Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

A new-cast "Star Trek" movie - good or bad?

Star Trek movies 1-6 featured the original cast while 7-10 have featured THE NEXT GENERATION cast. I think that the next movie should feature DS9, VOY, a TNG/DS9/VOY mix, or ENT. Any of these options would make for an awesome movie, in my opinion. I just hope they don't wait too long before doing the next one as the actors aren't getting any younger.

Tonight, Syperphobia and I were discussing, on AIM, wether or not #11 should be based on one of the shows, or use a mixed crew, or feature and all new crew on an all new ship with an all new mission. Personally, I would love to see a new-cast movie if we had gone a while without a TV show and didn't have a "recent" show to based the movie on. However, I feel that Trek's primary weakness is that it's spread too thin. Why were the TOS movies such a big success? We only had TOS to think of when 1-4 came out and TOS & TNG when 5&6 came out. When #7 came out, we had TOS, TNG, and the new show - DS9. Trek was moving to new heights! :laugh: When the 8th movie came out, we had TOS, TNG, and then DS9 & VOY airing new episodes. Trek was at it's greatest height! :laugh: However, when #9 came out, we had the DS9 vs. VOY fan division, some TNG fans who didn't like either DS9 nor VOY, some VOY fans who went to see the TNG movies, some DS9 fans who thought VOY was crap and that #9 should be dark, and so forth. By the time we have ENT & #10, the franchise is spread out in SO many directions that it's divided the fanbase to a point where they're loosing interrest. I believe that the only way to save the franchise is to go back to one unified direction like we had when it was "one" show at a time and the movies were based on "the latest ended show".

How do we accomplish this goal? I think the best way to do this would be to stick with what's established and stop trying to introduce something new. Try taking a risk on a DS9 or VOY movie. Try selecting TNG, DS9, & VOY characters and assemble them into a new crew on a recognisable ship. Another idea would be to skip DS9 & VOY, since both shows got an ending, and do a mid-series ENT movie.

So, what do you think they should do for #11? Should they introduce a new crew, ship, and arc or should they stick with what's established even if that means doing some kind of mixed-cast film?

Here's what I'd like to see in order of favorite to least favorite:

Voyager

Deep Space Nine

TNG/DS9/VOY mix

Enterprise

ive got an idea it just hit me maybe one with Riker on the Titan and then maybe have a Voy crewmember or two the main problem i have with a DS9 movie is the fact that Sisko is gone.. they could bring him back but it would be hard to pull off well..

Guest Guest

I want the cast of Voyager cause I hated DS9 and couldn't get in to it until too late.

So now we have that sorted the story woud be admiral janeway is needed to to delegate some peace talks whilst this is happening the crew is allowed on shore leave whilst down there two get kidnapped at the same time another couple of crew members find a plot that is set to destroy the peace talks perhaps by blowing some religious place up.

Anything so long as chakotay is involved. Me likes my men like I likes my wine. Matured.

I assume this means you would not want to see a new-cast movie? Also, I'd be all for a VOY movie as stated in my original post. For your idea to work, I think we'd need an intense pollitical setting and a space battle thrown in some where. It'd be a welcome change to the TNG movies. Nice idea! :roflmao:

The rebels in the story btw (the ones wanting to blow something imoportant up) are being helped by the cardassians who following the empire falling have turned arms merchants. Voyager also battles the cardassians because of it.

That was me btw ^^^^

Edited by Unadopted Angelic

The combination of the three would open a lot of possibilities for Star Trek.

yea but youd have to be careful to only add a crewman or two from each series or it wood just look like those cheasy clip shows that r just like a recap of the season (dont we all hate those?)

I would love to see a new cast movie somthing like the new frontier books. I do beleve their is an audience for somthing with new frontier as all the books were best sellers but I have to agree that we do have a lot of trek out there and the fans are to seperated. So maybe somthing new thats only on the movie screen that was never on the tv screen might make money. IMHO