Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

STARTREKFANS.NET Email

Would you want a STARTREKFANS.NET Email address?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a STARTREKFANS.NET Email address?

• Yes
    • No

At some point in the next few months I will be upgrading our service, one of the options that I may be adding is email addresses for anyone that would want one.

Before I do that though I want to see if there is any interest in having your own STARTREKFANS.NET email address. It would be your username@startrekfans.net, for instance my email address is VaBeachGuy@startrekfans.net.

Yea, that'd be cool. Do the Mods have access to read anyones? Or is it still private? :)

Great idea - count me in! :) I could use another e-mail account. My Yahoo address is getting too cluttered to manage.

Sounds like a good idea. I have two questions:

1. Would there be any space limitations?

2. Any kind of SPAM blocking?

Sounds like a good idea. I have two questions:

1. Would there be any space limitations?

2. Any kind of SPAM blocking?

Yes, there would have to be a space limitation simply because the email that each user uas stored in their email account is stored on our server and takes away from the total space allotment that I pay for.

The email uses Spam Assassin.

So what else do you plan on, or are thinking of, adding to the site?

The main reason for upgrading my service is for reasons that members would never see. Things like Bandwidth allotments, storage space, MySQL Databases and Sub-Domains.

"Bandwidth allotments" is the amount of traffic that goes through the site each month. Our current allotment is 30GB per month Max. As of right now we have used 24.73GB for this month.

The storage space os the amount of room the board can use on the server. We are allotted 300mb of space and are currently using 170.23mb.

We are currently allotted 2 SQL Databases, we are using one for the board and one for the Enterprise Database. The SQL databases are the place where the posts and other data are stored.

And we are currently allotted 3 Sub-Domains, we are using 2 of them. http://ferengirules.startrekfans.net and http://episodeguide.startrekfans.net

So the upgrades I would be planning would be more "behind the scenes" then anything else. The email addresses would probably be the most visible change, as well as maybe a new section or 2 using different sub-domains.

There's other aspects but these would be the ones that most directly affect the board and members.

I think it is a fine idea. I probabbly will not use it however. I already have three e-mail addresses.

Thanks, but the last thing I need is another e-mail address - I, like mjham, also have 3 already; actually, I have 5, but I don't really use 2 of them since they came for free with other services. I'm really not clear on how having an STF e-mail address would change anything or be of any benefit. PMs are sufficient. Having another one just means having to remember another password and more time wasted logging in. I don't want to sound ungrateful, but it is something I would never touch and I just don't see the point of spending time logging into and checking yet another account. I think this site is great the way it is and the other behind the scenes changes mentioned above sound like they'd have more impact (at least from Admin's point of view).

I would love that, the only bad thing would be my friends would be a bit ticked with me cause I would change my email again. They get kinda annoyed with that.