Sign in to follow this  
jdigs

Conventions

Sorry if this has already been tackled..BUT do any of you have fond,scary,funny,sad or just plain laughable moments from ST conventions?

ive only been to one convention, when i was about twelve...and the thing i will NEVER forget is a music video someone made from TNG data scenes, and put it to `im too sexy...` it was AWESOME!!!!

I've been to a few conventions and the thing I enjoy most are all the people in costume,and there have been some great Klingon costumes at some of these conventions.Although I do have a Starfleet uniform I don't wear it at conventions (Halloween and theme parties only! LOL),I will simply wear jeans and one of my many Star Trek t-shirts.

At one convention I actually had the chance to ride the elevator with George Takei (Sulu). I was on my way down to the convention floor when the elevator stopped and Mr.Takei with his manager stepped in.

My Jaw dropped! We shook hands and chatted briefly while riding the rest of the way down and he signed my copy of his autobiography that I had with me.

I have a rather amusing one. About three years ago i went to the big local Con here in Atlanta. It's called Dragon Con and it is a blast!

that year they had Rober O'Reilly, who played Gowron and J. G. Hertzler who played General Martok sitting next to each other at a sighing table. I came up and grinning at Mr. O'Reilly i said, "you know, i think he (Martok) is going to be a much better ruler for the Klingons then Gowron,"

Mr. O'Reilly, playing along, acted like he had been stabbed in the chest and looked wounded. I lauhged and while Mr. Hertzler ignored us, Mr. O'Reilly and i started talking and ended up talking about potty training our children ( seem to remember his saying he had twin boys) we must have talkked for 10 minutes. I was great! He was very nice with a great sense of humor.

and now i can honestly say...I once insulted the former ruler of the Klingon Empire!

I have a rather amusing one. About three years ago i went to the big local Con here in Atlanta. It's called Dragon Con and it is a blast!

that year they had Rober O'Reilly, who played Gowron and J. G. Hertzler who played General Martok sitting next to each other at a sighing table. I came up and grinning at Mr. O'Reilly i said, "you know, i think he (Martok) is going to be a much better ruler for the Klingons then Gowron,"

Mr. O'Reilly, playing along, acted like he had been stabbed in the chest and looked wounded. I lauhged and while Mr. Hertzler ignored us, Mr. O'Reilly and i started talking and ended up talking about potty training our children ( seem to remember his saying he had twin boys) we must have talkked for 10 minutes. I was great! He was very nice with a great sense of humor.

and now i can honestly say...I once insulted the former ruler of the Klingon Empire!

Lessa, did you go to the last Dragon Con? They had some great costumes this year!

I live in ATL as well.

Lessa, did you go to the last Dragon Con? They had some great costumes this year!

I live in ATL as well.

Yes, i did. did you see the guy with the spiderman one on? Nice! I hope i get to go this year. I really love the art show. Its great!

I ever bought a costume and so dod my husband. I love it!

I've only been to one convention but they played this really cool video tribute to the red shirts to this song that I don't know the name to but the melody went "I'm dyeing in your arms tonight." It was so cute!

Well, I don't have any st clothes. but, and I hate to admit it :D, I'm dying for a uniform (red, yellow, blue, I don't care! I want one! (and not one of those later ones. A TNG season 3-7 one! (and has anyone noticed that the only uniform colours are the primary colours?)))

I have never been to a convention, however when I was 9 or 10 I think there was one in Jacksonville(but, I had a competition I was in, so no convention for me :D ). My sisters and I were talking(in the old chat room) about conventions that were nearby our hometowns, and somewhere we talked about all finally meeting each other at a convention one day. I think that would be a blast.....

As for costumes or Trek uniforms....I never really had much in the way of Trek stuff. Just the Generations and the First Contact T-shirt. That and a couple of my leotards looked a little like the TNg uniforms. I have a gold one that I usually wear black pants with(......hmmm, let me think who wears a gold uniform and why I would choose to wear that color :D )

That and I am getting ready to order a competitive uniform in the colors that my students and I picked out...Sky blue, black and gold. And the suit looks a little like the FC or Generations uniforms. If the girls like this design, I will be getting their orders taken down before the fall!

As for other people getting Trek unforms, my brother's school's marching band was going to get new uniforms....and my family and I were really thrilled to hear that they'd be like the TOS movie uniforms(the red ones, I think the director said) or one of the TNG uniforms.....Then the terrible news, they didn't use that design. And they now have uniforms that resemble....OK, lets face it I keep saying that they look like rejects from the Captain Eo show at Epcot(you know the space themed show with Michael Jackson?)!!!

Conventions used to come to San Diego every year, nothing like the Grand Slams but still fun. At them here in SD, we have seen Shatner and Nimoy and a parade of lessers. We have spoken with and gotten autographs from, Dorn, Nichols, Sirtis, Auberjonois, Mulgrew. Unfortunatly, they stopped coming here about 8 or so years ago

At the Nimoy Con, instead of having a period of "question and answers" he decided he was gonna hold the crowd hostage for the duration of his visit showing us scenes of a movie he directed (which eventually flopped big time) so it ended up feeling like going to a neighbors house and being forced to watch home movies, so that sucked but all rest of them were a blast!

I went to a convention just recently with my dad "Worf was there.. :D I had lots of fun got a communicator and autographed pic of Gates McFadden.. :D its all good... I don't think any one was selling uniforms but they only had like 5 or 6 sellers.. I can't wait till the next one that comes (that could be a while because I live in OR.... any way the best part was being able to spend the day with my dad and share my knowledge of trek with him(even though he introduced me to it)... well I'll stop babbling.. :D

all hail Bev!! :)

P.S. Dorn had a story he told all of us about while they were filming NEM it was really really funny and don't even ask me to share because it might not be appropriate...(but it was funny) :)