If the material hasn't been covered, you'll understand the lecture more by the time it is

covered. If it has been covered, you will limit the time during which you can

easily forget it by applying it immediately.

- Don't wait until the last minute to do homework. Do it on the day it is assigned.

lol good advice, it can help in any grade or skool level, just please if i ever complain about the hw pilling up remind me of that.. and kik me lol :theforce:

Stay focused on your studies and save money!

If you get an advisor meet with them too b/c they'll help you.

And this works for me, but I read through the material 3 days before the exam, then again the next day, and then the next.  That usually makes sure it stays in my brain!

I need to remember that during finals!

This is good stuff! The only problem will be remembering it cause I don't go for two more years.

I started at JC and it was a good decision because it saved me money. I highly recommend keeping all of your options open and doing lots of exploring in the first few years to find out exactly what it is you like best. I chose to become a history teacher and I'm getting ready to do my student teaching next fall.

When you get ready to transfer make sure you visit a wide variety of colleges so you can decide which one makes you feel the most comfortable and would work for you. Most of all don't let anyone tell you you can't do something. If you want it bad enough you'll work and study to accomplish it.

Wherever you go, get involved. I joined band and it was the best decision of my college career because I made some of my closest friends through it, got to do some traveling, and it helped to alleviate a lot of stress I was feeling from my academic classes.

Edited by Vulcan IDIC

Go to college in the largest city you can find. Get out of wherever you are and go to the city that is least like it- you will either confirm your suspicions or unlock your desires. Either way, you're better off than you are now.

Being a student myself at the moment, my advice would be to be as organized as you can with your studies.

also remember time for you, you need to be able to relax and enjoy yourself from time to time with friends and family.

i hope you enjoy what you intend to do :wacko:

Finding time for you is a very good idea. Students often times are overworked, and rarely have any time to kick back and relax. this leads to burn out and is a main reason why students drop out by their Junior year. Also, just because the school is a "4 year university" doesn't mean you HAVE to get your degree in 4 years. most schools suggest a 15 credit-hour load, but that can be very tough to handle, so don't be afraid to take a 12 or 10 credit hour semester. maybe you'll graduate a semester late, but it's better than dropping out and not graduating at all.

Edited by Ensign Jim Phaserman