Sign in to follow this  
jeanlucPicard00

Rick Berman

Why is everybody so down on Rick Berman, give the guy a break!!! On set he is rather rude but maybe he has to be...

If he didnt do his job, who really would? Do any of you think there is another more qualified, available who would do a better job of keeping the writters to stay in the characterasations , with in the story and time line, and history of Trek. Who better to coordinate it all? IDIC with all those restrictions? Restrictions restrictions but keep it fresh too? You know how hard that all is? Like Paramount has writers that only live breathe and eat Trek like we do. He is the top dog & the first one held accountable, but really what would you complainers all suggest?

Give me a discussion here? :lol:

That’s just one example I gave that could be talked about on Trek News

For myself I think someone else should take his place. If you read what he says it does not seem that he has the best interest for ST in mind. I don’t really have anything against him. But right now I think we need someone new. ST does have a lot of history and right now I don't think ENT is holding up that time line. Right now I don't really care for the show that much (but it seems to be getting more enjoyable)

Here some things that he said . . .

This man has said that ST is on the border of “silly” and real.

Star Trek is something that always borders on the silly

(He said this in Jan)

He continues . . .

You've got actors walking around in prosthetic masks. . . . . . . You've got a lot of things that are accepted, but that are almost scientifically ridiculous.

Here’s what he said about the new movie:

Star Trek Nemesis executive producer Rick Berman told SCI FI Wire that several factors likely contributed to the film's lackluster box-office performance, and he added that the future of the film franchise remains uncertain. "There's no way of telling what happened," Berman said in an interview. "I'm convinced that we made a very good movie, and I'm also convinced that the movie was promoted properly."

Berman added, "I thought the trailers and the television spots were all excellent. It's easy to blame that sort of thing, but I don't think we can in this situation. I think that the competition of other films may have played some part in it, but I can't be certain of that, either. It's very, very hard to tell."

Berman sounded disappointed. "Obviously, you want a film to do well," he said. "You work for a long time, and you work for a long time, and if it doesn't do well, it's not fun."

Berman went on to say that he's not sure what the future will hold for the Trek film franchise. "There's a theory that there was too much time [between Insurrection and Nemesis]," he said. "There's another theory that there wasn't too much time. I, along with the people at Paramount, need a few months of perspective and thinking about it to then decide what's the best thing to do next. I don't think this is like falling off a horse, and you want to jump right back on it. But we'll see."

From this it does not seem like he sees the big picture.

Someone from another board said this and I’ll quote him here:

Berman has indeed done some good things for Trek...in the distant past. He was mostly responsible for making TNG such a good and successful show from its third season onward, as Gene Roddenberry stepped further and further back because of his health. He also launched both Voyager, my personal favorite series, and Enterprise, which despite how awful it's become still has the potential to be the boldest and best Trek series yet made if it only had competent writers. And he masterminded all of the Trek movies in the 90s, including my two favorites, Undiscovered Country and First Contact. So yes, there is a positive side to Rick Berman's legacy, and for that he needs to be respected (I for one once defended Berman vigorously on the St.com boards, before Enterprise turned sour and before I started watching Deep Space 9). But whatever positive contributions he once had ended years ago, and Brannon Braga has actually had--until Enterprise's second season--much better, more creative ideas than him. Berman is not helping Star Trek now, he is only hindering it, making not only Enterprise but also the movie franchise (just look at what he allowed Baird to do to Nemesis) not as good as it could be. When he leaves and Braga is placed in command of the franchise, there will be a much greater opportunity for things to get better than there is now. But as I said, Braga seems to have run out of ideas too, so we may only see progress after the two of them are gone and someone else who is really dedicated to the franchise takes command.

Berman, by the way, has made it very clear that he is not a fan of Star Trek. He is doing this basically because Gene Roddenberry asked him to, and he models the show after what he thinks (he thinks) GR would have wanted. If he were to remake Trek in his own image, apparently it would be much different. Perhaps it would be a lot like Enterprise is today--boring, nonsensical, cheap, cowardly, and stupid. But no, Berman is not a Trekkie, and his obvious indifference toward the franchise is becoming more and more evident with every bad episode of Enterprise that is made. I'm not even going to bother watching "Canamar" or "The Crossing," because from the spoilers alone I already know that they are both cliche-driven action episodes that don't stand up to the real Trek of the past, even that which Berman himself wrote back when he was a good producer. He does have to realize--hopefully soon--that in order to continue preserving Roddenberry's legacy he needs to step back the same way Roddenberry did and pass the torch on to someone who cares--or at least to Brannon Braga. Braga then hopefully will hire someone with a bit more devotion and imagination, and allow him or her to take the franchise to new heights. Then when Braga eventually gets bored and moves on, Star Trek will experience a rennaissance. Until that time however, we may not be able to do anything but sit back and wait. Berman is going to be here for at least another 3 years, so we're all going to have to bite the bullet, so to speak. May God give us all the strength to do so.

I don’t agree with everything he says there, but he is correct on a lot of the issue.

I think we need a fresh person that is a ST fan and has ST in there best interest and it does not seem like Berman does. (IMHO)

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Why is everybody so down on Rick Berman, give the guy a break!!!  On set he is rather rude but maybe he has to be...

If he didnt do his job, who really would?  Do any of you think there is another more qualified, available who would do a better job of keeping the writters to stay in the characterasations , with in the story and time line,  and history of Trek.  Who better to coordinate it all?  IDIC with all those restrictions?  Restrictions restrictions but keep it fresh too?  You know how hard that all is?  Like Paramount has writers that only live breathe and eat Trek like we do.  He is the top dog & the first one held accountable, but really what would you complainers all suggest?

Give me a discussion here? :)

I would suggest letting Spot the cat take over. He would do a better job. :bow:

I think Micheal Piller should take over. He was in charge of the TNG writing staff during it's best years and also worked with Rick Berman to create both DS9 and Voyager. After Gene died Berman and Piller were a team running Star Trek and I thought that they were doing just fine. It wasn't until Piller left that I think it started to drift down hill. All of the interviews I've read and seen with him he seemed really down to earth and like he understood where Rodenberry was coming from. Philler should have stayed, Berman should have left... In this mans opinion..

Totally agree with Tanks comments regarding Piller, and his work on the dead zone is fab too, brilliant sci-fi series, imo.

Sign in to follow this