Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Lost in Space v TOS

Lost in Space was TOS’s competitor in the 60s however looking at it now it looks so much more outdated and very much a product of it’s time, while Trek is still relevant to our lives today and beyond. How do you feel these two shows compare?

crew.jpglost.jpg

I have never really been able to get interested in Lost in Space for some reason. I've been sitting here trying to figure out why Star Trek captured my imagination so much and not Lost in Space..I still don't have an answer except to say that the show just seemed silly and ridiculous to me..And Star Trek didn't..Weren't they made at about the same time? Why does Lost in Space seem so much older and out of date to me? Perhaps it was the Dr. Smith character (Oh the pain!)..Or the Robot (Danger Will Robinson!)..It just never appealed to me...

Lost in Space has never really appealed to me. I wasn't born until 1977 and I hooked on Star Trek in late 80s when I was in elementary and Jr. High. I think that Star Trek is something that most poeple can relate to and the storylines never get old. I always learn things from watching it. :laugh:

I think LIS was a completely different type of show than TOS. I do think TOS is more socially relevent and watchable right now. Even though I liked LOS as a child It's just too campy for me now. The SF channel permanently turned me againt it by showing it everyday 2 to 3 times a day for several years. I like the LOS movie a bit more though.

Edited by Admiral Kirk

I enjoyed and faithfully watched Lost in Space when it originally aired. I was a faithful fan, but of course Star Trek was better.

I was born in 1971 so I watched both of these show's in re-runs...lost in space was Milk and cookies...Just have a good time/ Star Trek was "think about this" and the way of the world.....Hand's down there's no comparison..Trek ruled...but Lost In Space was fun.

Trek was a lot better. Lost in space was kind of weird for some reason. Maybe because of the black and white thing.... Or was it just my imagination??? Lost in Space didn't have a goal like to go where no man has gone before....

Anyways TOS was better....

Let's just say that I watched Lost in Space when I was a child. It was O.K. then until I discovered the re-runs of Star Trek: The Original Series. The quality of TOS was better than Lost in Space. When the SciFi channel showed the re-runs of Lost in Space a few years later, I could no longer watch this show because it was stale and outdated. The problem with Lost in Space was that it lost its appeal. The SciFi channel ran this show into the ground. They aired Lost in Space at a certain time of the morning everyday for about three years straight. Even when they put other shows on in that time slot, they never took this show off the air. Many viewers must have complained about SciFi channel's programming so the show was finally put to rest. Star Trek : The Original Series was more of a mainstream show. It showcased instruments that would pave the way for our smaller instramemts of today.

One example is the Star Trek Communicator; Today the Cellphone

:rofl: :( :) :( :) :cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::rofl:

Guest Guest

I watched Lost In Space And TOS when they were repeated as I was born 76.

I loved Star Trek immediately but just could never get into Lost In Space I tried to like it but just didn't like the characters or anything about it.

I don't know how to describe Star Trek I think it was just in a different league. It was exciting, had great characters, stories and aliens I could never wait for the next episode to come on. Star Trek was just the best and in my opinion there was no competition. :(

:) I was born In 1962,A Trek child,I like LIS butTOS Rocks!Lost in space is a Failure compared to VOYAGER,Finally came back home Safely.. :cheese:

:( Raja62@ Cosmic Cat Over and Out =^=

ive always watched them on reruns (im watchin TOS rite now) and when you think about it, TOS deals with hate, love, human nature, why we do this, why we explore the show wasnt just about going farther and farther into space and exploring, well maybe only on the outside. In the inside TOS was about exploring ourselves, and society, LIS is just fluff... i saw it a few times and coundnt stand it, and the reason was because TOS had meaning, it was more than a plot, it was an idea, a theology, that can never be taken away, it is a hope for a bright future LIS is just a show about people camping, only on an alien planet, it had less substance than a cheap TOS engery being lol

Well i have seen them both and IMO TOS leaves lost in space well how should i put this lost in space... :)

Trek was a lot better. Lost in space was kind of weird for some reason. Maybe because of the black and white thing.... Or was it just my imagination??? Lost in Space didn't have a goal like to go where no man has gone before....

Anyways TOS was better....

Wasn't their goal to get to Alpha Centauri, making plans of colonization since Earth was overpopulated in 1993 (the future...)?lastresort.jpg42.gif

The Adventures of STF.net

Click for Spoiler:

dorlis1.jpg

I like both Lost in Space and Star Trek....

I know it does seem to be meant for younger audiences, but I still like Lost in Space and is very angry at SciFi for pulling it off the air..... <_<

Including all other Irwin Allen-produced TV series, such as: The Time Tunnel, The Land of the Giants, and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.....

Click for Spoiler:

dorvoy1.jpg

All of which, had been among some of my favorite TV shows....

Click for Spoiler:

dor01.jpg

lastresort.jpg42.gif

The Adventures of STF.net

Edited by drwho42

Guest Lost in Space vs. Star Trek: TOS

I'm sorry, but I've only ever seen one episode of the original television series called 'Lost in Space' so I probably shouldn't comment. I did see the movie adaptation when I was about fifteen, I went with my Dad and siblings. The film had some visually impressive effects and some big name actors like Gary Oldman but the story lacked and I'm obviously not the only one who thought so because despite it's clfif hanger ending it never got picked up to be made into a sequel or new T.V series:-

lost.jpg

I love Star Trek and this year I renewed my interest by writing a fan-fiction. Since I can't compare the television series I'll compare the films. But then I realise there are far more 'TOS' than 'LIS' movies. My favourite TOS movie is 'The Undiscovered Country' and that was made in 1991, and still beats the 'LIS' movie hands down in my opinion.

mptv1.gif

LOST IN SPACE was excellent!

Dr. Smith was a villian that was delicious to watch. It's hard for me to look back and say anything negative about that show.

Irvin Allen the man that put out Lost In Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Time Tunnel and Land of the Giants. Of all of them Lost in Space was always my favorite by far.

The 1st season 2 parter 'The Keeper' with the star from 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' was excellent. No doubt about it.

I've always loved TOS. Hey, last week on remastered was the 3rd season episode 'The Way to Eden' and I sat there and actually watched it! Now there's a fan! Herbert! Herbert! Herbert! Herbert! Yep, it still sucked even remastered.

Lost In Space was a great idea that got screwed up in execution. I have the original pilot on tape. That show is vastly different than what came later on TV. The pilot didn't have Dr. Smith in it. It was a very serious story about the Robinsons struggling to survive on a inhospitable planet. The first 6 episodes or so were great. After that, the silliness took over and that ruined the show, imo.

Well Lost in Space was good and I agree with DaboGirl about Dr Smith, he was a perfect villain. Plus it was good for scary Robot stuff lol but I guess I'd have to say I like TOS better

From me it's like saying which one of your children do you love more?

You love them the same for different reasons.

Lost in Space never had the thought provoking stories like TOS it was more escapism, but good stuff as well.

Another child of 1962 . . . when Kennedy was telling the Soviets to get their missiles out of Cuba.

I watched some LIS . . . it was silly and Doctor Smith had a yellow streak up his back a mile wide but was always out for his self . . . the aliens were childish?

The beauty of TOS was you could feel that it could be that way with things that could actually be developed to work. To question ourselves and what is out there . . . not just as entertainment.

Lost In Space is an Average Family Show/Movie,But The trek Original Series is the finest.

I like the color of the show Captain Kirk & crew fights alien Forces,the food they eat its so

delicious,the wonderfu weapons,the cute cuddly tribbles and so forth!

TREK CONTINUUM FOREVER!LIVE LONG & PROSPER!