Sign in to follow this  
chunderfish

Did Archer make the right decision?

Who should have flown the Azati Prime Mission?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have flown the Azati Prime Mission?

• Archer
    • T'Pol
    • Tucker
    • Reed
    • Mayweather
    • Hayes
    • Sato
    • Porthos

Well I don't know if there are any who disagree with me that Archer made the wrong call in deciding to take on a suicide mission himself but I will be interested to see how the vote goes and what comments folk have to make!

Yes he made the wrong decision. He was off his game first not to notice his First Officer was not up to par so he really left Enterprise in a mess. I voted he should have sent Trip. Trip's my favorite and goodness knows I wouldn't want to lose him but I think he had more experience than Travis and the mission needed an experienced officer.

I understand why Archer did what he did, not wanting to send someone on a suicide mission he wouldn't be willing to fly himself. I'm not so sure he made the wrong decision considering how cryptic and full of half information Daniels has been. I wouldn't be in a rush to trust him either. Jimmy Kirk would have had the same inclinations. Had Archer known T'Pol's "secret" he definitely wouldn't have gone.

Knowing what we know, Archer's next best choice would be to have sent one of the MACOS. Surely one of them has piloting experience with his/her military training. If Archer and crew can be taught to fly an insectoid shuttle, one of the military personnel could. That's what the MACOS are there for. It's why they volunteered. Trip is needed on board for the engines and--as it turns out in light of T'Pol's problem--to command the ship. Malcolm is needed on board to make sure the weapons are in order. and to command security. Major Hayes is a decent, heroic fellow. I'd hate to see him die but that is exactly what he volunteered for. He most likely had the toughest mind set for such a mission.

However, I still understand why Archer wanted to go. I can't fault him for being brave enough to go himself--or for being reluctant to "go up and knock" and say, "Let's talk" when the weapon is so close to completion and the death toll could be billions if he's wrong. Let us give the good captain a break. Yes, the Xindi could build another weapon, but not in ten minutes. The prudent course of action is to destroy the weapon, then try to talk peace.

Edited by MoulinRouge

It seemed like it was the best option to send himself to the Azati Prime, although it may jepardize the timeline Daniel's knows....

Sending Porthos would be cruel...

Archer definately made the wrong decision. First of all, the crew need Archer's experience. He is invaluble to their mission.

Second of all, if the mission went wrong, which it did, and he was captured, which he was, he could have potentially given out important information. Archer got lucky.

Travis is more expendible and has less information.

I think it would have made more sense for Major Hayes to fly the mission (he could have been trained to fly the shuttle and he has training with explosives. Plus I have a feeling that Hayes will not survive to the end of the season. I have no information just a feeling).

I can see why Archer did it but after learning what he did from Daniels it didn't make sense. Of course, for the purposes of the show Archer had to do the mission.

Other people have already stated the same reasoning I have on the topic, so my short answer is "He did the wrong thing."

If Trip or Mayweather had been sent, the situation could've been over already. The weapon was likely relocated while Archer was learning how to fly that thing. He had no way to know this, of course, but it's still something to think about.

Archer has demonstrated that he has very good flying capabilities in the past. Flying is something he did before becoming a captain. So in that respect he made the right decision. Also, Trip and T'Pol have proven themselves to be just as capable as Archer. If I were Archer I would trust the mission to them. T'Pol has more space experince than Archer, and Trip has almost the same amount. Archer made the right decision. He decided that he would not order anyone else to die. I respect that. And I don't think it endangered the mission. As for being caught and tortured, I think Archer knows his abilities: that he would never give the Xindi information that could result in the destruction of the entire human race. He is too strong to allow that.

I don't know anything about it, but doesn't the star's contract usually indicate a certain amount of average time on-screen per episode or across a season? I think this is why Bakula (Archer) does everything - he needs to be where the main action is. It's messing things up because other characters hardly see any screen-time if I'm right in this assumption.

I said Sato should've flown the mission because I think she's the most expendible on this mission. On the other hand, Mayweather's a better pilot. Maybe they should've both gone. :huh:

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

if i was Archer, i would have taken the mission. Mainly because of the bond between Archer and T'Pol and Archer and Trip. They are both capable officers - and they can handle the riggers of running a ship.

i would feel personaly obligated to carry out this mission to the bitter end, even it meant death. it's complete and utter obligation to the mission, to the ship, to the dead of Earth, and to his career.

I definitely understand why Archer choose to pilot the shuttle himself, but that doesn't mean I think he should have. He is the captain and is needed on the Enterprise, and if he can't make the decision to sacrifice a crewmember, maybe he isn't suited to be in command..

In one way I really liked that Archer choosed to fly himself because that would never have happened in any of the other Trek series.

Some interesting thoughts! And I realise that it went the way it did because Archer is the lead and for the purpose of the story they couldn't send anyone else.

I voted for Mayweather actually. Archer's (lame) excuse for taking the mission was that he wouldn't order anyone else to die - well he had two volunteers off the bat - Mayweather and Trip. Archer should never have sacrificed himself - as Captain he is too crucial to the mission, the ship and the crew. Similarly Trip is not expendible. If there had been more time a MACO would be ideal - just in case of capture (I assume they will have better training in interrogation techniques etc). So I go with Mayweather - he volunteered, had the appropriate experience and there are others who can take the helm.

In a "real" situation I think he made the wrong choice. The Captain is too important to the success of the most important mission ever undertaken by humans. I voted that the best pilot should have gone.

Archer had to do the mission, he wouldn't let anyone else do it because deep inside, something's bugging him (pardon the Xindi pun). Little clues given throughout the mission, especially recently weigh on him. He doesn't know why, but he's the one that has to go....

Archer knows something is amiss. What's his face in "Strategem" made a comment about not wanting to kill the innocent, but needing to save their world. There have been other comments made, how the humans are treacherous, how they would come to destroy them. Archer knows humans wouldn't do this. Consciously he's trying to complete the mission, save Earth but subconsciously his mind is putting the pieces of the puzzle together.

Xindi's belief that humans would destroy them in cold blood, the Makers of the Spheres, the reconfiguration of space, fear of annihilation, manipulation.....

Archer knows.

Okay, beddy bye for me. Too much Enterprise in one evening.

Putting myself in Arhcer's position, I can't personally imagine living with the guilt of ordering someone else to death. I think that's what sets Archer and the Reptillian General apart (who sent a personal friend of his to certain death on a strange planet he new nothing of). Hayes or someone who volunteered, I could imagine doing it, but I personally know I wouldn't totally be able to justify it to myself.

I totally agree with touchthesky. Archer had to be the one to go, not only for his stated reasons, but because he is the fulcrum. Somehow it all turns on him. His plan didn't turn out the way it was supposed to, but all of a sudden he's in a place where he can really get in and work on the Xindi psyche and figure out what's really going on. He's already got Degra doubting and is starting to realize that he can use the fractiosness of the differing species of Xindi to his advantage.

If anyone else had gone, they would have ended up in the same situation, but they wouldn't have been able to take advantage of it like he is beginning to. One thing ya gotta love about Archer, he can play sneaky Machiavellian mind games with the best of them. And there's way more going on here than it appears.

Oh yes, to quote touchthesky, "Archer knows."

I can just see the pieces falling together in his head, and it's raising the hair up on the back of my neck. Can you smell the ozone in the air from the storm that's brewing? It's goona be soooo good.

I can't believe they're gonna make us wait till April. I want my Enterprise NOW!

I voted for Hayes, but now I realize he probably could not have learned to pilot the craft fast enough. Perhaps the handsome Mayweather along with Hayes would have been the best choice. :picard-sith:

Edited by mjham

I voted he should have sent Trip.  Trip's my favorite and goodness knows I wouldn't want to lose him but I think he had more experience than Travis and the mission needed an experienced officer.

I agree. As Sybok once said, "a starship needs its Captain." Trip was the next best canidate, I think.

I voted for Mayweather as he is meant to be the best pilot and the Captain is less expendable.

As for my opinion on this aspect, I think that Archer is an early model Captain who (like Kirk) likes to go on away missions and take control of situations himself. Of course he still has a lot to learn and it perhaps still a way off becoming a military commander rather than simply an explorer.

Mayweather as he is never used in the plots so he can be ridden of easily without ruining anything...

Archer has demonstrated that he has very good flying capabilities in the past.  Flying is something he did before becoming a captain.  So in that respect he made the right decision.  Also, Trip and T'Pol have proven themselves to be just as capable as Archer.  If I were Archer I would trust the mission to them.  T'Pol has more space experince than Archer, and Trip has almost the same amount.  Archer made the right decision.  He decided that he would not order anyone else to die.  I respect that.  And I don't think it endangered the mission.  As for being caught and tortured, I think Archer knows his abilities: that he would never give the Xindi information that could result in the destruction of the entire human race.  He is too strong to allow that.

I agree with you 100% Archer did the right thing by going on this mission.