Who has seen stellar phenomenon?

Heve you seen Stellar phenomenon?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Heve you seen Stellar phenomenon?

• yes
    • no

Have you seen stellar phenomenon?

IF you have please specify...

I have seen an eclipse, and meteor showers.....

I believe that everyone has seen stellar phenomenon as everyone has seen stars burning in their life cycles. L O L But yes, I have seen eclipses and meteor showers too.

I've seen solar eclipse, lunar eclipse, meteor showers and a total eclipse of the heart :clap:

What would the Aurora Borealis be considered? An atmospheric phenomenon?

:blink: :hug:

I get to list them!! Great thread, I have been keeping a list of stellar/astronomical events I have seen over my lifetime, and plan to do so until I die. I have loved astronomy since I was about 2 or 3.

-Many many meteor showers

-The Lyrid Meteor Storm (I saw over 250 in an hour, I long to see another of those storms happen...just awesome!)

-A curly cue meteor, during the Orionids when I was about 10.. one meteor spiralled in an almost complete circle. Very cool

-A couple of fireball meteors. Extremely bright and extremely large meteor. One of which streaked almost completely across the sky going from a reddish purple to bright white to a beautiful shade of green.

-Many eclipses solar & lunar.

-Venus transist the sun

-"String of Pearls" comet Shoemaker Levy 9 hit Jupiter. I actually watched what was later determined to be the largest chunk strike, and that was fragment "C"

-Halley's Comet. I had a t-shirt from the event that I so loved. And eventually wore out, but recently after a ton of searching I found the picture that was featured on it and replaced my shirt!!! :laugh: (see the attached pic, I believe that was originally from an 1835 French newspaper talking about Halley's. I could be wrong on the year though)

- Hale Bopp, Hyakutaki, NEAT comets

-The ISS passover.

-Have viewed Venus in several phases. Saturn, Jupiter(plus Galilean Moons), tried to catch Mercury before it set not too successful. Of course as well as checking out the Orion & Crab Nebulas.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

Too bad I live in Houston...

Lot's of smog, clouds, heat, mosquitoes, humidity, and light prevent me from seeing anything and my mom won't let me get a telescope...

:laugh:

Lot's of smog, clouds, heat, mosquitoes, humidity, and light prevent me from seeing anything and my mom won't let me get a telescope...

:look:

awww, darn. :look:

Maybe someday you will be able to get a scope. Either that, or there is another option (as long as it is ok by your mom, that is)...when there are stellar events going to occur, a lot of times local astronomy clubs or museums offer the public a chance to view them. You can always check in your hometown to see if there are any.

For example, when I was 5 I saw Halley's at both a museum, and via the local Astronomy Club's meeting. In the case of the club, members who had scopes set them up...so you could view the comet and other night sky objects in a wide variety of scopes.

awww, darn. :(

Maybe someday you will be able to get a scope. Either that, or there is another option (as long as it is ok by your mom, that is)...when there are stellar events going to occur, a lot of times local astronomy clubs or museums offer the public a chance to view them. You can always check in your hometown to see if there are any.

For example, when I was 5 I saw Halley's at both a museum, and via the local Astronomy Club's meeting. In the case of the club, members who had scopes set them up...so you could view the comet and other night sky objects in a wide variety of scopes.

my mom refused to take me to the houston Museum of Natural Science....

The meteor shower I saw (The Lyrids) was being celebrated at the museum but my mom did not drive me...

I saw it in my tree covered backyard....

through binoculars...

I saw one tiny streak and that was it...

It was not worth it...

couldn't go to sleep so I basically had a nice little 21 hour day staying up till 12 the next morning..

yeah...

My interest in astronomy and cosmology has not been rewarded...

I've seen a partial solar eclipse, a lunar eclipse, meteor showers, and a comet. They were all very cool. I should really get myself a telescope one of these days. :roflmao:

I have seen many stellar phenomenons while growing up. Part of my job in the Navy is to observe stars and planets. When the ship is underway and away from the bright lights there are so many stars out. It is a sight to see. I miss being underway. :roflmao:

Hmm ... stellar phenomina that I have seen include solar eclipses, lunar eclipses, Geminid and Leonid meteor showers, Halley's and Hale Bopp comets, the Kohoutek(?) comet, Venus transit -via Internet, numerous constellelations, some man-made ones such as Skylab, one of the shuttles in orbit, numerous satellites, and of course Venus, Saturn, Jupiter and some of their larger moons. I would like to see some of the nebulae and galaxies via a bigger telescope.

Only one, but it was a couple years ago and I don't really remember it that well. I think it was a meteor shower...I just remember red streaks really really late at night... :bow:

I am planning on seeing more, I want to go see the solar eclipse in Turkey in 2006 (probably not going to happen) and I want to go to Alaska in 2011 to see the hight of the solar sunspot cycle :laugh:

I've seen a partial solar eclipse, a lunar eclipse, meteor showers, and a comet. They were all very cool. I should really get myself a telescope one of these days. :bow:

Right now I have two scopes.. both were ones I had gotten for Christmas.

At age 5 I got a small refracting scope from my grandparents(as well as that year, and for several years later many of my relatives got me field guides, star charts and other astronomy related books. :laugh: ) The scope is a little dinged up, but still works pretty good. I recently used it to try and get a view of NEAT. But the scope was a bit weak to get a good view.

My scope I used for most of the stellar/planetary phenomenon I have seen, is my Meade 6" Newtonian reflector. Which I got at age 10 from my mom & dad. It is an awesome scope!!

Astronomy magazine is holding a contest in this month's issue. Grand prize, 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes are all varying types of scopes(all with electronic locator devices installed, as far as I can remember). And 4th prize is a pair of really rather good binoculars. You could always check and see if there is information about the contest on their website, or pick up this months issue (it is advertised in the top left hand corner of the cover.)

I might enter it, just for the fun of it.

THen there are many sites you can check out when you are searching for a scope.. I personally like the Meade/Celestron brand(as that is the brand of my current scope), but many others are quite high quality.

A couple are:

Astronomics

Meade.com

Celestron

Orion is pretty good too...

Orion

I hope these links help anyone interested in getting a telescope :o

Edited by Yillara_Soong

yes i have seen a solar eclipse...and found it very fantastic...i only watched with naked eye..well special sun glasses of course so i was limeted to the marvel of it

and also i've seen my fair share of falling stars

I've seen a partial solar eclipse, a lunar eclipse, meteor showers, and a comet. They were all very cool. I should really get myself a telescope one of these days. :clap:

Right now I have two scopes.. both were ones I had gotten for Christmas.

At age 5 I got a small refracting scope from my grandparents(as well as that year, and for several years later many of my relatives got me field guides, star charts and other astronomy related books. :clap: ) The scope is a little dinged up, but still works pretty good. I recently used it to try and get a view of NEAT. But the scope was a bit weak to get a good view.

My scope I used for most of the stellar/planetary phenomenon I have seen, is my Meade 6" Newtonian reflector. Which I got at age 10 from my mom & dad. It is an awesome scope!!

Astronomy magazine is holding a contest in this month's issue. Grand prize, 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes are all varying types of scopes(all with electronic locator devices installed, as far as I can remember). And 4th prize is a pair of really rather good binoculars. You could always check and see if there is information about the contest on their website, or pick up this months issue (it is advertised in the top left hand corner of the cover.)

I might enter it, just for the fun of it.

THen there are many sites you can check out when you are searching for a scope.. I personally like the Meade/Celestron brand(as that is the brand of my current scope), but many others are quite high quality.

A couple are:

Astronomics

Meade.com

Celestron

Orion is pretty good too...

Orion

I hope these links help anyone interested in getting a telescope :wow:

I may actually take use of that.... :jaw: I got a $25 telescope from an auction house, it seems to be pretty good, but I can't seem to find a good place to use it :theking:

I've tried to see a lunar eclipse, but I didn't really "see" what was happening(hard as I tried) because I'm super nearsighted and didn't have a telescope or anything :theking: it just looked like a normal moon to me (and yes it was the right time and night and stuff, I had a whole big group of friends with me, so I that something happened)

Have you gotten glasses yet or do you have contacts?

Too bad you didn't get to see it. They're wonderful.

I've seen numerous meter showers and have done planetary motion studys. Some Solar surface explorations and many hours of Lunar surface observing. (Weird things happen on the Moon)

I've attempted deep space object viewing but with my rickety old tripod it is next to impossible to maintain a steady field of view long enough.

With every eclipse (Solar or Lunar) happening in my area I take out the scope, set it up and give views/lectures to the neighbors for as long as their interested. Did the same with Hale-Bop which is the object I consider to be the greatest celestial viewing event of my lifetime.

I have not seen too many but here they are.

A lunar eclipse.

A solar eclipse but only through the special eclipse viewing glassess, my telescope does not have the special lens needed to view the sun.

The comet Hale-Bopp. I was working night duty and looked out of the window and there it was, it was an awesome sight. I had heard on the news that it would be passing over but I never thought that I would see it.

Nope i dont belive i have seen anything like that,i guess i just dont take the time to look up at the stars,but also where i live is a lot of light pollution so its not easy to see the stars :clap:

Nope i dont belive i have seen anything like that,i guess i just dont take the time to look up at the stars,but also where i live is a lot of light pollution so its not easy to see the stars  :clap:

W0t huh come again...........ermmm what years was it sun eclips....in garden me u me mam............

I do believe it was the millenium.

I personally have seen a solar eclipse and a and may lunar eclipses, not to mention one transit of venus over the sun. The next one is in 8 years time.

I believe that everyone has seen stellar phenomenon as everyone has seen stars burning in their life cycles.

I do happen to see the the sun at least once a day. But seriously, besides Hale-Bopp and Halley's comet I was lucky enough to see something pretty rare. My sister and I saw an awesome meteor a few years ago. It looked like a huge fireball streaking across the sky. I found out later from my college astronomy professor that this meteor was actually well documented and had hit somewhere in upstate NY.

One day, like 2 years ago, there was this dark ring around the sun. I never heard any more of it. Ever. Not even on the news that day..... And I'm not the only one who saw it. Some of the classes came out to see it also.