Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Star Trek Cell Phone

I bet the title really grabbed your attention !! No, I didn't buy a Star Trek Cell Phone and am sharing a pic of it..I wish! I'm probably one of the few people that you know that doesn't have a cell phone.. I see people talking on them all the time..They are neat..But truthfully I am holding out for a Trekish style cell phone.. :drool: Why hasn't someone put one out yet? Do you realize how much of a big time seller it would be..A cell phone that looks like a TOS communicator would be awesome.Might as well throw in some cool Trek sound effects too!.

What do you think? Will they ever make such a phone ? Or am I just having wierd Trek thoughts tonight?

On a lot of the phones now you can download ST sounds and music from the intenet to your phone for different functions. Screensavers too. Right now my cell phone is Star Wars themed, but I may switch it to ST for a while. Though I really love my Storm Trooper ringer. :P

I have a Nokia it has a Captain Picard cover and has all the series ring tones, at the moment when my family ring me Voyager plays and DS9 when my friends ring. I think a communicator design would sell really well. :P

But they do look like communicators already. Nobody would ever copy that design because you speak into where the earpiece would be and everyone around you could hear the rest of the conversation. Obviously cell phones are to some extent based on the design and the flip-out types have been around for years and years. Compare the communicator below to the Motorola Startac - this is the one I had about 6 years ago (or one in the same series - it's too old to remember):

Communicator

Motorola Startac

Even the name was obviously based on Trek.

The only way to make it look exactly like a communicator would be to get rid of the keypad and screen. A communicator would have even less functions than a regular cell phone of today which can be used normally, to send text messages, access the internet, take pictures, record video, take voice memos, play games, schedule, etc., etc. Plus they look way cooler than the communicator ever did.

Thanks Red Shirt..You're right, it is a similar design..If I were ever to get a cell phone it would be something like that one..I just wanted to see how close we are getting to the communicator design..I have seen similar ones myself..

The look of the flip cell phones are already cool, however it is the dumb musical ringing thats annoying, like the other day at the DMV., 20 people have these chiming or musical greeting card sounds ringing every ten minutes, the lines are bad enough :laugh:

I wish instead I can download a voice alert from TNG. like : "Capt., you have a incoming message from Starfleet" or something like that :laugh:

I have a cell phone already, and I want it to look as much ST as possible. Right now it does have some ST background images and ST tones + an ST welcoming text, but that's it. I want more ST to it.

PS.: The ST weloming text says: Resistance is futile. Welcome 3 of 7.

The background image I have now, is of a Borg Cube in the UFP logo.

And the tone it plays then someone calls, is Borg Battle from First Contact. :borgqueen:

:laugh:

Edited by 3 of 7

Thanks Red Shirt..You're right, it is a similar design..If I were ever to get a cell phone it would be something like that one..I just wanted to see how close we are getting to the communicator design..I have seen similar ones myself..

Hi Spacetigger,

Sorry, I just realised upon rereading it that my last post probably didn't come across as very friendly. It's just that when I went out to get my Startac, I'd chosen it because of the communicator similarity. I even flipped it open Kirk style and said "Kirk here!" when drunk a few times. Your post reminded me of those days.

Cheers,

RSV

Hi Spacetigger,

Sorry, I just realised upon rereading it that my last post probably didn't come across as very friendly. It's just that when I went out to get my Startac, I'd chosen it because of the communicator similarity. I even flipped it open Kirk style and said "Kirk here!" when drunk a few times. Your post reminded me of those days.

Cheers,

RSV

Not at all Red Shirt..There was nothing wrong with your post..In fact I'm glad you posted those links so I could check it out..I still feel that the design is similar and is probably as close as we'll get to the original communictor.

i want a cellphone! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :laugh: :laugh:

by the way, i dont think this communicatormr1lg.jpg and this motorola_startac_st7868w.jpg look particularly the same. am i missing something or what?

Edited by LordOfTheBorg

We're not saying that they look identical LOTB, but they do have the same basic shape. And the biggest part that is the same is that flip-up upper part..It may be the closest that we come to the TOS communicator..

I forget what company it is, but they've built a communicator like the one from TNG on. It's for use in hospitals to communicate between nurses and doctors, it even works by tapping it.

My cellular phone doubles as a tricorder. It also has the TNG theme as a ring tone.

Yes, I know this is an old topic by now, but that's what makes this cool. I've been noticing the bluetooth wireless headsets they have for phones now, and I was thinking that it may be possible to "borrow" their components to make a working com-badge. Especially if your phone has voice-recognition capabilities. Do they still make phones with voice recognition? I know they had it for a while, but I stopped hearing about it. Oh well, It'd be cool anyways. I'd make it myself, but then I'd have to own a cellphone.

Yes, I know this is an old topic by now, but that's what makes this cool. I've been noticing the bluetooth wireless headsets they have for phones now, and I was thinking that it may be possible to "borrow" their components to make a working com-badge. Especially if your phone has voice-recognition capabilities. Do they still make phones with voice recognition? I know they had it for a while, but I stopped hearing about it. Oh well, It'd be cool anyways. I'd make it myself, but then I'd have to own a cellphone.

I think it's possible. I'm surprised that some company hasn't come up with that yet.

Me 3

But they do look like communicators already. Nobody would ever copy that design because you speak into where the earpiece would be and everyone around you could hear the rest of the conversation. Obviously cell phones are to some extent based on the design and the flip-out types have been around for years and years. Compare the communicator below to the Motorola Startac - this is the one I had about 6 years ago (or one in the same series - it's too old to remember):

Communicator

Motorola Startac

Even the name was obviously based on Trek.

The only way to make it look exactly like a communicator would be to get rid of the keypad and screen. A communicator would have even less functions than a regular cell phone of today which can be used normally, to send text messages, access the internet, take pictures, record video, take voice memos, play games, schedule, etc., etc. Plus they look way cooler than the communicator ever did.

By thwe way, this old flip phone is in the same product line as the RAZR and KRZR. They're all a continuation of each other, according to Motorola. I think it's supposed to be (by far) the longest-running cell phone product line.

a lot of the flip phones look similar to the communicator I actually had a black flip phone that I used to be able to flip open like they do on TOS.

Also earlier in this thread someone mentioned they wanted a TBG message like a incoming message. For my text messages I have worf saying Captain incoming message which i downloaded from Limewire. for my ring tone I have a custom made ringtone featuring the voices of most of the cast over the tng film

If you think about it a Bluetooth headpiece looks like some kind of :whistling: Borg implant.

If you think about it a Bluetooth headpiece looks like some kind of :RC: Borg implant.

I know! It's really creepy if you've ever watched certain episodes of Dr. Who! (don't want to spoil it by saying which episodes)