Sign in to follow this  
DrWho42

Good-years for Time-travel

Just a thought, what year do you think time-travel will become possible and be practical for ordinary use? (For Earth I mean...)

And because I feel like it, I'm going to post on the newest Doctor Who audio adventure:

Gallifrey 1: Weapon of Choice

naa61.jpg

The Time Lords share the power of the Web of Time.

The Time Lords of Gallifrey were the first to map the Web of Time. Now, under the reforming gaze of President Romanadvoratrelundar, the oldest civilisation is ready to shed its monopoly, sharing its secrets with a coalition of the Temporal Powers the Monan Host, the Nekkistani and the Warpsmiths of Phaidon among them.

But the coalition is a fragile one, and despised in some quarters. When a team of Time Technology Assessors makes a horrific discovery on the barren moon of Kikrit, it seems their enemies are arming themselves to strike at the alliance. Has a terrorist group really acquired a temporal weapon so terrible the Time Lords forgot about its existence?

In search of the truth, Romana sends the woman called Leela and the robot dog K9 to the enclave of Gryben, a reception centre for temporal refugees. But the truth is war's first casualty and the fallout could destroy them all...

I don't know if Time Travel will ever be a reality. I have serious doubts that it will be. I won't say it's "impossible" but I do believe that the possibility is unlikely.

Time travellers from the future would (and imo do) explain (some) UFO's.

It's funny but the strangest UFO case I've ever investigated involved a UFO that looked oddly enough, like a Hugh phone booth. :P

Edited by Alterego

I believe that time travel will be a possibly within the next 10-20 years if ever

I also hold these truths to be self evident and that inorder to form a more perfect union which has....

(trying to memorize preamble to constitition)

Time travellers from the future would (and imo do) explain (some) UFO's.

AE,

Are you stealing my theories again? :P

Seriously, I always thought the time-travel explanation for UFOs made more sense than extraterrestrials.

I don't think humans will experience time travel in the way the movies portray it.  I do believe in the afterlife we will be able to "see" Earth's history.

In that sense I agree, we may even have the ability to interact rather then just observe. But I believe it would be more like a "holodeck" experience then actual "time travel" with the ability to alter the past.

I believe that we can only travel into the future. As time flows in one way. If you were to bend time, you might tear the time space continuum. That would be unfortunate as we would all be killd in what would be the big crunch if it actually occurs due to this time travel. We would only observe or else we would be intemporal stasis as a time stream would be required. straying form the time stream may destabilize the time space intersect therefore mass chaos would be inflicted. In order for time travel to occur, we must learmn to wap space time. This is necessary for a time stream. We would take a few hundred years to achieve warp travel. After this, it would require hundreds of years to perfect the time stream. I would say maybe 400-1000 years from now.

I would say maybe 400-1000 years from now.

We, the Time-lords of Gallifrey, are probably the oldest race in the galaxy...

We have conquered death by giving ourselves 13 regenerative lives, time-space technology and several other technologies given our long-time of being....

We are all timetravelers we all travel forward through time. I hate to even say that time travel will be nearly impossible, the earth is always in places so if you try to go back to a time, you may be in that time but in the middle of space. Just a thought. Haven't been think very clearly lately.

:P :o :force::bow::bow::bow: :o :) B) :o

We are all timetravelers we all travel forward through time. I hate to even say that time travel will be nearly impossible, the earth is always in places so if you try to go back to a time, you may be in that time but in the middle of space. Just a thought. Haven't been think very clearly lately.

:P  :o  :o  :)  B)  :o  :force:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:

you are correct in saying we are traveling through time, but we really mean in more than one second to one second.....We mean it is 2004 now it is 3012

What about when nonlocality is achieved?

nonlocality-n. being able to exist everywhere.

Anyways, anything is possible...

that's not going to happen as we are not God. Only God has omnipresence. We would have to break the theory of relativity to do that and that would be very difficult. Our mind would have have too much information to process. Be realistic...

lol What if at some point in time, we would be able rework the laws of time? That's an interesting concept...

Even if we ever could, we shouldn't. There would be too much risk to change something important and then the issue of if we should change things.

well that would be if we went back in time but that's probably not going to happen.....

Traveling near into the creation of the flow of time itself may be a dangerous operation to under-take...

Our being there, when time and space itself is forming into the dimensions of today, might lead to several offshoots of this timeline into alternatives....

Like if in one off-shoot, days of the year, don't go in order...

Check out this thread on time travel:

http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?showtopic=758

My thoughts are summarized here:

What is time?  Here are a few thories on what type of time-travel exists!

1. Nonexistent Time - "Time" does not exist as an actual substance - it is an entirely man-made concept, therefore, time travel is impossible - there is nowhere to travel to!

2. Static Time - Time exists, however, due to physical laws - time tavel is impossible

3. Editiable Time - Time is sort of "set in place" - changes don't affect many things and you can go back in time and change little. When you go back in time you edit the already existing time. This is the type of time favored in most time travel scenarios - For Example: "Back to the future"

4. Resetable Time - When you travel back in time, you "reset" the future - all the decisions and chance events reset. So, for instance, you travel back to World War II to historically observe it, right? To you great amazement Germany Wins! This could happen because the decisions of the pilots and troops and commanders are reset and perhaps this time Germany fights better! This is obviousy really bad! Time travel is very dangerous!

What is also interesting is that there are really some subsets of 3/4.

Subset A: Sequential time travel - Time travel happens in sequence - You can't tell yourself to leave you some money! The future hasn't happened yet!

Subset B: Simultaneous time travel - All time travel happens at the same time - you can tell yourself to leave some money for you (supposing you aren't broke in the future!)

Subset C: Quantum realities - every chance even creates a new parrellel universes where in each one a different outcome occurred.

Supposing the "time scenario" is 3 or 4 (really doesn't matter), then the paradoxes are solved differently...

I'm using the "Grandfather Paradox"

Subset A:

1. You travel back in time and kill yourself

2. Since you killed yourself no one grows up to travel back and kill you

3. So ... You don't exist in the future to go back in time and kill yourself

4. Your younger version therfore grows up

5. You then go back and kill yourself

6. Since you killed yourself no one grows up to travel back and kill you

7. etc.

It just keeps repeating until...

(big #). You go back in time to kill yourself but a capacitor blows on your time machine and you can't go back in time and kill yourself - the timeline is stable!

All you would remember is a freak accident kept you from going back in time to kill yourself! (you don't remember any "looping") You would notice every time you tried to make a paradox a freak accident would stop you!!!

This phenomenon is called a "temporal loop" and the conclusion is called "chance compensation"

I don't really know how it would work in Subset B where all time travel is simultaneous - you would both be dead and alive at the same time??? It doesn't make sense!

There is also the theory of Quantum Realities (Subset C)

In this theory, each time you time-travel you create an alternate time line. In this case, if you traveled back in time to kill yourself, you would succeed and you would still exist but your younger version would not. You would have, in effect, "jumped" realities. If you went back to your time no one would know who you were because in their reality, you don't exist!

If we were able to time travel it would have to be only to the past as everything in the future hasn't happened yet!

We can choose our own destiny!

If we were able to time travel it would have to be only to the past as everything in the future hasn't happened yet!

We can choose our own destiny!

I must disagree with you. Our perception of time is that it goes forward. But if we were to fold it as to go backwards, choas would ensue as our dimension only allows us to travel forwards. If we were to travel backwards, we would be required to travel into the fourth dimensional plain.

But it's impractical...

'Impractical it is, desirable it isn't...'-The 6th regeneration of the Doctor (Doctor Who, 'Attack of the Cybermen, Part 1)

It seems impractical, but nontheless it can be possible....lastresort.jpg42.gif

Yes, maybe in the year 4367 when we learn to manipulate the laws of physics....

Yes, maybe in the year 4367 when we learn to manipulate the laws of physics....

hehehehe, that would be cool....lastresort.jpg42.gif

cool but dangerous as I have explained in my many long and very very boring posts