Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Mixed Or New Cast Movies?

Which would you prefer?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer?

• Mixed cast
    • New cast
    • Neither

Who would you like to see in the 11th Star Trek movie?!

My vote is for a mixed cast movie! Most tv shows don't get a spin-off, so basing a movie on the tv show is fairly easy.

However, Star Trek has become a franchise, so I say go with a mixed-cast movie!

You didn't put TNG on the poll? What up with that bro! I voted mixed cast but that's only because I want to see Picard again. I do think it would be cool to have a TNG/DS9 movie.

They said that if they did a 5th TNG movie, it'd probably be a direct sequal to NEMESIS, and only if the movie was a huge success. Since NEMESIS did horrible at the box office, I'm assuming TNG is over.

I'd love to see a mixed cast movie though!

EDITTED TO ADD:

Is anyone against a "new cast" movie?

No, I am not against a new cast I just voted that way. I want the timeline at that end to move on (sorry sisters) I want answers about Future Guy. Who. What. When. Where. Why, a new cast in charge of the Ent. set further along in time would float my boat.

Perhaps the new cast could be introduced on an episode of ENT, while tangling with FG they get sent back to Archers time and it is imperative they return to the future without letting anyone in ENT time find out (?) But how will they return…. What would happen if anyone did find out…. Are some of the questions the show could explore?

Then having introduced the new crew on ENT they hit the big-screen with the mother of all battles against FG to reset the damaged timeline (damaged by the Borg) once and for all! YAY! After the movie premiers, the very next episode of ENT reflects the victory of the Ent in the future over FG and all of the things people said were wrong with the continuity of ENT finds all is as it should be from that point on!

I've been thinking about it... and I changed my vote!

It's one thing to have "a" character do a crossover, or have cameos, short appearances, and such... But, don't ya'll think it'd be chaotic to just through varrious people in one movie?

TOS - Syndication makes it huge, we get 6 movies.

TNG - HUGE in syndication, we get 4 movies.

DS9 - Average ratings in syndication, so no movie.

VOY - Average ratings on UPN, so no movie.

ENT - Too early for a movie.

Anyway, those are "MY" thoughts!

Whatever they come out with, I'll probably like it! :lol:

I definitely want another TNG movie. As I have said many times before if it doesn't have Brent Spiner and/or Patrick Stewart I won't be going. I only saw a few episodes of DS9. When TNN starts airing it I'll probably watch it. I have seen more episodes of Voyager in the past 6 months than I did when it originally aired and I have started watching Enterprise more frequently. None of these series has captured me so completely as TNG did. I don't think there are the numbers to support a DS9 or Voyager movie. I think if Paramount decides to go with a new cast that they need to have a couple of existing characters involved in introducing them. In all of the movies to date we have known the characters very well and I would have a difficult time going into a Trek movie with all unknown characters because of that.

There was a poll like this already. I believe a mixed cast won the vote.

I definitely want another TNG movie.  As I have said many times before if it doesn't have Brent Spiner and/or Patrick Stewart I won't be going.  I only saw a few episodes of DS9.  When TNN starts airing it I'll probably watch it.  I have seen more episodes of Voyager in the past 6 months than I did when it originally aired and I have started watching Enterprise more frequently.  None of these series has captured me so completely as TNG did.  I don't think there are the numbers to support a DS9 or Voyager movie.  I think if Paramount decides to go with a new cast that they need to have a couple of existing characters involved in introducing them.  In all of the movies to date we have known the characters very well and I would have a difficult time going into a Trek movie with all unknown characters because of that.

Me, too I would rather have at least one more TNG movie, there is just so many loose ends left to tie up! And I agree with soong_girl, in that I am most familiar with TNG. I haven't watched much more than three or four episodes of each of the other series, so a movie with them I wouldn't watch. And a new cast....I don't know it'll depend on what the trailer looks like on whether I rent it when it comes to video...NOPE, no seeing a New Cast movie in theaters FOR ME!!! Gotta have TNG, Must have TNG!!

Shouting at us won't help.

I know because I tried that when TOS movies ended.

Everyone all busted up over the possibility of the TNG ending needs to realise they are not the first ones to have Trek they really care for taken away from them.

It has happened to me, lets see... 1 TOS, 2 TOS movies, 3TNG series, 4DS9..... thats it, 4 time's! (5 if it is the end for TNG, I really did not shed a tear for VOY) 4 time's Trek I loved has been snatched away from me.

Please try to deal with it with a little more grace.

Everyone all busted up over the possibility of the TNG ending needs to realise they are not the first ones to have Trek they really care for taken away from them

Amen, Alterego!

I was extremely bummed when the TOS cast stopped making movies. While I do enjoy the other series, TNG and VOY (don't really care for DS9 or ENT), I was disappointed to know I would never see any more adventures of the Enterprise with Captain Kirk in the center seat. I do continue to see all the Star Trek films on opening night, but I only bought the first 6 on DVD. Now, I read novels and fan fiction starring the Original Series crew and let my imagination take me away!

I did realize that, alas, age had caught up with my heroes and I believe the same is happening with the TNG cast.

Shouting at us won't help.

Everyone all busted up over the possibility of the TNG ending needs to realise they are not the first ones to have Trek they really care for taken away from them.

It has happened to me, lets see... 1 TOS, 2 TOS movies, 3TNG series, 4DS9..... thats it, 4 time's! (5 if it is the end for TNG, I really did not shed a tear for VOY) 4 time's Trek I loved has been snatched away from me.

Please try to deal with it with a little more grace.

Sorry about that, got a bit carried away with discovering the font, size and colour combo boxes.

I love TOS and I personally think that their films are the best, the closest TNG came was with First Contact. If I thought we could get more TOS then I would give them my vote before you could say "The Wrath of Kahn", but it can never happen without the best fictional Doctor ever.

I have really enjoyed the TNG films (even Insurection!) and want to see more as there is still life left in the old girl. I know its down to personal taste but I never really got into DS9 or Voyager for reasons that I could go into but would take quite a while and its not my intention to slaughter what other Star Trek fans may like. However I could not see myself being as excited for a Voyager or DS9 film in the same way and in my opinion we have some great actors in TNG combined with the fact that it is the last real connection we really have with the creator.

TNG films are too good to finish now and I am not ready to give up on them, even if I was the only person in the cinema. :wow:

I wouldn't mind more TOS movies either, I really liked the ones I saw. But not without McCoy. (it's just not fair :wow: )

I voted mixed cast. They wouldn't have to include everybody, and we'd get to see some of our old favorites. The interaction would be interesting, taking characters who WE know, but who don't know each other and seeing how those relationships develop.

I also think there are any number of interesting story lines that could result from a mixed-cast movie.

I think this makes the third or fourth time I've voted on this topic. But I'll keep saying it.

:bow: TNG/DS9!!!!

The possibilities are endless...

I think we need one more tng film to give that cast some closure. Like with Star Trek 6 for those actors. However, i wouldnt want a repeat of generations with a few tng characters signing up to guest appear in a subsequent fim. Completely new characters? What about that, in a Star Wars style trilogy Star Trek epic? Might be interesting. With the odd character popping up through the story.

I'm a bit torn on the question.

On the one hand, I'll miss Data and the other TNG characters if they weren't in another movie, but....it may be time to meet some new characters and start developing them.

Everyone has to start out somewhere. =)

Delenn2

Guest Guest
I think we need one more tng film to give that cast some closure. Like with Star Trek 6 for those actors. However, i wouldnt want a repeat of generations with a few tng characters signing up to guest appear in a subsequent fim. Completely new characters? What about that, in a Star Wars  style trilogy Star Trek epic? Might be interesting. With the odd character popping up through the story.

I agree that we don't need a repeat of Generations but closure for the TNG cast would be nice. I don't really like the idea of a completly new cast however because I think that there are plenty of great characters in the Star Trek world that have yet to be in the movies and so I don't see any reason to bring in new faces that we've never met before. For most of the crews it's taken almost two whole seasons for us to really get to know the characters, so I really don't know that we could fall in love with a new crew in two hours.

:bow: That's wierd.. That last post was me but for some reason I wasn't logged in anymore... Oh well...

New characters are introduced to us in any film we go to see at the cinema. We get to know them as we go along for the length of the film, as we are forced to so as to understand the plot . Relying on old characters is a bit lazy and often this does not appeal to the average non-trekkie cinema goer. I mean in Nemesis a lot would think "why is whoopi goldberg an extra in a crowd" or more generally "how are these people all related, why are they there". WE obviously know, but a lot of my mates when i drag them to see Star Trek, they generally dont enjoy it: i dont know these people! Star Trek has to appeal to everyone if we wnt it to continue at the box office. However, Star Wars did SO well even though no-one knew the characters before; and by the third film we knew them inside out. Now dont get me wrong, im not doing a Star Trek- Star Wars comparison. That's a crappy argument. But what I AM saying is, if new characters are introduced then we may get more of a 'going to see a film' experience that would appeal to everyone as opposed to a big Star Trek TNG episode where we are just catching up with the gang as it were. New characters, more interest. Make the movie series the next NEW SERIES.

Sorry, i dont think my point came through as clear as i intended. Basically what I was trying to say is: because tng characters have been so well developed in the past, they are not as well developed in the films. We sort of just leap into their lives instead of having an introduction to them and then developing them throughout the films. In your average film, the character is introduced and we then get to know them throughout the film through good development. That's why non-trekkies feel that they are missing something. New characters in a ST movie would have to be put through this 'getting to know them' process. And this would appeal to all.

You make some good pionts and I do agree that the TNG films have been a bit lazy when it came to further developing the characters. I wish that they werew able to stand alone from the series as well as the first six movies did.

Your also right that with most films we don't know the characters before we walk into the theater. The difference IMO is one of depth and numbers. In most movies we get to know two maybe three characters well before the end of the movie and even then not with the depth that we say know Picard or Data. Also one or two new characters can hardly equal a crew of seven rich characters who we already know and love. Most sci-fi adventure films suffer when it comes to character development. It makes sense really because between complex plots, action, and flashy special effects 2 hours is leaves you very little time for character development. This is one of the reasons why I think Star Trek is one of the best sci-fi's! We know the characters well enough already that the 2 hours can be spent on a better plot and developing a villain without having to sacrafice good main characters. Star Wars is probably the most successful as far as fitting good story, good action, and good characters into a short amount of time. But as much I as I love it you have to admit that the Star Wars characters don't have the depth of the Star Trek ones. And even with Star Wars it took 3 films for us to really get to know them very well.