Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

DS9 link to Enterprise?

Daedalus-class has never been seen on screen.  The picture you provided is a rejected design of the TOS Enterprise and will likely never be seen on screen.  If it is, however, expect a complete revamp like what the Enterprise got for the movies.

Umm, cap, did you forget about the model they had in Sisko's office? :blink: I think that makes it pretty official.

That was a model. Unless Sisko referred to it directly as being a Daedalus-class starship, we have no reason to believe that it is that. Sisko's model being Daedalus-class has always been a fan assumption. There is no evidance that the model and Daedalus-class are one and the same.

Daedalus class is canon even though we have never seen it fly on screen. This is from the Star Trek Chronology.

First the cover:

st.jpg

Now page 25 from that book:

daedalus.jpg

To my knowledge the chronology is seen as official.

I thought books weren't cannon. :blink:

You're thinking of the Stories (Pocket books), this is a chronology and was written at the request of Gene Roddenberry as a guide for the writers of TNG to be able to keep things straight.

You yourself have used the chronology to support points in the past so if you are going to use it in those instances you have to accept it in other instances.

Also, here is something from ST.COM stating that the Essex (spoken of in the chronology) was a Daedalus class ship:

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/libr...cle/123657.html

This is a quote from page IV in the chronology:

"At about the same time, Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry coincidentally expressed his concern with keeping Star Trek books and other projects consistent with the show itself. He was especially concerned because it was so difficult for an outside writer to be aware of all the intricate back story for Star Trek that has accumulated over the years. Gene admitted that it was even a problem for Star Trek staff writers and for himself, simply because there were so many Star Trek episodes and movies to keep track of. (Of course the more successful the show becomes the worse the problem gets.) At a meeting called to discuss the issue, Gene realized that the solution was to compile a chronology to serve as a reference to writers. Gene suggested that Star Trek designer Mike Okuda might be interested in undertaking such a project, not knowing that Mike had already started preliminary work on this document! Encouraged by Gene's confidence, Mike and Denise compiled the book you now hold in your hands."

The fact that Gene Roddenberry sanctioned and authorized the chronology is enough for me to call it canon.

i am quite disappointed with the fact that they stole the "AKIRA" design.

How did they "steal" the Akira design? It is owned by Paramount.

I liked the idea of using a ship design that has one similar in the future of the timeline. It allows us to see that the ships did progress and it may also show that in the future the Akira design may have been created by a ship designer that had a flair for historic ships in which he would have created the ship design to honor the NX-01

I mean, that they didnt think of anything new.

i still like ENT tho!

i am quite disappointed with the fact that they stole the "AKIRA" design.

How did they "steal" the Akira design? It is owned by Paramount.

I liked the idea of using a ship design that has one similar in the future of the timeline. It allows us to see that the ships did progress and it may also show that in the future the Akira design may have been created by a ship designer that had a flair for historic ships in which he would have created the ship design to honor the NX-01

I mean, that they didnt think of anything new.

i still like ENT tho!

What they did was no different then basing TNG's Enterprise-D on the TOS Enterprise and basing Voyager on TNG's Enterprise-D. I loved the Akira-class, so I was quite excited to see the NX-class be based on that design. :wub: I just don't see how fans can't assume that the Akira-class would be based on the NX-class. :wub:

There's a difference between "based on" and "ripped off". The E original and E-D share nothing other than general hull layout; same's true between the E-D and Voy, though the similarities are even fewer. The NX and the Akira, from a distance are carbon-copies except for the positioning of the pylons. Anyway,,, debated this too much over the past couple of years. No big deal; just ignore me. :wub:

From a distance, all 6 NCC-1701 Enterprises look the same to the casual viewer. :laugh: My point is, the NX-class is based on the Akira-class due to the fans expressing their appreciation for the Akira-class. They were just trying to give us, what they felt we wanted. Who can blame them for that?