Sign in to follow this  
Indy

The Dax Hosts

Which of the Dax hosts would you like to have met?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the Dax hosts would you like to have met?

• Lela Dax
    • Tobin Dax
    • Emony Dax
    • Audrid Dax
    • Torias Dax
    • Joran Dax
    • Curzon Dax

We know Jadzia and Ezri Dax well from DS9. But we met the previous hosts only briefly during Jadzia's Rite of Closure in "Facets" and saw a little bit of Joran and Tobin in other episodes. But which previous host did you find most interesting and would have liked to have known better? Following is some info from startrek.com on each of the previous hosts to help you decide.

LELA DAX

Click for Spoiler:

Female Trill who was the first host to the Dax symbiont. Lela Dax was a legislator, one of the first women to serve as a council member on the Trill homeworld. When she started out, she would speak using lots of emphatic gesturing. She found out that some of her male colleagues were making fun of her for this, so she started to restrain herself by holding her hands behind her back; that became a habit which remained with Dax throughout the symbiont's several lifetimes. Jadzia Dax, the eighth host, learned about this when she invoked the Trill Rite of Closure or "Zhian'tara" during which she transferred the memories of Lela into her friend Kira Nerys.

Lela had a son named Ahjess. When he was young, Lela couldn't sleep through a whole night for weeks, because after Ahjess was tucked into bed at night, he would climb into his mother's bed two hours later for attention. (Jadzia recalled this when talking with Miles O'Brien about his children.)

TOBIN DAX

Click for Spoiler:

Male Trill who was the second host to the Dax symbiont. Tobin Dax was a shy, nervous fellow, a nail-biter who was socially inept and constantly apologetic. But when it came to intellectual pursuits, he excelled in several fields. He knew phase coil inverters like no one else, and prior to his death he was working on proving Fermat's Last Theorem, using the most original approach to the proof in 300 years. He tried his hand with botany, but despite being a vegetarian, he didn't have much success there. He also dabbled in sleight-of-hand magic.

Tobin had a child named Raifi who put him "through hell" (according to Jadzia), but that could be due to the fact that he could never bring himself to discipline his children no matter what they did. Once while on Vulcan, Tobin Dax met exiled Cardassian poet Iloja of Prim, giving him an interest in Cardassian literature. Iloja remained Dax's favorite Cardassian writer in subsequent lives.

EMONY DAX

Click for Spoiler:

Female Trill who was the third host to the Dax symbiont. Emony was a professional gymnast even before her joining; in fact, she worried that getting the symbiont inside her would affect her coordination and hurt her career, but she found that being joined improved her concentration. Emony's interest in athletics carried down to subsequent Dax hosts. She also liked to relax by standing on her head, a trait that sometimes manifested in subsequent lives.

Emony visited Earth in the 2240's to judge a gymnastics competition. There she met a student at the University of Mississippi named Leonard McCoy, and had a brief involvement with him. She told the young McCoy that he had the hands of a surgeon, and advised him to become a doctor. He did, and the rest is history.

When Jadzia Dax, the eighth host, invoked the Trill Rite of Closure or "Zhian'tara" in 2371, she transferred the memories of Emony into her Bajoran friend Leeta. Emony appreciated the excellent body she found herself in, because in it she was able to execute various gymnastic moves.

AUDRID DAX

Click for Spoiler:

Female Trill who was the fourth host to the Dax symbiont. Audrid Dax, loving mother to at least two children, once served as head of the Trill Symbiosis Commission. Being named to that post was the happiest event of her life, next to giving birth to her first child. One of Audrid's children was a girl named Neema. At age six Neema came down with Rugalan fever and spent two weeks in the hospital. While there, Audrid read her all 17 volumes of Caster's Down the River Light, even though her daughter was unconscious the whole time. Later Audrid realized that reading the book was as much for herself as for Neema, to compensate for her feelings of helplessness. Neema survived the illness. When she was 21 Neema had a falling out with Audrid, and mother and daughter did not speak for eight years.

Besides brushing hair and nursing children, Audrid also loved to take walks in the woods.

When Jadzia Dax, the eighth host, invoked the Trill Rite of Closure or "Zhian'tara" in 2371, she transferred the memories of Audrid into her friend Quark. Having Quark embody the extremely feminine Audrid was a bit of a joke Jadzia played on the chauvinistic Ferengi.

TORIAS DAX

Click for Spoiler:

Male Trill who was the fifth host to the Dax symbiont. Torias was a test pilot who was joined about 2284 but lived less than a year thereafter. Torias married another joined Trill, a scientist named Nilani Kahn. Torias' career made Nilani nervous, and he accused her of panicking over nothing. But her worries were justified when Torias flew a shuttle that wasn't ready for a full impulse test. The shuttle crashed and Torias was critically injured. According to official Trill records, Torias was in a coma for just under six months, and doctors could not stabilize his isoboramine levels (isoboramine is a neurotransmitter that mediates synaptic functions between host and symbiont). When his levels fell below 40 percent of normal, they had to remove the symbiont, killing the host. Torias' death was recorded on Stardate 8615.2.

It was later discovered that the circumstances of Torias' death were altered in the official records. He was not in a coma for six months; rather, he had already died, and during that six months the Dax symbiont was joined with the murderous Joran Belar. The Trill Symbiosis Commission wished to cover up that fact for various reasons.

When Jadzia Dax, the eighth host, invoked the Trill Rite of Closure or "Zhian'tara" in 2371, she transferred the memories of Torias into her friend Julian Bashir. Despite a life cut short, Torias told Jadzia that he felt lucky to have been joined because he could continue to exist when the symbiont is passed to a new host.

JORAN DAX

Click for Spoiler:

Male Trill who was the sixth host to the Dax symbiont, but whose joining was covered up by the Trill Symbiosis Commission. Born ca. 2264 as Joran Belar, a composer with a violent temper, he was accepted into the Trill initiate program and deemed unsuitable to host a symbiont, but for some reason was joined to Dax anyway in 2285. At that point Joran became more confident and "even colder than usual," according to his brother Yolad Belar, and six months later Joran Dax killed a doctor with the Symbiosis Commission who had recommended that Belar be dropped from the program. He was caught and the symbiont removed, killing Joran. The fact that Joran hosted the symbiont successfully for months, despite being declared unsuitable, threatened to expose the closely held secret that nearly half the Trill population is capable of being joined. Rather than risk the chaos that could ensue, the Symbiosis Commission altered the official record to cover up the fact that Joran Belar had been joined, stating that he was still an initiate in 2285 when he committed the murder and was killed trying to flee the murder scene. The record also altered the fact that the previous host, Torias Dax, died immediately after his shuttle crash in 2285; it stated that Torias Dax was in a coma for six months, at which time the symbiont was removed, killing Torias, and immediately transferred to new host Curzon. The coverup extended to biochemically erasing Joran's memories from Dax's mind. The commission's fiction was maintained until 2371, when the memory block deteriorated, altering the neurochemistry of then-host Jadzia Dax and endangering her life. Jadzia's friends uncovered the truth and coerced Trill authorities — by threatening to reveal their secret — to save Jadzia by allowing Joran's memories to emerge and be reintegrated into Dax's mind. Jadzia successfully assimilated the resurfaced memories, and even picked up Joran's musical talent. The existence of Joran Dax remained suppressed from public knowledge, however.

When Jadzia Dax invoked the Trill Rite of Closure or "Zhian'tara" in 2371, she transferred the memories of the dangerous Joran into her friend Benjamin Sisko, but while keeping him in a holding cell behind a forcefield. Joran berated Jadzia for being unworthy of the Dax symbiont, then tricked her into lowering the forcefield and tried to escape with Sisko's body. But Jadzia overpowered him with a few Klingon-style blows and brought Sisko back.

In 2375, Ezri Dax, the ninth host, invoked the Rite of Emergence to call up the essence of Joran to help her solve a serial murder case on Deep Space 9. Joran had appeared to her in a dream and urged her to channel his memories and let him assist her in understanding and apprehending the killer. Ezri was uncomfortable tapping into the "killer instinct" kept deep inside her, and at one point nearly killed an innocent man. But Joran's presence helped her identify the killer as the Vulcan Chu'lak. She wounded the suspect, and Joran urged Ezri to "finish him off," but she abstained. With the case closed, Ezri reburied Joran's memories within her, knowing she must remain vigilant about her submerged violent instincts.

CURZON DAX

Click for Spoiler:

Male Trill who was the seventh host to the Dax symbiont, a noted Federation dignitary, aficionado of Klingon culture, and something of a womanizer (which ultimately killed him). Joined from 2285 to 2367 — 82 years — Curzon was one of Dax's most enduring and distinguished hosts, and one of the most colorful. He was a close friend and mentor to Benjamin Sisko, who called him "old man," a habit that Sisko continued when Dax became Jadzia and then Ezri.

One of the highlights of Curzon Dax's illustrious career as a diplomat for the Federation was helping to negotiate the Khitomer Accords in 2293. But the road to that achievement was rocky. In 2289, four years prior, Dax walked out on a speech by Kang at the Korvat colony, angering Kang, but opening the door for understanding. Dax eventually won the respect of his Klingon colleagues and was deeply honored when Kang named his firstborn son for Dax, and made Dax the child's godfather. When the boy was murdered by the Albino, Dax swore a blood oath to avenge the death. Although Curzon Dax did not live to fulfill the promise, the eighth host, Jadzia, did so in 2370.

Dax also served as a Federation mediator on Klaestron IV during that planet's civil war in the 2330's. He became friends with General Ardelon Tandro and his family while stationed on the planet. Unknown to Tandro, Dax was also engaged in a love affair with Tandro's wife, Enina. Thirty years later, when Jadzia Dax was accused of Tandro's murder, Enina testified that at the time of her husband's death, Curzon Dax was in her bed.

Curzon first met Ben Sisko at the Palios Station when Sisko was an ensign, and they served together aboard the U.S.S. Livingston. They stayed good friends for nearly two decades. Curzon used to assign Ben Sisko to guide VIP guests while under his command so the Trill wouldn't have to deal with them.

Curzon acted as Jadzia's field docent and recommended she be dropped from the initiate program, noting that he felt she lacked a sense of purpose. She did not realize until years later that Curzon's harsh evaluation had spurred her to re-examine her purpose so that she eventually did win the opportunity for joining. Despite his early opinion of Jadzia, Curzon did not object when, at the end of Curzon's life, Jadzia asked to become the next host of the Dax symbiont. In 2371, Jadzia learned that the true reason for Curzon's recommendation was that he had fallen in love with Jadzia during the young woman's initiate program. Unable to deal with these inappropriate feelings, and unwilling to admit them to Jadzia, Curzon recommended that she be dropped from the program. Curzon would later admit to feeling so guilty about his actions that he nearly retired from the Trill Symbiosis Commission. Four years after Curzon's death, Curzon's personality reluctantly admitted his feelings toward Jadzia through her zhian'tara ceremony.

Curzon was not known to be punctual — he was even late for his 100th birthday party. Curzon had learned to play tongo and was fond of the game, a fondness that Jadzia retained. He was once thrown out of the infamous Barros Inn for setting the place on fire.

Curzon Dax, who never married, died in 2367. At the time of his death, he had been on planet Risa, making love with a beautiful woman named Arandis, who termed the experience "death by jamaharon." The Dax symbiont was subsequently implanted into Jadzia Dax.

I voted for curzon dax sisko talked very highly of him in ds9 and he was the source of jadzia's strenth :o

Most people may vote for Curzon but I feel that we already know a lot about him from stories that Sisco and Jadzia have talked about..It would be very interesting to learn more about any of the other hosts..I voted for Lela Dax. Seemed like she was quite interesting. A strong Trill woman. One of the first women to serve as a council member on the Trill homeworld..I think she would be fascinating to see and learn about. Plus she was the first Dax host..

I haven't voted yet, but I agree with you about Curzon. He is probably the one we are most familiar with because of his friendship with Sisko. I get the feeling that he was a very strong personality and had quite an influence on Jadzia.

I voted for Curzon Dax. From what we've heard in multiple DS9 episodes, he sounds like he'd have been a fascinating man to meet, especially with high praise from Sisko. If they ever do a DS9 movie, I think they should right in two seperate flashback scenes. One with Curzon and one with Jadzia. :wow:

After reading "The Lives Of Dax" (Which is a must for any Dax fan, There are small stories that chronicle the lives of each Dax host), I would have to say "Lela."

:thumbs:

That's one of the books on my list to read. I'm looking forward to that one, I've heard it's good.

I finally voted for Audrid, for her ability to balance a family with a professional life, plus she liked nature. She seems very well-rounded.

After reading "The Lives Of Dax" (Which is a must for any Dax fan, There are small stories that chronicle the lives of each Dax host), I would have to say "Lela."

<_<

I strongly recommend this book as well. It's one of the best DS9 novels I had ever read. Grin-Nod.gif I wish I have more stories about Torias Dax though. He sounded like someone even Scotty would envive.

I would have loved to be able to see more of Curzon as he sounded like the life of the party and so much fun.

I voted for Curzon Dax. He is the coolest of all those mentioned. After him, I would say Jadzia Dax would be next in line of the Dax hosts that I would like to meet. :) :laugh: :) B)

I showed the results becuase I had no idea who these characters are :drool:

From the Descriptions I think it would be good too meet Curzon :clap:

Edited by Syperphobia

Emony  :P

LOL!!! But Curzon is winning by a landslide!