brosnan.jpg

As now reported in many news sources around the World (including: Chicago Sun Times & MKKBB), CBn can now confirm from its own source close to the negotiations for Bond 21 that Pierce Brosnan will not be returning to the role of James Bond.

Brosnan had previously stated that he was good for five, perhaps six films, tying him with Sean Connery?s term with Eon. This no longer seems to be case.

Brosnan has stepped into the role of 007 four times (Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World Is Not Enough and Die Another Day). Each film he made did better in the global market than the previous one, with DAD being second only to Thunderball in adjusted total worldwide gross. Die Another Day also saw the theme song nominated for two Grammy Awards and featured an acadamy award winning actress (Halle Berry) as the main Bond girl.

However, Brosnan's term was not without controversy. Some fans felt that Bond had gone too far into the world gadgets and pop culture, while others complained about poor plots and dialogue. Brosnan himself was injured in each of the films he made, hurting his back in the final fight sequence of GE, having his face cut open in TND, getting burned in the back while filming TWINE, and most famously, hurting his knee while filming the hovercraft sequence in DAD.

Negotiations finalising Brosnan?s Bond 21 contract are said to have ceased, and the search for the next James Bond is well underway. Though no replacement has been found at this time, filming of Bond 21 is still reported to begin in early 2005. Eon Productions is said to be waiting to make an announcement until Brosnan?s successor is named.

But even when the sixth James Bond steps into the gunbarrel, for many Bond fans young and old, Pierce Brosnan?s tenure will cast a heavy shadow over those that follow for he succeeded in entertaining millions. CBn wish Mr. Brosnan all the best for the future, and all the best to the forthcoming Bond number six.

well there went me, I kinda only enjoyed sean connery and Pierce Brosnan's versions. The others for me have sucked

Although Pierce Brosnan is up for a fifth outing as 007, his recent comments to the media regarding the lack of progress on Bond 21 has sparked discussion about his eventual successor.

Speaking to the Daily Mirror (UK), Brosnan has named the actors he could see taking over the infamous 007 number once he hands back his licence to thrill.

"Colin Salmon (who played MI6 aide Charles Robinson in the last three Brosnan films) would be a great Bond."

"Clive Owen is a very fine actor... Hugh Jackman... Gerard Butler... There are men out there and there will be another Bond, whether I do it or not," he says."

"Bond has been in the limelight for so many years he'll carry on."

Hugh Jackman?? NO! HE IS NOT BRITISH. Now Clive Owen I could see making a great Bond.

If  he was worried about nobody hearing his side of the problem, Pierce Brosnan can sleep well tonight. Following yesterday's revealing interview on the Bond 21 situtation, Brosnan has spoken more to a number of UK newspapers who have all run stories today about the Bond 21 stalemate.

In The Sun (UK) newspaper, he says: "It is nowhere near a done deal - but they know where to find me. I was prepared to do a fifth film and then walk away and we had started negotiations."

"I want to follow through but conversations and telephone calls have dried up."

"We started talking about the fifth so this paralysis that has set in is rather surprising. The producers have reached an impasse as far as I can tell. They don’t know what to do."

"I certainly would love to do a fifth Bond and then bow out but if this last one is to be my last, then so be it. My contract is up. They can do it or not."

He also reiterates the problem facing Bond 21 is also to do with the style and substance of the movie:

"The bar for these movies was raised so high with the last one "Die Another Day" and they don't seem to know how to improve on it. We're just saturated with too many overblown action films with no plot. They don't have a script or a director so the rumours that we will begin filming in the autumn are just rumours."

MGM confirmed Bond 21 will be released on November 18th 2005. Shooting is expected to start in January next year.

Anyone interested to see Ewan McGregor take the part? I have heard his name linked on more than one occasion.

With regards to the news: I'm not really bothered, especially after that last film. In my opinion Connery is Bond as both actor and character share similar characteristics, so anyone who plays the part will be second best. But as long as we get more story and class with little less unbelievable action then I will be happy.

It doesn't bother me that Brosnan may be gone either. Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, and The World Is Not Enough were all great films, but Die Another Day was pure crap. Brosnan played Bond very well, but they keep uping the gadgets and gizmos and not to mention the GIMMICKS! Maybe with a new Bond, they will go back to the basics. Make a Bond movie like From Russia With Love or On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and I'll be happy.

I'm not sure about Ewan. If he can pull it off, sweet. But he just seems to gentle and small to be Bond.

I was never a James Bond fan - but I have seen the last four. None of those actors metioned would compel to go see another one (I don't know who they are). (well Maybe Hugh Jackman - yeah I'd go see Hugh Jackman)

(well Maybe Hugh Jackman - yeah I'd go see Hugh Jackman)

But he's not British. Every Bond has been a member of the British Commonwealth. Jackman is an American. I think that he could make a good Bond, but it is not possible. He is not British. On Die Another Day, they had the first ever American editor on the film, and the editing went to crap. It was all Matrix-esque and having uber fast then uber slow paces. Garbage. If they finally abandoned their roots and went with an American Bond, the new movies would be crap to me.

It doesn't bother me that Brosnan may be gone either. Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, and The World Is Not Enough were all great films, but Die Another Day was pure crap. Brosnan played Bond very well, but they keep uping the gadgets and gizmos and not to mention the GIMMICKS! Maybe with a new Bond, they will go back to the basics. Make a Bond movie like From Russia With Love or On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and I'll be happy.

I'm not sure about Ewan. If he can pull it off, sweet. But he just seems to gentle and small to be Bond.

Agreed, that would be only problem with Ewan (his height) but his ability and fame might give the franchise another boost, so it would be a difficult for producers to weigh up the pros and cons.

Regarding what makes a successful Bond, I think we need to get back to that 60's "chic" style that was used in the Connery Bond films (and is also used in The Pink Panther, although to comic effect). To do this we need epic shots of idyllic foreign locations and a classic John Barry score with undertones of jazz.

But he's not British. Every Bond has been a member of the British Commonwealth. Jackman is an American. I think that he could make a good Bond, but it is not possible. He is not British. On Die Another Day, they had the first ever American editor on the film, and the editing went to crap. It was all Matrix-esque and having uber fast then uber slow paces. Garbage. If they finally abandoned their roots and went with an American Bond, the new movies would be crap to me.

Uh, Hugh Jackman is Australian. He qualifies. George Lazanby was Australian too so it can be done.

Hugh Jackman IMDB Profile

The guy I've heard rumours about is Matthew Perry (shudder). I don't think it would ever work.

Hugh Jackman also does a rather good British accent. I dunno... I'd like to see him in a Bond role, but that's just me.

Uh, Hugh Jackman is Australian. He qualifies. George Lazanby was Australian too so it can be done.

The guy I've heard rumours about is Matthew Perry (shudder). I don't think it would ever work.

Oh. Then I have no problem. Lol. I could have sworn he was American.

And I doubt Matthew Perry would ever even be considered by the producers. That would make Roger Moore look talented. Lol. (No offense to Moore fans)

And Sean Connery was Scottish. He is also not exactly the greatest fan of Great Britain and I doubt he would relish being considered British.

Moreover, Pierce Brosnan is Irish, which explains why he's so cool. I think he moved to England when he was 11 or 12.

I think Hugh Jackman would do a good job of it. I think Hugh Grant would have been interesting if he hadn't done so many comedies already (check him out in "Lair of the White Wyrm" for a laugh - but not if your upset easily by dark, cheesy, religious imagery). Colin Firth, who has also starred in a number of movies with Grant, might pull it off a little better.

If I had to choose 1 person, it would be Ralph Fiennes; however, despite how much I like Bond movies, I think he's too talented to even entertain the idea.

I don't believe that Pierce Brosnan is too old at all. Die Another Day did however suffer from two main problems:

1- Madonna: Her cameo was abysmal and showed that even in a five minute role she demonstrated zero amount of acting ability. Plus, she looked as rough as old boots.

2- The terrible CGI ice tsunami surfing scene.

Regarding Ralph Fiennes, he is a good actor, but more in serious movies and not in action popcorn movies like Bond.

Hugh Jackman or Ewan McGregor would be my main choices to suceed Pierce if he is replaced.

Edited by William Stryker

Hey, I watch "Goldeneye" just to see Brosnan and Bean on the same screen. I love watching PB, ever since his Remington Steele days, and I, for one, think he's far better-looking, and a much better actor now. I wish he'd do at least one more. (I haven't seen "DAD" yet.)

Of the people y'all have mentioned, I vote for Hugh Jackman. I like Fiennes, but I also agree he's too much a "serious" actor for Bond.

Yes, PB is a great Bond. It's too bad he's been hampered by other aspects of the movies lately - lame villain in TND, silly stunts in DAD. I hope they (PB and the production team) can reconcile.

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

Goldeneye was a terrific Bond movie. The opening sequence with the jump from the dam was spectacular. Sean Bean was a brilliant villain.

Tomorrow Never Dies was OK, but was let down by Jonathan Pryce's weak performance as the villain Elliot Carver. The first choices for that role BTW, were Albert Finney or Anthony Hopkins, and both of those guys could have brought more to that movie and made taken it to a higher standard.

The World Is Not Enough suffered from having an overly complex plot and weak villains and Denise Richards as a nuclear scientist??? Yeah right!!!

Die Another Day was also OK. Good gadgets, nice cars, decent villains in Toby Stephen's Gustav Graves and Rosamund Pike's Miranda Frost. Let down by poor CGI, Halle Berry was an annoyance in that movie. I hate this idea of Bond having a "Feisty-Female-Partner-Who-Is-Also-A-Secret-Agent" in every movie.

For the next Bond movie, I would like to see the return of a SPECTRE-type organisation in some form. It kinda makes sense given the present climate of global terrorism, instead of SPECTRE being a Communist organisation, maybe they could be a Anti-Western terrorist organisation like Al-Qaeda?

Or alternatively, why not base the next 007 movie in Africa, where Bond must face some kind of Barre or Mugabe-esque dictator? or maybe a plot based in Serbia/Kosovo? Maybe Sean Penn as a Serbian insurgent leader? or perhaps a story set in India/Pakistan?

:huh: :huh:

Edited by William Stryker

BTW- Did you all know that "LICENCE REVOKED" was going to be the title of the 007 movie that eventually became 'Licence To Kill'?

It was altered because they were worried that not everybody in the world knew what "Revoked" meant.

Rosamund Pike and Toby Stephens were really good. Jonathan Pryce was lame, but the character was also written poorly. I didn't know about Hopkins - that really would've helped matters. They really need a villain with a strong presence in the next movie. Sean Bean really made GE work.

And, yes, the feisty female counterpart thing is getting old fast. It's becoming as much a stereotype as the damsel in distress.

I just wanted to mention that accourding to the NY times both Hugh Jackman and Ewan mcgregor or not up for the role

Reasons stated were because both actors have played Gay characters.(Hugh on Boradway and Ewan in about 3 movies) And bond is supposed to be the opitamy of masculinity

IMO Clive Owan would be a good chioce but they said they are going ofr an unkown actor

I think they should go with Julian Mcmahon( Australian.His father is an ex-prime minister) He is from Chramed and nip/tuck television shows

He is tall,handsome,a great actor and the most macusline man on TV

For the next Bond movie, I would like to see the return of a SPECTRE-type organisation in some form. It kinda makes sense given the present climate of global terrorism, instead of SPECTRE being a Communist organisation, maybe they could be a Anti-Western terrorist organisation like Al-Qaeda?

You are right that SPECTRE was the terror organisation but it was not communist. The communist division that appeared in the early Bond films was SMERSH.

I actually like the idea of Bond taking on Al-Qaeda, but I could foresee opposition to the film from certain areas. I'd still do it if I were the producer though.

I just wanted to mention that accourding to the NY times both Hugh Jackman and Ewan mcgregor or not up for the role

Reasons stated were because both actors have played Gay characters.(Hugh on Boradway and Ewan in about 3 movies) And bond is supposed to be the opitamy of masculinity

I guess that eliminates Guy Pearce (Priscilla Queen of the Desert).

I don't believe that Pierce Brosnan is too old at all. Die Another Day did however suffer from two main problems:

1- Madonna: Her cameo was abysmal and showed that even in a five minute role she demonstrated zero amount of acting ability. Plus, she looked as rough as old boots.

2- The terrible CGI ice tsunami surfing scene.

Yeah those scenes were TERRIBLE.

I don't think that SPECTRE would work in this day and age. It worked in the 60's and 70's, but I think people would find it corny now. And Al-Qaeda? Please no. That is just cheesy with recent world events. They need to keep it fresh. If they are going to do an organization, make it The Union (in a few of Raymond Benson's Bond novels). I think SMERSH was only in From Russia With Love, and they SPECTRE was playing them for fools anyways. Lol.

IMO Clive Owan would be a good chioce but they said they are going ofr an unkown actor

I don't think they will go for an unknown. They tried that with George Lazenby, and he quit after one movie to further pursue his modelling career. Lol. From then on, they always picked established actors.

It was altered because they were worried that not everybody in the world knew what "Revoked" meant.

I was reading in one of my James Bond books and it said that they did a poll in America and most of the people did not know what revoked meant, and since their most important box office is the American one, they changed it. But then they didn't have a good marketing campaign and it only had an average box office return (although I think LTK is one of the best! Timothy Dalton rocks.)

They don't have to call the SPECTRE group 'Al-Qaeda', but some kind of organised terror group may be better than the weak villains that Pierce seems to have had in his movies.

I don't think that SPECTRE would work in this day and age. It worked in the 60's and 70's, but I think people would find it corny now.

As far as I remember I think SMERSH still exists although it was absorbed by the NKVD and later the KGB, so I suppose it is not unreasonable to see them return!

How about Bond taking on a Chinese Communist organisation?

Well Blofeld is supposedly dead. Because of Kevin McClory and his legal battles, they were not allowed to use Blofeld's name in For Your Eyes Only, but they definitely killed off a bald man with a cat, and with a neck brace (from the end of On Her Majesty's Secret Service). Come on. Who else could it be? SPECTRE just wouldn't be SPECTRE without Ernst Stavro Blofeld, so if they are going to do an organization, do something new.

Yes, PB's villains have been kind of weak, other than Alec Trevelyan. He was amazing. But Carver wasn't threatening at all, Renard didn't even have a big role in TWINE (although Elektra was an amazing villain), and Gustav Graves was a big weenie. He looked like a moron in his robo-suit. The next film really needs a strong villain. Somebody like Red Grant. Or even someone like Zorin. Christopher Walken did a great job (despite the kind of crappy film).

Does anyone else think it would be interesting for say Sean Connery or Roger Moore to play Bond's nemesis in the next Bond movie?

Eh. I think that would be too confusing. There was an old rumour that Connery would play Bond's mentor. But I doubt that will ever happen. There has already been a few two role actors. The guy who played Mr. Henderson in YOLT also plays Blofeld in DAF. Maud Adams plays Scaramanga's girlfriend in TMWTGG and is also Octo(I'm trying to say a bad word but can't) in OP. Joe Don Baker plays both Whitaker in TLD and Jack Wade in both GE and TND. I think we've had enough of those. Sean Connery is a good actor, but I think his role in Bonds are done (especially after the total crap they call Never Say Never Again. Stupid Kevin McClory). And I don't think Moore could handle it. He is pretty freakin' old.

(Lol. It censored Octo.p.u.s.s.y. It's a character name!)