Sign in to follow this  
digifan

Redefining Enterprise

Thus far the buzz around the Internet grapevine said Enterprise might get axe if its ratings doesn't start improving.

So here are some ideas to save this dismal effort to keep Star Trek on TV. What if B&B were cast out? Would it make a difference? Could the brass at Paramount save face by redefining Enterprise with Captain Robert April? Are you willing to start watching if this reset is implimented? Ponder.gif Something to ponder, no?

I personally like Enterprise the way it is. However, I can't speak for anyone else but I thought I'd just express my feelings.

Click for Spoiler:

Enterprise is great!

Could you explain your Robert April idea a bit more? Cause it doesn't make sense to me to put Captain April in the NX-01 since he captained the 1701 in 2245. Wouldn't that totally mess up the timeline?

Are you willing to start watching if this reset is implimented?

I don't need to start watching because I already am watching. I think B&B have done a pretty good job overall and I expect Enterprise to keep improving as it has this season. I fully expect Enterprise to run it's full 7 seasons and then perhaps we'll see a change in management for the next series, movie, or whatever it happens to be.

Redefining Enterprise: I got some time on my hands so here goes: sorry,

(1) run B&B out on a rail.

(2) the April idea doesn't work...it's to soon in history for him..he's the 1st captain of ncc-1701 enterprise....and Archer's established as Captain....if the writers would stop with the quantum leap stuff...I could get lost in the fantasy of him as Archer and not Sam Beckett. The temporal cold war and all that stuff could have been avoided by better writing. I'd like to see the "look" of the show begin to move toward a feel like TOS so it will complete/complement the Star Trek Chronology/Canon......at some point I would like to see Archer given orders back at starfleet command and a scene where he addresses the crew and makes a speech which would include briefing the crew about their new 5 year mission..."to seek out new life...new civilizations...to boldly go" Kirk may have been quoting the famous Archer and never mentioned it! Archer could be killed off later in the Series and Starfleet command could make "exploration" the standard mission for all Enterprise ships that follow in memory of Archer's service...it's that kind of tie-in that I believe this series should make.

Captain April can't be on ENT, he's the unseen first captain of Kirk's Enterprise, not the NX-01. I would like to see B&B remain in charge of the TV series and have stand-alone episodes that build arcs, like SG-1, and move into the Romulan war for seasons 5-7. Instead of all out war, like DS9, I'd rather see a strategic war between a 5 or so Starfleet ships and a very small Romulan fleet. :laugh:

Could you explain your Robert April idea a bit more? Cause it doesn't make sense to me to put Captain April in the NX-01 since he captained the 1701 in 2245. Wouldn't that totally mess up the timeline?

Excellent points, Indy! I didn't know when April had the NCC-1701, nice info! :)

Are you willing to start watching if this reset is implimented?

I don't need to start watching because I already am watching. I think B&B have done a pretty good job overall and I expect Enterprise to keep improving as it has this season. I fully expect Enterprise to run it's full 7 seasons and then perhaps we'll see a change in management for the next series, movie, or whatever it happens to be.

I couldn't agree more! B) I'd love to see ENT run a full seven seasons and think it would be "retarted" to reset the show. :)

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

at some point I would like to see Archer given orders back at starfleet command and a scene where he addresses the crew and makes a speech which would include briefing the crew about their new 5 year mission..."to seek out new life...new civilizations...to boldly go" 

This is an interesting idea, and I like it. But I'm wondering if it happened this way, would Archer say "where no man has gone before" or "where no one has gone before."

Archer could be killed off later in the Series and Starfleet command could make "exploration" the standard mission for all Enterprise ships that follow in memory of Archer's service...

I don't like this idea so much. I wouldn't want to see Archer killed off. They could still dedicate future missions to him, based on his substantial contributions both in exploration and the Xindi conflict.

at some point I would like to see Archer given orders back at starfleet command and a scene where he addresses the crew and makes a speech which would include briefing the crew about their new 5 year mission..."to seek out new life...new civilizations...to boldly go" 

This is an interesting idea, and I like it. But I'm wondering if it happened this way, would Archer say "where no man has gone before" or "where no one has gone before."

Either way, I agree that it's a good idea. I think this would be an excellent note to end the series on, whenever that happens.

Thus far the buzz around the Internet grapevine said Enterprise might get axe if its ratings doesn't start improving. 

So here are some ideas to save this dismal effort to keep Star Trek on TV. What if B&B were cast out?  Would it make a difference? Could the brass at Paramount save face by redefining Enterprise with Captain Robert April? Are you willing to start watching if this reset is implimented? Ponder.gif Something to ponder, no?

NO.

All the "fixing" is hurting ENT more, I want it to be left alone and simply allowed to go in it's own direction and achieve the goals it was born to do. B&B have created 70% of ALL Trek so they know what their doing and I want to see them finish it.

Look, few fans like ALL Trek, they have a favorite and that's fine with me. But, what if I disagreed with your favorite Trek and when it was being made I ran around calling for the heads of B&B and wishing it be changed to suit my tastes, how would you have felt about that? Now you know how I feel. Please leave ENT be.

Guest Mike_Hines01

Well said Alterego. Enterprise should be left alone and allowed to run its own course.

I agree 100% with AE. I will admit that I was never the biggest fan of DS9 and Voyager, but never would I have ever suggested that they be cancelled and I respected that there were others who found these shows more to their tastes.

For me Enterprise is the best show since The Next Generation and the closest to the original series, which is my all time favourite. Long may it live.

Well said Alterego....I love Enterprise the way it is......I never was a fan of DS9

but I never bashed it.....I forced myself to watch after TNG went off the air and

grew on me a bit, but will never be a fav....but I can see it has a loyal following

and I respect that..... :laugh:

I have to admit that I do not understand why there is a whole organized group of purported Star Trek fans that want destroy the only Star Trek there is for those with no cable, and no reruns.

When I was looking for a Star Trek website, having been disillusioned with startrek.com, the first place I landed was an anti-Enterprise site. I didn't stay. It was so very negative.

I would like to see better character development with some characters. But I think there are some interesting things going on ( and yes...even some things I absolutely do not like!) and I want to see what happens! I want to see how the Enterprise succeeds in its XINDI mission. I want to see the Federation form, and the Vulcans and Andorians begin to cooperate. We could see a lot of this if the series survives.

Edited by mjham

I genuinely fear ENT will be cancelled. I don't know about "fans" wanting to cancel it but I think the bean counters at UPN do. I don't think changing captains will help since I was one of those who nearly stopped watching but only kept watching because I like Scott Bakula. I'm glad I stuck with it but I understand some of the concerns.

The truth is - if people aren't watching - there is a problem.

1. UPN isn't available in all locations - so not everyone can watch it while ratings are being tabulated.

2. UPN does nothing to promote the show or try to draw viewers.

3. Some people, fans of other Trek shows were turned off by the early episodes and never came back. Advertising could bring some of them back.

4. The thing is some of the things that bothered me at first cleared up in the first few episodes, it bothered me that the Enterprise had inferior weapons - people don't like to watch their team (Star Fleet in this case) lose. I was very happy when those photon torpedoes went online. And I like Archer a lot better this season than I did before - although he's still hard to read sometimes.

The reason fixing hasn't worked is they fixed the things that weren't broken. I like ENT but would enjoy it more if there was a little better character and relationship development.

There is a very old saying that you can please some of the people some of the the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time. Star Trek is a wide universe encompassing 5 series, 10 major motion pictures and about 34 years of history. Some people have loved each and every incarnation while others have hated a particular format. Yet I agree that never have I heard so many Trek fans wishing a Trek show off the air. Personally Voyager was my least favorite of all the shows. They made Captain Janeway too wishy-washy, the first season ran like Gigillian's Island with each episode being devoted to finding a new way to get home only to have it torn out from under them at the last minute. And when the ratings continued to drop they choose to introduce a woman with big boobs and put her in a skin tight outfit to attract more viewers rather than deal with the actual problem of bad writing, character development, and lack of continuity. Yet despite all these problems I never once thought Voyager should be yanked from the air.

I grew up on TOS. When I heard that TNG was coming down the road I like many people I knew thought that the show would never last. No Kirk or Spock. No Scotty nursing the engines back to health. And they were going to put a kid on the bridge. Now I never grew to like Wesley, but I was sure wrong about the show. I love TNG. But let's take a moment to remember that TNG and indeed all of the Trek incarnations are not perfect. "Spock's Brain" flashes into mind, most of TNG up until the end of Season 2 for me was largely crap. Stilted acting, bad uniforms, dust buster phasers, Riker walking around looking like he had a stick up his butt, Pulaski. Yet I continued to watch and as I said grew to love the show. DS9 also had many things I disliked about it, but overall I enjoyed the show. However even if I didn't and stopped watching it like many of my friends choose to do I would never have suggested to anyone that it should have been cancelled or changed because of something I hate.

Now many people are finding fault with Enterprise, which is their right to do, but if you hate it don't watch it. Leave it alone so that those of us who do like it can watch it in peace. I enjoy the temporal cold war. Who among us in the 20th century would expect women to go from a standard military uniform available now to using an impractical mini-skirt with high heeled knee boots in the next 200 years? Furthermore, I don't think that many of us would want to watch a show in which technology was represented as being more primitive looking than it does on TOS. Strictly speaking if this were a true version of established Trek history then the starship would have been a Deadulas class (think of the silly looking medical ship from "All Good Things," but put TOS NX-)1 nacelles on it). There would be no transporters, view screens, phasers, photon torpedoes or anything else that we have come to expect. We have made tremendous advancements in technology since 1966-69. We have things that make TOS look silly in comparison. I mean look at TNG when they showed us computer panels with a touch screen interface that was cool. Now you can have that at the bank, office or even your own home. The temporal cold war is a great way to make changes in the time line which reflect how far we have advanced in real life. Furthermore, the temporal cold war can be used to make changes in the cannon that were stupid (and although I love Star Trek lets be honest there was a lot of stupid things that have happened in the last 34 years). Also the use of time travel or time changes is a fundamental genre in science fiction. For me some of the best episodes in Trek history have been about time i.e. "City on the Edge of Forever," "Yesterday's Enterprise." As far as characters go that is as always a matter of taste. I've always hated Kira. I disliked Janeway. I disliked Riker. My wife hates Kirk. I wonder how Hoshi ever got into Starfleet. However, I find that one bad character usually don't spoil the show. In many that character can even come to enhance it. When Bashir first came on the station much like Milles I couldn't stand him, but also like Milles I came to like and even respect Bashir.

In closing I like Enterprise. If you don't that's your choice, but try and remember that although you haters of the show may sometimes be more vocal there are others who want to watch it. Leave Enterprise alone to tell it's story and leave it on the air.