Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Defiant's Shuttle

I just watched "The Sound Of Her Voice" and I think this is the only episode that show's Defian't Shuttle. I like it and whish they had used it more. This is another common bond between Enterprise and DS9, the way the shuttle is deployed.

Here's a video of it deploying and a couple Pics.

Defiant's Shuttle Deploying

PDVD_689.JPG

PDVD_691.JPG

I don't think it's a good idea for me to click a vid link on the comp I'm currently on. Are you referring to the Chafee?

I don't think it's a good idea for me to click a vid link on the comp I'm currently on. Are you referring to the Chafee?

I don't recall a name being given to it, but it may have had a name. The fideo basically only shows the shuttle deploying. The still pics I posted are of the same sequence.

Sorry, the still pics didn't load for me til just now. :drool:

Yes, that's the Chaffee. It's referred to as that in several canon sources, but I first found out about it in the Starship Spotter book (not always considered canon). Don't know a whole lot about it, though.

that thing is tiny!!!!!

It's a standard size Shuttle, keep in mind that there is supposed to be 3 people inside it with room for at least a couple more.

Actually VBG, didn't the crew on the Defiant refered to the shuttle as being cramped? I bet it is a little smaller than a standard size federation shuttle.

I believe it is about the size of Voyager's class-2 shuttle, the small and sleek one, but with more seating. Infact, here's a picture of that shuttle for those who didn't watch/like Voyager.

type9-beauty.jpg

If this is the same size as Defiant's shuttle, then this would explain why it's so cramped. :)

Actually VBG, didn't the crew on the Defiant refered to the shuttle as being cramped?  I bet it is a little smaller than a standard size federation shuttle.

No, I just re-watched that sequence and I didn't hear any of them mention it being cramped.

It's a Type-10 Shuttlecraft.

shuttle.JPG

http://www.ccdump.org/type-10.html

I believe it is about the size of Voyager's class-2 shuttle, the small and sleek one, but with more seating.  Infact, here's a picture of that shuttle for those who didn't watch/like Voyager.

If this is the same size as Defiant's shuttle, then this would explain why it's so cramped. :)

Here's the Type-9 Shuttle:

shuttle2.JPG

I would think so. I enjoy it when people place info on Trek sites that's taken from episodes, movies, and off-screen chronology without non-canon fan-made info. :)

Also, while we're discussing the Defiant's shuttle, I have a question:

Why do the shuttles have "number" classifications? I've always believed that each ship class, and similar ship designs, have their own shuttle design which explains why the shuttle always mirrors the mother ship. I also find it hard to believe that they only designed 11 shuttlecraft in 100 years. If they're going to design a full-size starship, how hard would it be to design one or two types of shuttlecraft to go along with that design?

[glow=]I think the only reason for that was, that Defiant was too small to have a regular shuttle bay, So the shuttle had to be "Drop Launched" Enterprise just kinda used the same idea... Pritty cool way of doing it though.[/glow] :clap: :P

post-5-1080994795.jpg

Why do the shuttles have "number" classifications?  I've always believed that each ship class, and similar ship designs, have their own shuttle design which explains why the shuttle always mirrors the mother ship.  I also find it hard to believe that they only designed 11 shuttlecraft in 100 years.  If they're going to design a full-size starship, how hard would it be to design one or two types of shuttlecraft to go along with that design?[/color]

At one point I had the Next Generation Technical Manual and it said that there were, I think, Five different types of shuttles aboard it. Not all of them mirrored the Enterprise-D's design. And Voyager's original shuttles were the same as the D's.

Why do the shuttles have "number" classifications?  I've always believed that each ship class, and similar ship designs, have their own shuttle design which explains why the shuttle always mirrors the mother ship.  I also find it hard to believe that they only designed 11 shuttlecraft in 100 years.  If they're going to design a full-size starship, how hard would it be to design one or two types of shuttlecraft to go along with that design?[/color]

At one point I had the Next Generation Technical Manual and it said that there were, I think, Five different types of shuttles aboard it. Not all of them mirrored the Enterprise-D's design. And Voyager's original shuttles were the same as the D's.

I didn't know the Ent-D had 5 different shuttle designs, I just figured it was three designs, including the Ent-A-type shuttle from GENERATIONS, and the little shuttlepod. As for Voyager, the ship caried 4 kinds of shuttlecraft. The Baxial - Neelix's shuttle, the Delta Flyer, the small and sleek shuttles which I provided a picture of in a earlier post, and the TNG-looking shuttles - which are based on the Ent-A shuttles from ST-5 - but with VOYish features like bussard ramscoops on the naccelles mirroring Voyager's ramscoops among other details that make the shuttle mirror Voyager to some degree.

[glow=]I think the only reason for that was, that Defiant was too small to have a regular shuttle bay, So the shuttle had to be "Drop Launched" Enterprise just kinda used the same idea... Pritty cool way of doing it though.[/glow] :P  :(

Now I know THAT wasn't on the Defiant!

Edit: The Viper pic didn't make into my reply.

Edited by lt_van_roy

Because you want the shuttles to be interchangable so that one shuttle can work with several ship classes. (Why we feel the need to have so many ship classes is another issue but I won't get into that here.) Think about what would happen if each of the aircraft carriers in the US Navy were to have different planes, each tank in the US Army fired a different kind of shell, etc. There would be no interchangability.

Does that leave room for "special" shuttles such as Captain's Yachts and the Argo and the Defiant's shuttle? Sure. But the workhorses of the shuttle pool should be interchangable (and cheaply mass produced).

Edited by lt_van_roy

Edit:  The Viper pic didn't make into my reply.

Attached images aren't included in quotes, right click the image and copy the URL from it's properties then use IMG code tags to include it in your post.

Click for Spoiler:

post-5-1080994795.jpg

Another great observation VBG! I never noticed that before either. I guess shuttle drop systems are standard equipment on smaller class vessels (or vessels without two hulls?) beginning with NX-01. :P

Because you want the shuttles to be interchangable so that one shuttle can work with several ship classes. (Why we feel the need to have so many ship classes is another issue but I won't get into that here.) Think about what would happen if each of the aircraft carriers in the US Navy were to have different planes, each tank in the US Army fired a different kind of shell, etc. There would be no interchangability.

Does that leave room for "special" shuttles such as Captain's Yachts and the Argo and the Defiant's shuttle? Sure. But the workhorses of the shuttle pool should be interchangable (and cheaply mass produced).

Even though the shuttles mirror their mother ships, who said they can't be interchangable? Voyager had a few shuttles that looked like they came from the Ent-D, in GENERATIONS we see a shuttlecraft rescue Picard that looks like a Constitution or Miranda-class ship shuttle with 1701-D on the side, and so forth. I think that each ship class would have it's own shuttle design, but at the same time, have them interchangable.

Now the Klingons, on the other hand, they knew how to build ships. Their shuttles weren't much to look at, but you can count their capital ship classes from Enterprise to Voyager on one hand. None of this "Oh, this nebula is green! We have to build a new class of ship for this one!" crap that the Federation pulls.

Now the Klingons, on the other hand, they knew how to build ships.  Their shuttles weren't much to look at, but you can count their capital ship classes from Enterprise to Voyager on one hand.  None of this "Oh, this nebula is green!  We have to build a new class of ship for this one!" crap that the Federation pulls.

That may be, but the federation ships are a lot more interesting.

Those of you who think the ship is cramped with 4 people in it: 9.0 meters is roughly 30 feet, or just slightly smaller than a standard school bus, which can carry something like 70 people. Now, granted, the internal volume isn't as great as a school bus, I'd say 4 people on those shuttles would be relatively comfortably.