Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Escape Pods - All hands, abandon ship!

Indy and I thought this would make for a good topic, so here goes:

What do you think of the various escape pods seen in STAR TREK? I believe the first time we see them launch out of a ship is in Star Trek: First Contact, which is still my favorite scene where escape pods launch from the ship. Here's another thing to ponder. The escape pods which launch from Defiant and Intrepid-class ships, square hatches open up, allowing them to launch. These square hatches are identical to those on the Galaxy-class and Nebula-class ships. Is it possible that the Intrepid & Defiant-class escape pods could be the same as those on the Galaxy & Nebula-class ships? Check below for some pictures of various escape pods seen in Trek.

Click for Spoiler:

The Saratoga escape pod from "Emissary, Part I".

saratoga-escapepod.jpg

Click for Spoiler:

Intrepid & Defiant-class Escape Pod, first seen in "Year of He**".

defiant-escapepod-oblique.jpg

Click for Spoiler:

The Sovereign-class escape pod as seen in Star Trek: First Contact, launching from the Enterprise-E.

ee-escapepod.jpg

Here are some questions that Indy suggested:

Is there food in there?  How many people fit?  What if you have claustropobia?  How long would you want to stay in one?  Would you be scared to get into one?
Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Here are some questions that Indy suggested:

Is there food in there?  How many people fit?  What if you have claustropobia?  How long would you want to stay in one?  Would you be scared to get into one?

I'm sure they'd have some food, I mean, you never know how far you'd be from a starbase when you had to use one. They look pretty cramped, so I bet only a few people fit, maybe 5 or 6? Not sure about it. It would be bad if you have claustrophobia, I guess you'd need the other people in the pod for emotional support. Personally I wouldn't want to be in one for any amount of time, and yes, I would be pretty scared :laugh:

And we sort of saw the inside of a Saratoga pod in The Emisssary, it had a window, was that really an escape pod or something else? Were any pods ever shown in VOY? :o

Yes, AE's right, we get to see the complete interrior of one of Saratoga's two escape pods. Voyager's escape pods can be seen in "Year of He**, Part I", "Inside Man", and "Workforce, Part I". We never got to see the inside of them though.

You could kind of see the ENT-E escape pod in First Contact...

Could you show me some pics???

Go back to the first post to see pictures.

I mean pics of the inside of escape pods. And how large are they exactly. Do they have restrooms???

Another name for Escape pods used is "Lifeboats", which is undoubtably taken from the name used for rafts, row boats, and motor launches used for the same purpose aboard seagoing vessels. I would assume, and it's fiarly safe to do so, that each Lifeboat is NOT a one man vessel. if you actually want to count the number of lifeboats on a Galaxy class starship, there are between 150 and 250, which suggests each lifeboat has room for five to eight people. this probably isn't a very comfortable fit, but I'd bet a months salary it beats sticking around on the bridge during a warp core breach.

Could you show me some pics???

Go back to the first post to see pictures.

I mean pics of the inside of escape pods. And how large are they exactly. Do they have restrooms???

We've never seen the inside of Starfleet ship escape pod, except for one, which was the Saratoga escape pod from "Emissary, Part I". I'll do a quick search on google... Sorry, I looked, but I couldn't find any pics.

I think i read somewhere that the saratoga type lifeboats could hold as many as 12 per boat, and that they could be used as auxiliary shuttlecraft if necessary. They are also said to be held in the shuttlebays of miranda class vessels, so a secondary use as shuttlecraft is very likely. And no, the size of the intrepid and defiant escape pods are such that they only hold 3 people at most, compared to the 6 or so for galaxy class escape pods.

Saratoga LOOKS better but the Intrepid looks like it might be roomier, I go with comfort more than looks anyway :roflmao:

What I wondered about in First Contact was how did the get the escape pods back in time to not be detected and noticed by the Vulcans. Did the pods never actually land on earth. Did they have the capacity to relaunch? Maybe this is off-topic, but i wondered about that in First Contact.

I thought it was cool to actually watch the pods launch from Enterprise. I would have liked to see a picture of Enterprise after those launches.

Another name for Escape pods used is "Lifeboats", which is undoubtably taken from the name used for rafts, row boats, and motor launches used for the same purpose aboard seagoing vessels.

True, but they're in space, not at sea, so I don't think they'd call them lifeboats any more then they'd call a shuttlecraft a boat. :lol: I could see them "referred" to as lifeboats unofficially, but I only remember them being called escape pods. :laugh:

I would assume, and it's fiarly safe to do so, that each Lifeboat is NOT a one man vessel.

Agreed, most escape pods usually hold 3-5 people, one would assume anyway.

if you actually want to count the number of lifeboats on a Galaxy class starship, there are between 150 and 250, which suggests each lifeboat has room for five to eight people.

Hang on, I'll go count... A Galaxy-class starship has 432 escape pods. :roflmao: Now, let's multiply that by 3 - that gives us 1,296. One could conclude that each escape pod holds 3 people. Let's count Voyager's escape pods, multily that by 3, and see if we get a number a little larger than the crew number. Voyager has 42 escape pods. Multiply that by 3, and you get 126. That seems low for an Intrepid-class ship's crew compliment of 150. Let's try multiplying by 4 - we get 168, that sounds much better. Conclussion: Galaxy-class escape pods hold 3-4 people while Intrepid-class escape pods hold 3 people. :rofl:

this probably isn't a very comfortable fit, but I'd bet a months salary it beats sticking around on the bridge during a warp core breach.

Indeed. :rofl: Knowing me, I'd be running to the shuttlebay instead of an escape pod. :eekout:

Another name for Escape pods used is "Lifeboats", which is undoubtably taken from the name used for rafts, row boats, and motor launches used for the same purpose aboard seagoing vessels. I would assume, and it's fiarly safe to do so, that each Lifeboat is NOT a one man vessel. if you actually want to count the number of lifeboats on a Galaxy class starship, there are between 150 and 250, which suggests each lifeboat has room for five to eight people. this probably isn't a very comfortable fit, but I'd bet a months salary it beats sticking around on the bridge during a warp core breach.

If you where right I would not want your month's salary. It is like take candy from a baby.