Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Miles O'Brien

Lieutenant Miles O'Brien? I just don't recall him being called Lieutenent on TNG..Even there I thought he was called Chief..Wasn't he?

Lieutenant Miles O'Brien? I just don't recall him being called Lieutenent on TNG..Even there I thought he was called Chief..Wasn't he?

Yes, he was always called Chief. He wore Lt. Pips but never held that rank.

actually miles is weird.. he was origionally an ensign.. then they turned him into a lt.. then they decied to make him a non commisioned officer.. hence the term cheif.. by the time he moved to DS9 he was a NCO

<<<<---------Pretty, pretty ship, No?

Wasn't ' Chief ', just sort of a nickname for him since he was head of engineering, right? :hug:

Edited by Jeanway

He was an NCO (Non-commissioned officer) on TNG also. In the episode "Family" where Worf's father is in the trasnporter room talking to him he mentions that he too was an NCO and "Worked for a living" just like O'Brien.

I'll have to go back and watch some of the very early episodes to see if he's ever actually referred to as Lt. or Ensign or whatever. But I believe that he has always been referred to as "Chief".

Wasn't ' Chief ', just sort of a nickname for him since he was head of engineering, right? :hug:

Geordi was the Chief of engineering. "Chief" for O'Brien was his rank.

Cool cards i have never seen them before i dont think you can get them here in holland,the only ones i have are playing cards from TOS which i got free with a box set of TOS video's. :hug:

You mean transporter chief.

There are things that are incorrect on star Trek cards....

Let me see if I can find one for you...

Digs though his collection...

Oh well, I lost the one with the prometheus...

I remember it said something wrong but oh well...

Wait don't dilithium crystals generate power, not fine tune it?

Or does deuteirum generate power....

That may be a mistake!!!

Yeah, I Don't Think They Could Ever Decide His Rank Until They Put Him On DS9.

One Of My Star Trek Magazines Has A Thing About O'Brien And His Rank Jumping.

I noticed last night that O'Brain's pips indicated he was a chief petty officer. This is very confusing since in TNG I destinctly remember that he was a Lt. (Jr. Grade). How is this possible? To be in the officer ranks you have to go to the academy and those who do not are considered "enlisted" if they enter starfleet with a whole seperate ranking system. Does anyone know what happened?

i read somewhere that miles didn't go to the Acadamy-

how would one join starfleet then?

i know that if you go to the acadamy then you are starfleet but if you don't-How?

:dude:

you can bypass starfleet academy by signing up in the enlisted Ranks (Crewmen Recruit-Warrant Officer Level 4) however, you can not become an officer (Ensign-Fleet Admiral) untill you complete the academy

I think Cheif O'brien was a Great character that was underdeveloped on TNG..

It was only on DS9 that he was given the spotlight..

I think Scotty would have liked him.I got to go se Relics again..I am not sure they met

##########

you can bypass starfleet academy by signing up in the enlisted Ranks (Crewmen Recruit-Warrant Officer Level 4) however, you can not become an officer (Ensign-Fleet Admiral) untill you complete the academy

###############

how fun.

clears up some things but not alot. maybe it will sink in later.

obrian rocks!!!!!!!! :look:

I think Cheif O'brien was a Great character that was underdeveloped on TNG..

It was only on DS9 that he was given the spotlight..

I think Scotty would have liked him.I got to go se Relics again..I am not sure they met

I'm pretty sure they "met" in the sense that they were in the same room together when Scotty beamed over to the Enterprise-D and was looking at the transporters and such. I don't recall them speaking to each other though.

It would have been very interesting to see him and O'Brien talk though, Geordi was a good Chief Engineer but Scotty and Miles were more alike then Geordi and Scotty.

Maybe share a "Wee dram o Whiskey?"

There was definatly more kinship between them

wait a minute....

if you can bypass the acadamy, does that mean someone like garak could join starfleet(not that he would....)????

Actually, in Encounter At Farpoint, he was called a Ltn by Picard when they are on the Battle Bridge. It was not until DS9, that he finally had the correct rank for Chief displayed.

Actually, in Encounter At Farpoint, he was called a Ltn by Picard when they are on the Battle Bridge.

Which is what I can recall as well, also I had had at least some of those cards(like the one VBG posted) and I recall it saying Ltn. on it too.

Though I think on one of the later Season 1 episodes they slip up and call him Ensign.

Didn't O'Brien go off to teach engineering at the Academy? How could he teach at Starfleet Academy if he never went through the academy?

Not that I think he's not qualified ... land sakes he's the best engineer in Trek history (besides Scotty, of course!).

Didn't O'Brien go off to teach engineering at the Academy?  How could he teach at Starfleet Academy if he never went through the academy?

Not that I think he's not qualified ... land sakes he's the best engineer in Trek history (besides Scotty, of course!).

wait a minute....

if you can bypass the acadamy, does that mean someone like garak could join starfleet(not that he would....)????

Yes Garak could join Starfleet, just as Nog did. But he would need a command level recommendation (like he spoke to Work of giving him in "In Purgatory's Shadow" but he was just 'teasing' Worf).

Yes, O'Brien did go to teach at the Academy at the end of DS9. The fact that he never attended the Academy plays no role in his being able to teach there though. I knew a guy in the Army that was a Sgt. that worked at West Point for a while teaching BRM (Basic Rifle Marksmanship) to the cadets. So it's your skill level that determines if you are qualified to teach.

I've known teachers in some colleges that have no teaching degrees, but were hired because they had a lot of experience and knew what they were talking about.

O'Brien is a great character that finally got the character development he deserved in DS9. It's amazing how what started off as such a minor character on TNG became such a big part of DS9. Colm just gives Miles the right personality the character needs.

Here's a pic of Miles, his rank insignia visible...

post-1503-1147377185_thumb.jpg

Now, the best I can tell, this is the insignia he's wearing...

post-1503-1147377211.jpg

This indicates that Miles is no Chief Petty Officer. He's a SENIOR CHIEF. Maybe in Starfleet it's different, but I know alot of Senior and Master Chiefs in the Navy who get kinda pissed if you simply call them Chief.